"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 02-03-2012, 09:50 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Homemade Sausage - Help

I tried my hand at homemade sausage the other day and they came out so-so. I used my Kitchenaid meat grinder and the medium plate which overworked the meat. I used pork shoulder and trimmed some of the fat off. I split the batch and made half breakfast sausage half chorizo. I let the spices sit overnight to work into the meat. I stuffed the casing with each and tried them out. Neither is great. Beyond being over-processed, neither one had a great flavor. Maybe not sweet enough or zesty enough. The chorizo is just too earthy and not spicy or oily enough.

I'd love to hear back from you guys for some tried-and-true recipes for sausage. Breakfast, chorizo, anything that could go on the grill, or otherwise worth all that effort.

Thanks!

Old 02-03-2012, 10:04 AM   #2
Executive Chef

We found the meat to be over processed when we ran it through the smaller die, so we stopped with the larger die. You have the problem of all folks that make sausage at home, finding a recipe that tastes the way you like it. Just keep trying with small batches until you find what you really like. Test cook some before stuffing the casing and adjust the seasoning until you like it.

I like the recipes in "Louisiana Real and Rustic" as "bases", which we have tweaked to our liking.

Craig

Old 02-03-2012, 10:32 AM   #3
Senior Cook

Location: Central Kentucky---Where The Bluegrass Meets The Mountains
A couple of suggestions that might prove useful:

1. Keep everything cold all the time.
2. It's better to use the large die and grind twice than to use a smaller die.
3. Keep everything cold all the time.
4. After cutting the meat in chunks to fit the grinder, use your herbs and spices to season the chunks. This assures even distribution through the forcemeat.
5. Keep everything cold all the time.
6. Although it's extra work, try removing much of the fat and cutting it into a fine dice. Then mix it back into the forcemeat. This has a serious effect on the final texture.

Oh, yeah. Did I mention that everything should be kept cold, all the time?
Old 02-03-2012, 10:50 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by inchrisin View Post
. The chorizo is just too earthy and not spicy or oily enough.

Thanks!
Add more fat and more spice.

I think most of us would be alarmed to see actually how much fat goes into some sausages. I have heard up to 30% in some sausages. So, for a 4 lb recipe that is one whole pound of pure fat. I don't think you would ever just eat a piece of meat that is one third fat. But in some sausages, you do. Same goes for salt.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:39 AM   #5
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
Add more fat and more spice.

I think most of us would be alarmed to see actually how much fat goes into some sausages. I have heard up to 30% in some sausages. So, for a 4 lb recipe that is one whole pound of pure fat. I don't think you would ever just eat a piece of meat that is one third fat. But in some sausages, you do. Same goes for salt.
This is what I was thinking.

Commercially made sausage has a much higher percentage of fat than one might think to start with, and they use other things.

My first attempt at sausage I liked, though I found them a bit dry. I trimmed the fat from the pork. This past time I just used what I had (I didn't add fat, but I didn't remove it) and the sausage is nice and juicy when cooked, though it doesn't have that greasy thing that commercial can have.

I don't see any need to let the sausage sit overnight, and my sausage making advisor advised against it. The salt added to the sausage helps with binding, and when it sits overnight it is harder to push into the casing, and using the KA you need all the help you can get.

Get the meat very very cold (stick it in the freezer for a while).

Grind it (double grind if you feel the need)

Mix the spice and water in.

Stuff.

Let it sit in the fridge to meld.

Work it as quickly as possible, you want it to stay cold, and ice water is your friend. Don't be shy with it. Don't turn your casings into water balloons, but don't be stingy.

Hope that helps.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:37 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
This is what I was thinking.

OOPS! I got my math wrong. I meant to say "more than one pound of pure fat" when referring to 30% fat content.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:06 PM   #7
Senior Cook

So, any good recommendations for recipes?
Old 02-04-2012, 07:08 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Location: Central Kentucky---Where The Bluegrass Meets The Mountains
Depends on your desires, Inchrisin. Fresh or dry sausages? Smoked or not? Flavor or ethnic profiles? Spicy or mild? Etc. It would help if you gave us some direction.

Here's a nice vension sausage recipe. You can substitute beef and it will still work, but venison really is better.

3 lbs venison or leanish beef
2 lbs pork butt
1 1/2 tbls salt
1 tbls black pepper
1 tbls sugar
1 tls ground sage
4 garlic cloves, minced fine
1 cup water

Cut the meats into pieces that will fit the grinder tube.

Combine the spices and garlic. Sprinkle evenly over the meat pieces. Grind through a medium die. Combine with the water. Stuff into hog casings, twisting and tying them at about six-inch lengths.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:38 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoricFoodie View Post
Depends on your desires, Inchrisin. Fresh or dry sausages? Smoked or not? Flavor or ethnic profiles? Spicy or mild? Etc. It would help if you gave us some direction.

Here's a nice vension sausage recipe. You can substitute beef and it will still work, but venison really is better.

3 lbs venison or leanish beef
2 lbs pork butt
1 1/2 tbls salt
1 tbls black pepper
1 tbls sugar
1 tls ground sage
4 garlic cloves, minced fine
1 cup water

Cut the meats into pieces that will fit the grinder tube.

Combine the spices and garlic. Sprinkle evenly over the meat pieces. Grind through a medium die. Combine with the water. Stuff into hog casings, twisting and tying them at about six-inch lengths.
Well, yeah.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:51 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by inchrisin View Post
So, any good recommendations for recipes?
The "Search" feature is your friend!

Craig

Tags
casing?, homemade, pork, sausage, spices