How do you cook your bacon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SizzlininIN

Master Chef
I used to fry it on top of the stove but then one day years ago I saw a cook on t.v. cook hers in the oven. If you haven't tried this I highly recommend.......very little shrinkage. I cook min at 350 degrees for about 8 minutes then turn and cook about another 5 minutes.

I do it both on the stove top and also in the oven. I like doing it in the oven if I am making a lot at once. I like doing it on the stove top if I feel like giving my cast iron an extra dose of fat :)

We recently started using a microwave tray with ridges - love the lack of grease. But, the tray gets really hot to the touch, you can only cook 4 slices at a time, and the tray is a real bear to clean. In fact, it doesn't get completely clean (won't be showing that one to company!).

Do you use a rack in the oven, like over a tray lined with foil? If not, doesn't it cook in the grease? I want to try the oven, sounds much quicker overall, plus you can just walk away from it while it cooks.

I usually fry my in a pan on the stove. My husband likes to broil his, though it does shrink, but much less fat. Can't find good bacon around here, it's loaded with fat and little meat.

We have done it in the microwave. Place between several paper towels to catch the grease.

I've done the oven thing as well, to avoid all the bacon smell throughout my apartment all day. I've also put it on my gas grill to cook, again to avoid the smell. Turned out pretty good, too bad I burnt it though by forgetting about it.:LOL:

TexasBlueHeron,

I cook my bacon on one of those microwave dishes with the ridges for cooking bacon. I found that if I lay a couple of paper towels on the bottom and then place bacon on towels and one paper towel over bacon I have very easy clean up. This sounds like the way Raine does it. I hated cooking bacon on that dish because it was so hard to clean. The paper towels under the bacon have been the answer to this problem. i like cooking it in the microwave so my house doesn't smell like bacon all day.

Like GB I too use a rack over my cookie sheet. I also line the cookie sheet with aluminum foil for easier clean up.

I prefer bacon cooked in the microwave on one of those ridged trays. I take it out and blot it with paper towels, top and bottom, and keep the grease poured off. It tastes less greasy than fried, and looks nicer, too.
But my husband usually cooks it, and he does it in a big skillet on the stove. I'm not gonna complain when I have a husband who fixes brunch every Sunday morning.
My aunt always did it in the oven when she was feeding several people (she raised 4 kids), and I like it that way too.
What I'd like to have is a bacon press. Have any of you tried one of those?

I like to use bacon grease to season with, so I like to keep it on hand, for fresh green beans, soup beans, etc. I know it is bad for us. I have cooked it all ways. The oven yields the least amount of fryings, baked on foil. In the micro, it is hard to tell, as a lot of it end up in the paper towel, but it seems least greasy of all. Stove top yields the most fryings.

For those of you who dislike shrinkage and want some real, cured bacon(and don't mind spending a bit of extra money) I suggest you check out this link:

http://www.smokehouse.com

This is a smokehouse in Missouri that I've been dealing with for about 5 years, buying their bacon for camping trips in the mountains :)

I've found their product excellent, thick with little to no shrinkage. Once you eat this stuff, you'll never look at store-bought bacon the same way again.
They hav a few different varieties of bacon..namely country-style and "city" style. Country style is dry rubbed and cured the old-fashioned way and may have a saltinees factor that some people may not like. City style is a sweeter, milder cure and a bit more comparable to the mild, wet-brine bacons bought in the supermarkets. I've had both and my camping mates enjoy the city bacon, I usually pick up 5-6lbs. for our fall camping trip.

Chris

Chris, a friend sent us bacon from there last year for Christmas, and it was so good!
There is a little German butcher shop in Southern Illinois called Biermann's, that cures some mighty fine bacon also.

Back
Top Bottom