Help w/ Sour Curry Pork...(mother's day)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jpinmaryland

Sous Chef
Hello again. I offered to make dinner for my wife tomorrow. Pork is in fridge ready to go. got lots of veggies like: string beans, potatoes, bell peppers, onions, etc. One problem I am committed now to the sour curry seasoning mixture...I told my wife I'd do curry because we just did stir fried pork today. I pulled out the can of Green Curry paste. "How about this one, honey?" Her eyes got all teary eyed and misty. "NO, please, not the green one." "Oh, the green one. This friendly green colored can of curry paste what be wrong." "You know what's wrong, it's too hot." "No, green is cool, red is hot." "PLease no, Ive learned this lesson before, green is nuclear. " "Okay okay, pick one you want..."

She picks the sour curry in the yellow can. Now I am backed into a corner. I've made the sour curry mixture once before with codfish and potatoes and green beans it was pretty good actually. But have not done this w/ pork. What do you guys suggest?

I am thinking of putting it with the potatoes and beans and peppers. WIth some fresh lemon grass, maybe some tamarind sauce and something salty e.g. fish sauce..

Or grill the pork on skewers, and do the veggies in the curry paste..

What flavor suggestions do you come up with? thx.

I got all that stuff except for the lime leaves. So that's do-able.

I was thinking a little more and if I was to do a pork satay, could I marinate the pork in the sour curry mixture? Or would that not work? Like some vinegar/sugar/soy/curry mixture? Is it better to go with traditional satay like peanut or a ketchup/garlic?

On the curry...can I throw in other spices like Garam Masala to jazz it up or does that just compete with the other flavors? I usually have good results w/ these mixes when I add fresh garlic, lemon grass, etc..I think I've tried to add garam masala before with indifferent results. Same question with like black mustard seeds. Will this help my sour curry mixture or not really? thx.

jpinmaryland said:
I got all that stuff except for the lime leaves. So that's do-able.

I was thinking a little more and if I was to do a pork satay, could I marinate the pork in the sour curry mixture? Or would that not work? Like some vinegar/sugar/soy/curry mixture? Is it better to go with traditional satay like peanut or a ketchup/garlic?

On the curry...can I throw in other spices like Garam Masala to jazz it up or does that just compete with the other flavors? I usually have good results w/ these mixes when I add fresh garlic, lemon grass, etc..I think I've tried to add garam masala before with indifferent results. Same question with like black mustard seeds. Will this help my sour curry mixture or not really? thx.

The marinade will definitely add flavor to the pork, and add some moisture as well. The only thing that I would worry about a bit would be whether or not it clashes with the dipping sauce.

With the garam masala, one thing you could do is seperate say a cup of the curry sauce from the main batch then season lightly with the masala until you get the flavor you're looking for. If you don't like it, then you can discard whatever you seperated from the main batch.

Back
Top Bottom