Help: "Pork Shoulder Blade Roast" and "picnic half'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jpinmaryland

Sous Chef
I tried cooking these a couple of times, using the recipe for boston butt or pork shoulder where we cook it low and slow, about 250 degrees for quite a long time. The first time I did this I had a boston butt was excellent just like the picture in that thread here. It was perfect pulled pork, fork tender.

Now I picked up these pork cuts labeled "pork shoulder blade roast" and "picnic half". I cant remember which ones I made but on two occasions the boston butt recipe did not seem to work. They came out tough. I could cut them with a knife and they were okay but not like the first time.

I was wondering are these different cuts of meat and should I cook them differently to get that pulled pork feeling? Or is my supermarket playing games with the labels? Or maybe I am doing something wrong? I know I turned up the heat a little at first for maybe 45 min. then took back to 250...

I dunno, what are these types of cuts and how should I try to cook them?

There was probably nothing wrong with the meat.

If the meat was tough, you probably didn't cook it long enough. If you have a meat thermometer, cook the meat to an internal temperature of around 195F - 200F.

Pork Shoulder Blade Roast (AKA Boston Butt), and a few other names are all part and parcel the same cut of pork...The top portion of a pork shoulder.
The "Picnic Half" is the lower portion of a pork shoulder...The Boston Butt, and Picnic together make up the pork shoulder....Both are excellent using the various slow, low temperature, long cooking methods....

I agree with Andy...You may have not cooked the roast to a pullable stage...Around 180* the meat is sliceable....185* Sliceable, and somewhat pullable...190*- 195* The meat is very pullable. Like Andy suggested, a thermometer would prove very valuable.

Enjoy!

Ditto to what both of these gentlemen have said. I try to reach no less than 195 F. 210 was my goal one time but all I could get to was 205 and it was like cutting butter...heaven! I did that in my oven one Christmas Eve.

okay, we'll just do it longer. Probably only or 4 hours those times and the thermometer was broke or the battery dead..thanks.

I would say you probably have to double that. The Boston Butt I did the time above I think weighted about 17 lbs. I cooked it for 20 hours.

Back
Top Bottom