Hog Maw (Pa Dutch)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

donnagodfrey

Assistant Cook
I mentioned that a tradition for us was grandma's Hog Maw or stuffed pig stomach. Use always used home made bulk sausage that often was sage sausage. I have used Jummy Dean Sage Sausage and it tastes right. She served it a bit different than her recipe. She would open the stomach and take out the dressing and place it in her favorite blue casserole she got as a wedding gift. She than took the crisp stomach through her black cast iron grinder that was on the side of her work table. She than would serve that on the side. Most of us took it and mixed it in with the stuffing.

I do remember she sometimes cubed sweet potatoes and mixed them with the Irish potatoes. She always was creative. A real Chef! :chef:

HOG MAW.....grandma's recipe

1 large pig's stomach, well cleaned of all fat
1 pound fresh link sausage, cut into 1/2-inch slices
1 pound smoked linked sausage, cut into 1/2-inch slices
6-8 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
several cloves of garlic, minced
2 grated carrots for color
a hefty pinch of saffron(You take a 1/4 cup of water and bring to a boil. Add the saffron and allow to stand 30 minutes. Than add this to the mixture.)
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped (or to taste)
Salt and pepper to taste
3 tablespoons flour, mixed with 3 tablespoons cool water until smooth to make a paste.
Mix together sausages, potatoes and onions and garlic. Add parsley, salt and pepper, grated carrots and saffron water. Sew small opened end of stomach
with cooking twine to close. Stuff sausage mixture into stomach, pressing well with each addition.
Stomach has a lot of elasticity and will stretch to almost any size necessary. When all stuffing has been
placed inside, close open end with twine.
Place stuffed stomach in shallow roasting pan. Roast in moderate (350 I think) oven until potatoes are tender about 2 hours. Baste about every 20 minutes with pan juices. She would have some broth heated on the side to baste more if needed. I noticed it had saffron in it also.
Remove stomach from roasting pan. Drain off most of the fat. Make the flour paste in a small bowl.
Place pan on burner on top of stove. Add 2 cups of water and bring to a boil, scraping up all of the browned bits in
the bottom of the pan. Gradually add flour paste, whisking rapidly until the gravy thickens.
To serve, slice stomach into 1 inch thick slices. Pass gravy separately.

Later I was sharing with an Italian friend about this tradition and she got so tickled because they also had a way to make it and served it with a rich tomato sauce......I have that recipe too.

Stomach of any animal has never sounded too appetizing to me, but I hear there's some fantastic creations that can be made with them.

Thanks fr sharing!

Back
Top Bottom