How do you cook your pork chops?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have heard of rinsing ground beef after browning/frying, but never boiled. Sounds horrific and silly! :ermm:

You mean people boil brats sometimes before grilling or frying them.
And I would not cook a pork chop in any liquid. I like to do them as I do a steak. Fast and hot. Medium.
Over cooking pork chops is not something I would do.

They are fresh or prepared sausages usually served with kraut or on a bun with good mustard. Very, very good.

I also subscribe to your thinking Craig.
I have told my doctor on more than one occasion "shoot me now then" when he recommends changing my diet.
He has quit telling me how to eat. We actually discuss recipes now and again. You see he eats what he wanted me to stop eating.
He also told me to stop drinking beer. I do not plan, nor have I stopped drinking beer.
There is a line in the sand. He knows where it is.

Sounds reasonable. When I think of brats in beer, I think of the brat "hot tub" featured in the commercial.
I for one expect a bite when i bite into a brat. Just like Italian sausage.
I would never boil Italian sausage in anything. If I did, it would be like you described.

I think those are called knockwurst Addie?

Yup, that's them. I had a senior moment. Thanks! :angel:

I thought Reubens were made with corned beef or pastrami. What kind of sausage are you using for them?

I have corned beef. And I also have the rye bread along with the sauerkraut and Swiss Cheese. The corned beef even has a streak of fat running through the middle. :angel:

Thanks Chief. I have some sausages in the freezer. And a large container of sauerkraut in the fridge. The two are just waiting for a marriage to take place. :angel:

You've never had bratwurst? What kind of sausage are you planning to have with your sauerkraut?

Reuben Sandwiches on Rye bread. YUM! And no I have never had Brats. :angel:

I thought Reubens were made with corned beef or pastrami. What kind of sausage are you using for them?

I have corned beef. And I also have the rye bread along with the sauerkraut and Swiss Cheese. The corned beef even has a streak of fat running through the middle. :angel:

I knew it wasn't me that was :wacko: :ermm:

Last edited:
Bring to room temp. cover with McCormick dry pork rub, pan fry in cast iron skillet with butter and olive oil, cook to just past pink.

Does anyone here brine their pork? I ask that because I took some chops and cut them into strips to use for sweet 'n sour pork. The recipe called for marinating them awhile in some corn starch, soy sauce and water. That coated them nicely with a "batter" of sorts. I went about frying the strips to "brown" them (as the recipe calls for). However, when all was added together, the pork strips were a bit tough to chew. I might have overcooked them trying to get them lightly browned. I was wondering if maybe brining them for a few hours would make them fry up more tender. Or maybe I shouldn't fry the pork strips at too high a frying temp when getting them lightly browned? Powder them with meat tenderizer maybe?

Last edited:
I have some bone in center cut pork chops that I want to prepare for tonight's dinner. How do you cook chops so that they are fully cooked, yet not dry. Any tips will be appreciated.

I cook my chops in canola oil after brining in salt for a couple of hours, or I get my baby roaster and pour some rice in the bottom, throw in the chops with some slivered onion and green pepper and pour beef brother over the whole works to cover everything. Peek in the oven and when the rice looks like it is starting to absorb all the liquid, put it under the broiler for a couple of minutes and then pull it out and let it rest for about 15 min before serving. It is real good with yellow rice.

:ohmy:

Mmmmm..... roast babies. I love them medium rare myself. :yum:

That's the first thing that's made me laugh all day.:LOL:

In a class that someone I know used to attend, they had a kiln/forge that they called the baby oven. I was never sure whether the reference was pointed at the size of the oven, or what it was used for.:ROFLMAO:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

They use that method up north too!

The water/steam helps to render some of the fat from the chops so they can begin to fry, the second or even third shot of water helps to deglaze the pan so the chops pickup a nice "syrupy" shine from the rendered fat and fond. If you get it right the chops are fantastic and if you get it wrong they come out like shoe leather! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Sorry to revisit this thread, especially since there were so many ways to fry a pork chop in this thread. I'd like to learn to pan fry a thin cut bone in pork loin chop. I thought oil would be the way, but the water way sounds good since the fat on the chop is rendered into it's own "oil" to let it "fry" up moist and tender. These thin chops seem too thin to brine beforehand.

The thing is, what to season/sprinkle the chop with? Parmesan cheese seems iffy to me. I don't think a breaded coating would exactly work out either, for simple pan frying.

I'd like to perfect pan fried pork, in case I'm ever out of Shake 'n Bake mix. :)

Last edited:
There's a ton of good advice here!

My Mom told a lady who asked her about cooking pork chops: "Well, give them a good rub of whatever spices and herbs you like, then throw them on the grill until they stop oinking."

Sorry to revisit this thread, especially since there were so many ways to fry a pork chop in this thread. I'd like to learn to pan fry a thin cut bone in pork loin chop. I thought oil would be the way, but the water way sounds good since the fat on the chop is rendered into it's own "oil" to let it "fry" up moist and tender. These thin chops seem too thin to brine beforehand.

The thing is, what to season/sprinkle the chop with? Parmesan cheese seems iffy to me. I don't think a breaded coating would exactly work out either, for simple pan frying.

I'd like to perfect pan fried pork, in case I'm ever out of Shake 'n Bake mix. :)

Montreal Steak seasoning is great on pork.

I made pork chops a couple of nights ago. Seasoned with Montreal Steak, browned and set aside. Then I sautéed some diced onion, deglazed the pan with chicken stock, added 2 more cups of stock, 3/4 cup of brown rice, one can of sliced mushrooms, returned the pork chops to the pan, covered, brought to a boil then simmered for an hour until the rice was done. Tender and flavorful chops, very tasty rice.

Montreal Steak seasoning is great on pork.

Thanks. The thing is, that stuff packs a punch. Besides salt and pepper what is a modest way to flavor a bone in pork loin chop? Not much else I suppose.

I should try the add some water, add a little more during frying method. That sounds like a good way to pan fry a bone in pork loin chop, rather than oil, which was my first thought how to go. I just need to add maybe more than salt and pepper.

Last edited:
I use salt, pepper, onion powder and Bell's poultry seasoning.

%21B3y29Tg%212k%7E$%28KGrHqJ,%21iQEyd1dT,OIBMnjp2Bk4%21%7E%7E_35.JPG

A little salt, a little pepper, and cook them for about a minute on each side over medium-high heat. Add two tbs. Sherry wine, cover and let fry for another three minutes per side. Serve with noodles and butter, or maybe some pre-made bread dressing with sage and onions.

Another thing you could do is brown the chops on both sides, put them into a shallow roasting pan, slather them with your favorite sauce, and bake them for another ten minutes at 350' F.

So many great methods, including simply seasoning with S&P, and pan frying until they are cooked.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Think what a pig's heaven would look like. Rooting around in any orchard right?
What grows in orchards? Fruit. Think what types of fruit based ingredients you could use.
That's why port and sherry go with pork so well.
One of my favorites is orange marmalade brushed on the chops as they are simmering at 200 F in some clarified butter until barely cooked. Then rested for a couple of minutes while I plate the celeriac puree and steamed whole baby carrots.
You can cut the chops with a fork b/c they were very slow cooked and only briefly.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom