"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 05-14-2015, 11:45 PM   #121
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
You said you're using thin chops. I think by the time any fat renders, they will be done and if you try to brown them afterward, they'll be overcooked and dry. Just heat a couple teaspoons of oil till just smoking and brown your chops on both sides. It won't take long.

Also, personally, I don't think paprika has a lot of flavor. I like to use thyme or sage. I also love Penzey's Greek seasoning - lemon, oregano and garlic - or Mural of Flavor seasoning on pork.
I agree. For thin chops, hot and quick is the way to go. They are done in next to no time.

I agree about the paprika. I thought it was because I had the grocery store paprika, so I bought some Hungarian paprika and it was pretty ho hum too. Now, the same brand of hot Hungarian paprika, that stuff has flavour.

Old 05-15-2015, 08:05 AM   #122
Master Chef

Just another yummy pork preparation:

Finely dice the raw pork and stir-fry it until done, with a little chili powder, some cumin, and your favorite hot sauce. Dice up some onion, and tomato, add shredded cheese and lettuce to make pork tacos.

Change up the herbs and spices to black pepper, sage, and a splash of Italian dressing, and stuff into pita pockets with shredded lettuce, cucumber, and avocado. You might also thinly slice the pork rather than dice it for this preparation.

Those thin sliced pork chops can be quickly cooked like a minute steak over hot charcoal, with simple seasoning of S&P and be fabulous.

Lastly slice into thin strips and use to catch yummy fish (just kidding, that's what earth worms are for.).

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 02:32 PM   #123
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I use salt, pepper, onion powder and Bell's poultry seasoning.

+1!! I always use poultry seasoning on pork.

I love chops cooked this way >> Ms. Mofet's Pork Chops and Sauerkraut
Old 05-15-2015, 11:53 PM   #124
Head Chef

Without wanting to turn this into a paprika discussion, I mostly have used paprika for sprinkling it on half a ripe avocado with a little salt, yum. Also for baked sliced potatoes, to add some color. I'll look into getting some paprika that has more flavor than the common variety (for my attempts at pan frying pork loin chops).
Old 05-16-2015, 10:36 AM   #125
Cook

I sear over a very hot charcoal fire (natural hardwood charcoal started in a chimney starter) then finish in a 375 degree oven. A little salt and pepper is the only seasoning I use. Never fails to produce a juicy, delicious chop. The pork tastes of itself and isn't overburdened with sauces and seasonings.
Old 05-20-2015, 05:32 PM   #126
Senior Cook

I have some boneless pork sirloin chops in the freezer - plan on cooking them next week.

Do you guys think that cooking them in some apple ale will work well? Randy thinks that simply using some apple juice and cheap beer would be a better choice, but we have some Redd's, so I was curious.

Thanks in advance.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs
should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A. Heinlein
Maelinde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 05:39 PM   #127
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

How do you cook your pork chops?

Have never had apple ale, but apple anything goes well with pork chops. I'd give it a shot, Maelinde, and let us know how it turns out!

Definitely brown the chops first.
Old 05-20-2015, 07:06 PM   #128
Chef Extraordinaire

Is the cheap beer something you would enjoy on its own? If not, I wouldn't cook with it. Just like with wine, you want a flavor you like to be imparted into the food. If you don't want to drink it, you won't want to eat it, either

And Dawg is right about browning the meat first. Then add the ale and scrape up the browned bits on the bottom of the pan and simmer for a bit. When the chops are done, remove to a plate and cover with foil to rest. I'd then add some mustard and chicken broth to the pan and simmer to reduce, then pour this sauce over the chops to serve.
Old 05-20-2015, 07:42 PM   #129
Master Chef

I would split the beer with the dishwasher and use apple or currant jelly, a knob of butter, some whole grain mustard and a splash of stock, water or wine to deglaze the pan, sort of a Cumberland sauce.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:14 PM   #130
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I would split the beer with the dishwasher and use apple or currant jelly, a knob of butter, some whole grain mustard and a splash of stock, water or wine to deglaze the pan, sort of a Cumberland sauce.
What does that mean?

Tags
cook, pork