How big of a slow cooker do I need for pulled pork?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pp18qrt

Assistant Cook
Would like to make Pulled Pork sandwiches for Thanksgiving, with probably around 10 people, and just to be safe, lets say everyone is going to get doubles, so I would like to make about 25-30 sandwiches in total. How big of a slow cooker do I need, 4 quart? And how many pounds of pork should would I need for this?

I have a 6 quart slow cooker and it made enough pulled pork for 14 people with leftover pork. I used a 5 pound Boston butt.

I would also recommend the 6 quart. You might could get away with the 4 but you will probably have to cut the roast to get it to fit.

Are you serving any other main courses?
If yes, you could get away with a smaller roast.

I figure on 1/4 of meat per sandwich, so if each guest is having seconds then with 10 people at your table I'd cook up at least a 5pounder, more if you want leftovers for the next day ;)
MMM, I just made myself drool, a bit of Carolina-style `Q Sauce, some homemade Pickle chips and Slaw... maybe some potato or macaroni salad on the side and of course since we're talking about Thanksgiving, ya gotta have pie!!

Sounds like a 6 quart is the answer. And if you only have a small one, perhaps you have a family member that can loan you theirs for the holiday and make it in two slow cookers. Or you still have time to hit the thrift stores in your area and pick up a second or larger one. Sounds like a very different and fun meal.

My family does not like turkey. So I always served roasted chicken. My kids thought we were so rich that we had two small turkeys. I wasn't going to tell them any different.

Enjoy your happy meal! :angel:

Back
Top Bottom