Head cheese

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pmeheran

Senior Cook
Little by little headcheese has been disappearing from grocery and deli counters. Now the only head cheese I can find is a very bland type with only a few ingredients in it. I know there are hundreds of different types. Down here in south Texas, the people have no idea what I am talking about when I ask for it. When they find what passes for head cheese on the counter, they look at it like it will bite them. Yet, later you find that they eat sweet breads[thymus and other gland meat], tripas[intestine], menudo [beef tripe soup], etc. In regard to the head cheese, if you don't know what I am talking about, it is a kind of meat pudding with herbs, spices and little bits of this that and the other thing, an excellent way of using end pieces that otherwise would go to waste. I grew fond of it when I was a kid. I guess I will just have to content myself with the blah stuff they have around here. Maybe, I will have to think up a good recipe and make it myself. Too bad I am allergic to peppers, it might be nice to experiment with them in making head cheese. Sorry folks, just blowing off a little steam.

We're fortunate to have a fairly large Polish contingent in a town about 30 miles from us. One of the stores there sells the best head cheese I've ever tasted- mostly meat with not too much sulze (gelatin). As far as I know Tripe is the lining of a cows stomach.
I understand Dallas has a fair number of 'German' Delis.

Last edited:
As a kid I loved Head Cheese.Til the day I came running from school looking for a snack. Opened frig door and there staring at me was a full hog's,head staring at me eye'sand all. That was the end for me.YUK phoeey.
kadesHope you find a great head.
kadesma

kadesma said:
As a kid I loved Head Cheese.Til the day I came running from school looking for a snack. Opened frig door and there staring at me was a full hog's,head staring at me eye'sand all. That was the end for me.YUK phoeey.
kadesma

I had the same experience, Ma. Went to visit great grandma, and sitting on her kitchen table was a dead pig head, totally intact!

kadesma

The brain and eyeballs are the best! Think evil laugh here.

We're fortunate to have a fairly large Polish contingent in a town about 30 miles from us. One of the stores there sells the best head cheese I've ever tasted- mostly meat with not too much sulze (gelatin). As far as I know Tripe is the lining of a cows stomach.
I understand Dallas has a fair number of 'German' Delis.

Yes it comes in two types, ugh. I ran into an "I am sorry I can't define this moment" The stuff is very high protein, and if you cook it and then crack off the fat the next day it will not be quite as fatty. Needless to say, most recipes add enough stuff to it to make it the new food group.

I had the same experience, Ma. Went to visit great grandma, and sitting on her kitchen table was a dead pig head, totally intact!

I am very glad it was not still alive, that would really be strange. When you are poor, you render all. In south Texas they also steam a whole cow's head, remove the meat and stuff it into tacos, whith all the seasonings. Speaking for the locals---yum!

I thnk last time I had any, when my grandfather was still alive. He used to make an aweosme headcheese. I remember it well. Ah, the days gone by...

I always used to sneak Dad's headcheese, he bought it for himself, I don't think he realized one of his kids might like it.

??????Please explain? My sister Rosie used to say, "I don't like it! I would say you haven't tried it! She would say, "So, I still don't like it. I would then roll my eyes.......No not like the idiots today texting!!!!!!
I loved this stuff and would eat til I could eat no more.I'd never seen it in it's original form though and when I did it scared the living daylights outof me. From then on it was a no no for me. The thought of a whole hogs head threw for a loop
kades

kadesma
:ermm::bb::bb::clap:

i like good head cheese, but don't get any these days unless i make it myself. the sulze is delicious too, to me. it's mouthfuls of meaty, flavorful broth dissolving over the solid parts of the head cheese. i guess what i'm calling head cheese today is more accurately a "cold meat" because when i make it i use pig's feet (plus some hocks for lean). i haven't had or seen bloodwurst for many years either. what they call souse loaf today is ludicrous looking with its fake gelatin and even faker luncheon meat taste. i will probably be the first fool you hear about ordering authentic head cheese online one day....:)

Back
Top Bottom