"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 05-14-2015, 12:40 AM   #91
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
They use that method up north too!

The water/steam helps to render some of the fat from the chops so they can begin to fry, the second or even third shot of water helps to deglaze the pan so the chops pickup a nice "syrupy" shine from the rendered fat and fond. If you get it right the chops are fantastic and if you get it wrong they come out like shoe leather!
Sorry to revisit this thread, especially since there were so many ways to fry a pork chop in this thread. I'd like to learn to pan fry a thin cut bone in pork loin chop. I thought oil would be the way, but the water way sounds good since the fat on the chop is rendered into it's own "oil" to let it "fry" up moist and tender. These thin chops seem too thin to brine beforehand.

The thing is, what to season/sprinkle the chop with? Parmesan cheese seems iffy to me. I don't think a breaded coating would exactly work out either, for simple pan frying.

I'd like to perfect pan fried pork, in case I'm ever out of Shake 'n Bake mix.

Old 05-14-2015, 01:10 AM   #92
Sous Chef

There's a ton of good advice here!

My Mom told a lady who asked her about cooking pork chops: "Well, give them a good rub of whatever spices and herbs you like, then throw them on the grill until they stop oinking."

Old 05-14-2015, 01:56 AM   #93
Head Chef

I suppose so. What outta the spice cabinet ? A little salt, a little pepper...
Old 05-14-2015, 02:01 AM   #94
Master Chef

Those, plus a little paprika? Maybe sage? Those both go well with pork. Rosemary, too, but only if you like it. Thyme? So many choices, so few chops.
Old 05-14-2015, 02:26 AM   #95
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
Sorry to revisit this thread, especially since there were so many ways to fry a pork chop in this thread. I'd like to learn to pan fry a thin cut bone in pork loin chop. I thought oil would be the way, but the water way sounds good since the fat on the chop is rendered into it's own "oil" to let it "fry" up moist and tender. These thin chops seem too thin to brine beforehand.

The thing is, what to season/sprinkle the chop with? Parmesan cheese seems iffy to me. I don't think a breaded coating would exactly work out either, for simple pan frying.

I'd like to perfect pan fried pork, in case I'm ever out of Shake 'n Bake mix.
Montreal Steak seasoning is great on pork.

I made pork chops a couple of nights ago. Seasoned with Montreal Steak, browned and set aside. Then I sautéed some diced onion, deglazed the pan with chicken stock, added 2 more cups of stock, 3/4 cup of brown rice, one can of sliced mushrooms, returned the pork chops to the pan, covered, brought to a boil then simmered for an hour until the rice was done. Tender and flavorful chops, very tasty rice.
Old 05-14-2015, 03:54 AM   #96
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
Montreal Steak seasoning is great on pork.
Thanks. The thing is, that stuff packs a punch. Besides salt and pepper what is a modest way to flavor a bone in pork loin chop? Not much else I suppose.

I should try the add some water, add a little more during frying method. That sounds like a good way to pan fry a bone in pork loin chop, rather than oil, which was my first thought how to go. I just need to add maybe more than salt and pepper.
Old 05-14-2015, 05:35 AM   #97
Master Chef

I use salt, pepper, onion powder and Bell's poultry seasoning.

Old 05-14-2015, 07:27 AM   #98
Master Chef

A little salt, a little pepper, and cook them for about a minute on each side over medium-high heat. Add two tbs. Sherry wine, cover and let fry for another three minutes per side. Serve with noodles and butter, or maybe some pre-made bread dressing with sage and onions.

Another thing you could do is brown the chops on both sides, put them into a shallow roasting pan, slather them with your favorite sauce, and bake them for another ten minutes at 350' F.

So many great methods, including simply seasoning with S&P, and pan frying until they are cooked.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 08:26 AM   #99
Head Chef

Thanks all. I've not pan fried a pork chop before. I'm so used to Shake 'N Bake, which isn't bad.
Old 05-14-2015, 08:29 AM   #100
Senior Cook

Think what a pig's heaven would look like. Rooting around in any orchard right?
What grows in orchards? Fruit. Think what types of fruit based ingredients you could use.
That's why port and sherry go with pork so well.
One of my favorites is orange marmalade brushed on the chops as they are simmering at 200 F in some clarified butter until barely cooked. Then rested for a couple of minutes while I plate the celeriac puree and steamed whole baby carrots.
You can cut the chops with a fork b/c they were very slow cooked and only briefly.

Tags
cook, pork