"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork
Old 11-18-2004, 02:51 PM   #1
Master Chef
Hot Sesame Pork on Mixed Greens

I just found this recipe in one of my cookbooks and wanted to share it with you all.

Hot Sesame Pork on Mixed Greens

1/2 (16 ounces) package wonton wrappers
2 pounds boneless pork loin, trimmed
3/4 cup sesame seeds, divided
1 cup vegetable oil, divided
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/4 cup dark sesame oil, divided
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
10 to 12 small green onions, sliced
1 bok choy, shredded
Mixed Greens

*Cut wonton wrappers into 1/2 inch strips; cut pork into 3 x 1 inch strips. Set aside.

*Toast 1/2 cup sesame seeds in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, 2 to 3 minutes; remove from skillet.

*Pour 1/2 cup vegetable oil into skillet; heat to 375 degrees. Fry wonton strips in batches until golden brown. Drain on paper towels; set aside. Drain skillet.

*Combine remaining 1/4 cup sesame seeds, flour, salt and pepper in a heavy duty ziplock baggy; add pork. Seal and shake to coat.

*Pour 2 tbsp. sesame oil into skillet; place skillet over medium heat. Fry half of pork strips in hot oil 6 to 8 minutes or until golden, stirring often. Remove fried pork, and keep warm. Repeat procedure with remaining 2 tbsp. sesame oil and pork strips.

*Process toasted sesame seeds, remaining 1/2 cup vegetable oil, soy sauce, and vinegar in blender 1 to 2 minutes or until smooth.

*Combine pork strips and green onions; drizzle with soy sauce mixture, tossing mixture gently.

*Combine mixed greens and bok choy; top with pork mixture and fried wonton strips. Serve salad immediately. Yield: 8 Servings

Obtained from: Southern Living 1997 Annual Recipes Cookbook

Se non supporta il calore, vattene dalla cucina!
SizzlininIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 11:28 AM   #2
Executive Chef
Send a message via Skype™ to MJ
Thanks for the recipe SizzlininIN. :D

MJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 09:54 PM   #3
Master Chef
Yummy, I have copied, pasted, and filed this recipe to make in the future. Thanks!!
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 10:10 PM   #4
Head Chef
Ah, perfect, Sizzlin!

I have everything already, except the wonton wrappers, which I will pick up tomorrow. Love when I have all the stuff to make a great new recipe!

QSis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 01:06 AM   #5
Executive Chef
Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
I would dive into that right now if I could! What a gem thanks for sharing your tasty cookbook find with us SizzlininIN (I can't get enough dishes with sesame oil in them, DH and I both really like its flavour).

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 07:37 PM   #6
Head Chef
I just had it for dinner!

Fabulous! I had a huge bowl of greens and bok choy, with the sauced pork and wontons on top.

There is no heat in the recipe as posted, so if you want some, you'd have to add some chili flakes or a little sriachi (sp?) or something, which I will do next time.

I almost filled up on the fried wontons as I was making them, they are SO good!

I used both black and white sesame seeds since I had them, and the sauce is terrific. I'd never cooked anything in sesame oil before - it WORKS as a cooking oil.

This is a keeper - thanks for posting it!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pork Sesame Salad.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	910  

QSis is offline   Reply With Quote