How do you cook your pork chops?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I pan fry them while lightly dusted with flour, but on the second side, as they approach being done, I sprinkle with a tablespoon of Parmesan cheese.

So...salt and pepper and what else? Put a bit of water in the pan and bring it to boil and let it chop cook shortly to get the fat on the chop frying itself, then add in a bit more water if needed to cook it thru. Salt and pepper and a bit of paprika?

Last edited:
So...salt and pepper and what else? Put a bit of water in the pan and bring it to boil and let it chop cook shortly to get the fat on the chop frying itself, then add in a bit more water if needed to cook it thru. Salt and pepper and a bit of paprika?

You said you're using thin chops. I think by the time any fat renders, they will be done and if you try to brown them afterward, they'll be overcooked and dry. Just heat a couple teaspoons of oil till just smoking and brown your chops on both sides. It won't take long.

Also, personally, I don't think paprika has a lot of flavor. I like to use thyme or sage. I also love Penzey's Greek seasoning - lemon, oregano and garlic - or Mural of Flavor seasoning on pork.

You said you're using thin chops. I think by the time any fat renders, they will be done and if you try to brown them afterward, they'll be overcooked and dry. Just heat a couple teaspoons of oil till just smoking and brown your chops on both sides. It won't take long.

Also, personally, I don't think paprika has a lot of flavor. I like to use thyme or sage. I also love Penzey's Greek seasoning - lemon, oregano and garlic - or Mural of Flavor seasoning on pork.

You got it. Thin chops, a bit of oil, salt and pepper. Sounds good. I used to get the regular thick pork chops, but the center portion was ok, but a bit dry. So, the suggestion of frying those thick pork chops with water makes sense.

Last edited:
So, as you know I do not eat pork, but I grew up on it. MY friend, an Ukrainian lady, I know, complain to me the other day, mostly asking for advise how to cook it, about pork being much more lean here in the states, especially lately. Is it true that pork is lean? Is it true that it is leaner now than it used to be? I used to joke how one cannot screwed up cooking pork being that it is such an easy meat to cook.

...about pork being much more lean here in the states, especially lately. Is it true that pork is lean? Is it true that it is leaner now than it used to be? I used to joke how one cannot screwed up cooking pork being that it is such an easy meat to cook.

Over the years, pork producers have bred the fat out of pork so it would appeal to Americans who have been programmed to have a fear of fat. That has made it harder to cook moist pork as there is no fat to keep the meat moist and tender.

That depends on what paprika he's using. If it's just McCormick's from the grocery store, then you would be right. But there are many types and blends of paprika. Spanish, smoked Spanish, Hungarian (and there are several grades or heat levels with Hungarian paprika), Piment d’ Espelette from southwestern France.

California paprika doesn't have a lot of flavor, but is used a lot commercially to add color to foods. Most plain grocery store paprika is also more for color than flavor. In that respect it's good in barbecue rubs. It has a much milder flavor than chili powder, even though both are made from ground peppers, because chili powder has other ingredients as well (oregano, cumin, garlic and chili peppers along with the paprika).

Over the years, pork producers have bred the fat out of pork so it would appeal to Americans who have been programmed to have a fear of fat. That has made it harder to cook moist pork as there is no fat to keep the meat moist and tender.

For that reason, lardoons are your friend. But you have to know how to use them, or at the very least, be introduced to them.

My DW is one of those that is somewhat fearful of fat, or at least she cuts every bit away that she can.

Seeeeeeya; Chief longwind of the North

Andy M. said:

Thank you.

For that reason, lardoons are your friend. But you have to know how to use them, or at the very least, be introduced to them.

My DW is one of those that is somewhat fearful of fat, or at least she cuts every bit away that she can.

Seeeeeeya; Chief longwind of the North

What are "lardoons " ?

It's lardons I think. French for chunks of cut-up bacon.

Both spellings are correct, and are interchangeable. And you and RP are correct as well. Lardons, or lardoons are strips of subcutaneous pork fat, or belly bacon fat used in larding roasts of meat, such as turkey breasts, pork roasts, or beef roasts. They are used to add a marbling effect to the meat to make it more tender and succulent. Larding needles are usually used to insert the fat strips, but I just make a narrow slit with a paring knife and push the fat in with tooth picks, or the pointy handle of some of my metal forks.

If the fat is simply fried until crisp, then lightly salted, it becomes cracklings. most of the fat is rendered out and they are delicious. you can also use chicken, turkey, or fish skin to make cracklings as well. just pan or deep fry them until crispy and light.

Lardons add huge flavor when grilling lean cuts over fire, as the fat melts out, drips onto the fire, and flavors the meat with smoke particulates. Too much fat-smoke though becomes bitter and nasty, so use common sense. Think the amount of fat on a good steak; that's how much larding should be used in lean meat.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
You are correct, Chief. I'd never seen it spelled "lardoons" and figured it was a typo, but the google said otherwise. Learn something new every day!

Not even bacon, just pure pork fat. I know that some Italian places serve it as a happy hour snack. My wife thought it was a white cheese until she ate some.

Lardons usually have some meat to them, like bacon.

Lardo is what your wife ate. That's the stuff that looks like thinly sliced cheese.

That depends on what paprika he's using. If it's just McCormick's from the grocery store, then you would be right. But there are many types and blends of paprika. Spanish, smoked Spanish, Hungarian (and there are several grades or heat levels with Hungarian paprika), Piment d’ Espelette from southwestern France.

California paprika doesn't have a lot of flavor, but is used a lot commercially to add color to foods. Most plain grocery store paprika is also more for color than flavor. In that respect it's good in barbecue rubs. It has a much milder flavor than chili powder, even though both are made from ground peppers, because chili powder has other ingredients as well (oregano, cumin, garlic and chili peppers along with the paprika).

Since a certain type of paprika was not specified, I was referring to regular paprika from the grocery store. By itself, it's not one of my favorite flavors; I do like it in rubs with other seasonings.

I suppose so. What outta the spice cabinet ? A little salt, a little pepper...

If you have access to a Penzey's, try the BBQ 3000. I use it on pulled pork, pork tenderloin, and pork chops all the time. It makes pork taste better than amazing.

If you're not close to a Penzey's, you can go to www.penzeys.com and order it. I get it by the bag because we use it so much. :chef:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom