Ham with???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mk3_gurl

Assistant Cook
Hello,

I have a fully cooked smoked ham, and was wondering if I could say cook it with some carrots and potatoes...kind of like you would with a roast. If not, what type of seaonings could I add to the ham when I heat it?

Thank you,

mk3_gurl

A fully cooked ham is meant to be only heated through if you choose to. Usually no more than 12-15 minutes per lb on 325. You could add carrots and potatoes but you might not have enough time to cook them through, depending on the size of your ham. They wouldn't add flavor to the ham but the ham would flavor the veggies.

I coat my ham with a mixture of brown sugar and apple jelly after scoring and studding with whole cloves. I also pour Vernor's ginger ale over all. My family loves this. The jelly and sugar give the ham a beautiful mahogony glaze.

You will get a jillion other ideas for coating ham.

img_705162_0_0ea3f1f48f66328634a4f2db507d6e86.jpg

Thanks. I made six 12 ounce loaves this morning. Would make some nice ham sandwiches. It's sorta an Italian bread with Sir Lancelot high gluten, Pillsbury bread, 00 soft winter wheat, malted barley and Durum flours.

Thanks. I made six 12 ounce loaves this morning. Would make some nice ham sandwiches. It's sorta an Italian bread with Sir Lancelot high gluten, Pillsbury bread, 00 soft winter wheat, malted barley and Durum flours.

That gorgeous bread would also make a great savory bread pudding with the ham and some sauteed spinach. What a great dish for a Sunday Brunch! :chef:

MK_3: I like to heat ham through with maple syrup. Baked sweets and collard greens are my favorite sides, but I wouldn't cook them with the ham.

The way we always did it in our family was:
Score the fat on top of the ham...
Drain a can of sliced pineapple, reserving juice...
Mix pineapple juice with brown sugar to taste...
Place pineapple rings on top of ham, securing with toothpicks where needed..
Spoon some of the juice mixture over the top of ham...
Tent with foil and bake at 350, basting with juice mixture now and then.

Twice baked potatoes are awfully good with ham...
Scoop the insides out of baked potatoes, mash with butter, S&P and a little sour cream. Stuff inside potato shell, top with grated cheese and bake at 400 degrees until hot and bubbly. I usually prepare them a day ahead and refrigerate until I'm ready to bake them. In that case, start them out at 350 until they're heated through, and then crank up the heat to brown the tops.

Then fix a Green Bean Casserole, and you're good to go!

I love the above suggestions, too...you cant' go wrong with any of them!

I make a crust using brown sugar, brown mustard and crushed ginger snaps!

crustedeasterham.jpg

Scalloped potatoes AuGratin and green beans would be nice!

Day 1: Ham, potatoes (scalloped or mashed), green beans.

Day 2: Cold ham, potato salad, corn on the cob and/or 3 bean salad.

Day 3: Ham and beans (don't forget to add the bone when cooking the beans), cornbread.

:)Barbara

I have an 11.5 lb. picnic ham that needs cooking. It is not cured. Any thoughts?

When I was growing up my mom always made Spanish rice with left-over ham. She'd run it through a Foley food mill to grind it up and mix it with rice, sauted peppers and onion and spaghetti sauce.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom