HOME COUNTRY PORK TERRINE
Has anybody created their own homemade terrine ? Would enjoy hearing from you and your commentary.
Here is our family recipe ...
20 grams French style creamy butter
2 cloves minced finely garlic
2 shallots minced finely
3 swigs of Thyme Herb or dried thyme
1 bay leaf
200 grams of manteca de cerdo ( pork fat can be purchased from Butcher)
150 grams calves liver sliced in strips
400 grams pork lion sliced in strips
40 ml. brandy
50 ml. dry white wine of choice
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
50 grams of day old Italian or French baguette grated with parsley, a pinch of oregano and basil
1 tblsp. milk ( to be combined with the bread crumbs )
1 egg lightly beaten
20 slices of bacon of choice to wrap around the terrine loaf
1. sauté butter in large skillet very slowly on low flame
2. sauté the shallots, bay leaf, thyme, garlic, pork fat, the liver strips and the pork lion strips for 3 to 5 minutes
3. incorporate the brandy, the wine, the salt, the nutmeg and stir lightly
4. slowly simmer until warm ( not boiling hot )
5. put in a large casserole rectangular glass vessel and let it cool half an hour, and refrigerate overnite in alum. foil covered.
6. preheat oven to 180 centig degrees
7. combine the bread crumbs and the milk
8. remove the thyme swigs and the bay leaf
9. place the meat in your Food Processor twice and then, place mixture in large bowl
10. whisk an egg lightly with the bread crumbs and add to the meat mixture and combine thoroughly
11. in a large loaf baking mold, greased with olive oil and wrapped with the bacon slices around the pork and liver terrine loaf; cover in foil and bake for 35 minutes
12. place a skewer or toothpick in centre, and it is ready when the skewer or toothpick comes out totally clean
13. let cool 30 mins. and place in refrigerator overnight with a heavy stone on top of the foil wrapped block terrine to firm
14. take out a half hour, before lunch time and let come to room temperature
15. unwrap alumn. foil very carefully
16. serve with: capers, pickles, olives, cherry tomatoes and Dijon Mustard Green Peppercorn and Traditional Dijon and Antique Grain Gold Dijon
17. Also serve with breadsticks, crusty baguette and crackers of choice
18. Cava Rosé or Prosecco Rosé DOC sparkling wines are a perfect pair
or Sherry Dry ...
*** PHOTO TO FOLLOW
Have lovely wkend.