Honeybaked Ham

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jennyema

Chef Extraordinaire
I was gifted a Honeybaked ham this year by the boss.

Ive never used or eaten one but now this ham is going to be Christmas dinner for some family members that are new to me and I don't want to look like a complete idiot.

On the pamphlet that came with the ham, the Honeybaked people cop out and tell you to serve it at room temperature (unheated). And if you want to heat it, to wrap slices in foil and heat in a low oven for 10min/lb

But I want to heat that whole sucker up and serve it on a platter.

My plan is to cover the whole thing in foil and heat it in a slow oven for 10min/lb. But it has some type of glaze on it, right? Should I take the foil off at the end of warming?

Any experience or thoughts on this?

Thanks!

I believe those are already sliced spirally when you pick it up. Guess they are worried it could get really dry during rewarming.

I bought one many years ago, it came with more paperwork and promotional material than a new car!

The ham was very good even though I overcooked it by heating/baking it in the traditional way. I think the idea of heating it wrapped in foil is a good one, maybe remove the foil for the last 15 or 20 minutes.

I'm glad I tried it and it was very good but IMO it is more hype than ham. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I was told to stand the ham up, fat (big end) side down, wrap with foil and just warm it up, not to roast it.
If it were my ham I would serve it cold and not heat it up.

I bought a spiral sliced ham today at Costco. It comes with a packet of glaze. So I am assuming this ham will be heated and the glaze brushed on while it heats in the oven. I have not opened the package yet.

BTW OP. Honey Baked ham is very good. So is the turkey. Very easy and no cooking required.

That's all I've ever done with those... cover with foil and reheat in the oven. I wouldn't set the heat for any higher than 300-325. You might even put a little water in the bottom of the pan to keep the meat from drying out.

I grew up on Honeybaked ham. The very first store was just about a mile from my house when I was growing up.

I love Honeybaked ham, but they don't take well to heating. In the past I have ruined them more than once by trying to serve them hot. The most you can safely do is just warm. The foil is definitely necessary.

The 'glaze' is almost like a spiced brown sugar crust. It's very thick at times, and crunchy and granular. Too much of it can get cloying, so I end up leaving a lot of it on my plate. You're safer NOT taking the foil off - the glaze doesn't need to be any grittier.

HB ham is not as salty as most hams, and because of the marinade/baste/injection it's quite a bit sweeter. You probably don't want to overload the rest of your menu with overly sweet dishes.

I agree with Silversage, serve your Honey Baked Ham at room temperature, really. I've ruined just one expensive hunk of pork by putting the entire Ham into the oven to heat up, even following the instructions given by the company.
DON'T DO IT!
I'm serving Honey Baked as well for Christmas Eve supper with a couple of sides, which I have done for the past 8 years now.
The 'juices' that collect in that heavy gold tinfoil are wonderful, give the meat a bit of a baste as it comes up to temp. Also, keep it covered so that it doesn't dry out.
It's spiral cut, it's simple to get the slices off the bone (safe that for soup), arrange on a platter, cover with some plastic wrap and give it plenty of time to 'warm up' on the kitchen counter or buffet table.
I call this stress free entertaining.

I've always wondered why people served them at room temp, I prefer my ham to be warmed, now I guess that's the way that they are supposed to be served. Good gracious they are expensive!

Thank goodness I asked you great folks!!! THANKS A MILLION GUYS!

What do you think of slicing enough for 5 people, wrapping in foil (maybe with the juices?) and warming in the oven before setting it out on a platter?

It should work just fine. I LOVE Honeybaked ham. I served it gently warmed up, no harm no foul. Make sure to save the bone for soup!

Last edited:
RB,
I love Costco hams but the spice pack turns me off. I just use pineapple juice and brown sugar

Yes, I was not so sure about the glaze. Mine came with a glaze not a spice pack.
They also had another type ham that was flat looking, boneless, not spiral cut and it read something about easy carving and beautiful presentation. It was only 20 cents more a pound. I almost bought this one instead. They were side by side.
Anyone try the flat type, carve at the table type ham at Costco?
BTW, this ham also had a glaze pack attached to it.

I'm glad it was a gift for you Jenny.

I once was gifted one and wanted a hot ham too. I made the mistake like so many of ruining it in the oven. My opinion is people who buy them don't have the skill to cook. ;)

I am also cooking a spiral cut ham... does anyone have a good solution for serving? They used to come with a wire stand I think but mine doesn't have one. it will be going on a self serve buffet table and it would be nice to have it sitting upright....

I'm glad it was a gift for you Jenny.

I once was gifted one and wanted a hot ham too. I made the mistake like so many of ruining it in the oven. My opinion is people who buy them don't have the skill to cook. ;)

:ermm: :glare: Not necessarily so.... I like Honeybaked Ham, I occasionally buy one, and I can certainly cook.

There are so many things you can do with a Honeybaked ham, IMHO. I really like the taste.

My sincere apology for that blanket statement.

I should have said, many people who buy them don't have the skill to cook. :unhappy:

It's OK, Kayelle. I can cook marginally, but I DO like Honeybaked hams! :LOL:

Trying to think, are they based out of TN? Will have to use my friend, the Google thing.

I used to buy them as gifts for family members. Thought it was brilliant, and so easy. Then my dear now departed dad said, "Hams? You can buy hams anywhere." Sorta crushed me...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom