"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 11-27-2007, 11:42 AM   #11
Master Chef

T-roy, my husband has the Foxfire books one through four, but he'd forgotten about them until I mentioned it. Thanks for the idea!

Bob, I would appreciate that.

Katie, I think, being German, Grandma probably made her blood sausage with oats and barley, rather than rice, which wasn't grown in Iowa. I'm interested to hear that you like it, though. It goes to show that some things taste a lot better than they sound.

Dave, it does sound pretty straight forward, except I didn't think about the eyeballs. Do you remove them? I have actually tasted homemade head cheese, years ago. Best I remember, it tasted pretty good, but was awfully rich.

Old 11-27-2007, 11:56 AM   #12
Senior Cook

I remember seeing a play based on the Foxfire books, where the grandmother (Jessica Tandy, I think) was trying to get the eye out of the hog, and sprayed blood or whatever all over her country western singer nephew, who, I think, was trying to get her to sell her land. Very funny.

I have had bludkorv (Norwegian) from the relatives' farm as a kid (aweful - but, I was a kid!) More recently, had boudin noir in France, and morcilla in Spain. Not too bad!

My grandmother used to make a product called sylte, with veal shoulder and beef, spices, and, I think a veal knuckle for gelatin. Simmer for hours, take the meat off the bone, chop, and put in loaf pans with the juices. After chilling, it was sliced, and served with vinegar as a condiment. I loved it.

Old 11-27-2007, 12:10 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Cook View Post
That would be great! Thank you Katie.
Boo, hiss! I just spoke with someone at Gornick's Jubilee Market in Chisholm, MN. As of a month ago they quit shipping their products. Rats.

However, I also spoke with the folks at Paul's Italian Market. They do ship, depending on the destination. Temp challenges, you know. Blood sausage is $2.29 per pound, which is a very good price. Last year Gornick's was selling it at $2.49 per pound.

The product is shipped frozen, which gives me a good chance of receiving it very, very cold or still partially frozen. I'm gonna order tons. Yeah!
Old 11-27-2007, 12:27 PM   #14
Master Chef

It sounds good, Walt.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:27 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
I love blood sausage. It's delicious and the name is a bit misleading.

The blood sausage I know is made of ground pork and spices (sage especially), rice, etc. There's probably only a small amount of "blood" per ton of sausage. It's all packed in a natural casing and sold in rings.
This recipe sounds like it contains a fair amount of blood: Blood sausage or black pudding recipe Sorry, it just doesn't sound appealing to me.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:49 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
This recipe sounds like it contains a fair amount of blood: Blood sausage or black pudding recipe Sorry, it just doesn't sound appealing to me.
The blood sausage I'm familiar with is nothing like blood pudding. It's made with ground pork, cooked rice, salt, pepper, sage, and blood. At the most there's probably only a small amount of blood per ton of other ingredients.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:39 PM   #17
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Bulander View Post
I remember seeing a play based on the Foxfire books, where the grandmother (Jessica Tandy, I think) was trying to get the eye out of the hog, and sprayed blood or whatever all over her country western singer nephew, who, I think, was trying to get her to sell her land. Very funny.
In the book little old Aunt Arie is having no luck with the eyeballs so she hands the head to her interviewer so he can give it a try. The interview continues with occasional references to the eyeball removal process, when it finally pops out Aunt Arie tosses it out the back door onto a tin roof where it rolls of & ends up hanging off the clothesline.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:53 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Just think what Aunt Arie could have done if she had a melon baller.....

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 07:39 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to Cajun Cook
@ mellon baller. I have that one. I don't have all the Foxfire series yet but have been collecting them over that past year when I see them for a good price. A wonderful window to Appalachian life as well as good practical information for anyone that chooses to live that way.

Jim
Old 11-27-2007, 08:47 PM   #20
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to Cajun Cook
**** It Bob! I knew I could count on you! Good information as always. Thank you friend.

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
I

Jim....

You are correct that Boudin Rouge (Red boudin) is illegal to make unless you are a Federal/State inspected processing plant that slaughters it own hogs.
The Boudin Rouge can only be retailed from that location. The maker cannot wholesale the product nor can he sell the raw product (blood) to other manufacturers. Babineaux's in Breaux Bridge is the only Legal manufacturer of fresh Boudin Rouge in Louisiana that I know of. There may be a place in Abbeville (Hebert's?) I'm not sure. As you know, 99.9% of the boudin sold in Louisiana is Boudin Blanc (White Boudin) If you see Red Boudin in a small town/road side market it is indeed illegal product in Louisiana.

There are countless other "Boudins" (Blood sausages) on the world market. What their exact ingredients are (Beef blood?) or the FDA regulations on the manufacturer, sales, distribution, import, export etc. are, I don't have a clue.
I do not believe them to be the exact same product as what you and I know as "Red Boudin"

Tags
None