Help with Ham Steaks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elf

Senior Cook
I am in a rut, I want to do something different. I am tired of grilled bar b que sauce, mustard glaze, in the oven with apple or pineapple or orange juices with brown sugar. Any one have a recipe for ham steak that is different?

How about using apricots. Drain a can of apricot halves, saving the liquid. Then mix some of the liquid with some brown sugar (sorry), cider vinegar and some nutmeg. Pour the mixture over ham slice in a microwave-safe dish, top with apricot halves. Cover and microwave until ham is done. If you don't have apricots, you could use peaches instead.

Last edited:
I am in a rut, I want to do something different. I am tired of grilled bar b que sauce, mustard glaze, in the oven with apple or pineapple or orange juices with brown sugar. Any one have a recipe for ham steak that is different?
I am assuming you have fried it and made ham gravy?
It's down home cooking--but hard to beat...

I searched goggle,then Food net work, I finally found something interesting Sautéed Ham Steak Pineapple It is a Sara Moulton recipe
2 Ham steaks
2 tablespoons of butter
2 tablespoons of canola oil
24 ounces of pineapple chucks i( not in heavy syrup)Drained saving the juice
1/4 cup of orange juice
1 tablespoon of whole grain mustard
tablespoon of Dijon mustard

I cut the ham steaks to fit the fry pan, melted the butter and add the oil, pan fried the ham steaks till brown, about 5 min. the flipped them, I did this in 2 batches, then placed in warm oven. I place the pineapple chunks on several paper towels to dry, then placed them in fry pan till they started to brown, about 5 min. then added the pineapple and orange juice to the pan, reducing to about half, then ADD back in the ham steaks and pineapple chunks, simmer for a few minutes. The Ham steak came out juice and the sauce was light and not sweet.

How about creole? Sauté the trinity (peppers, celery and onion) in butter, toss in some chopped garlic. Add a can of chopped tomatoes and simmer for about 20 minutes. Add some heat (preferably Louisanna hot sauce), thyme, and the ham steaks. Cook till hot, about 10 more minutes.

Serve with grits and biscuits.

This may sound strange, but it works.

Marinate the ham steak in Coke, yep, Coca Cola. Only the high test here, no Coke light.

The next day caramelize some onions. They have to be brown. Remove from pan. Add the marinated ham. Fry until browned and done. Remove ham from pan. Add some of the Coke. Scrape the pan so that all of those brown bits are incorporated into the sauce. Let it reduce a bit. Add the onions to the pan and when warm put over the ham steak.

We do this for breakfast with fried eggs and taters. For company will add bicuits and gravy.

The ham with Coke is sort of a variant of red eye gravy, that is traditionally made with coffee. You can get a lot of recipes for the McCoy (traditional red eye gravy) if you Google. We use this recipe because everyone seems to love it, including ourselves.

This is an original recipe from ex-Yankees neo-Southerners.

Enjoy, it really is tasty.

This may sound strange, but it works.

Marinate the ham steak in Coke, yep, Coca Cola. Only the high test here, no Coke light.

The next day caramelize some onions. They have to be brown. Remove from pan. Add the marinated ham. Fry until browned and done. Remove ham from pan. Add some of the Coke. Scrape the pan so that all of those brown bits are incorporated into the sauce. Let it reduce a bit. Add the onions to the pan and when warm put over the ham steak.

We do this for breakfast with fried eggs and taters. For company will add bicuits and gravy.

The ham with Coke is sort of a variant of red eye gravy, that is traditionally made with coffee. You can get a lot of recipes for the McCoy (traditional red eye gravy) if you Google. We use this recipe because everyone seems to love it, including ourselves.

This is an original recipe from ex-Yankees neo-Southerners.

Enjoy, it really is tasty.

I bake my hams in coke, along with clove and a little added brown sugar...
Makes a great baked ham...

Back
Top Bottom