"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 12-12-2014, 11:10 PM   #71
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
You've never had bratwurst? What kind of sausage are you planning to have with your sauerkraut?

You can only cook them with beer.
Reuben Sandwiches on Rye bread. YUM! And no I have never had Brats.

Old 12-12-2014, 11:35 PM   #72
Wine Guy

Wisconsin boy here.

Cooking brats gently in beer and onions is only the first step. Then you have to let them sit in the fridge overnight in the beer (or at least for a few hours). The final step is the most important. You put them on the grill just to crisp up the skin a little. A perfectly cooked brat should have a nice "snap" when you bite into it.

There's nothing better than a brat with spicy brown mustard (Gulden's was always my favorite) and lots of kraut. You'll also need a beer to wash everything down, and if there happens to be a Packers game on the tube... well, you'll think you died and went to heaven!

Old 12-13-2014, 12:15 AM   #73
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

How do you cook your pork chops?

Addie, they're a type of thick, fatty spiced sausage. Hormel or Johnsonville make some good ones. They're already fully cooked, it's just traditional to boil them in beer.
Old 12-13-2014, 12:21 AM   #74
Wine Guy

How do you cook your pork chops?

DL, some are not precooked. We've always bought fresh uncooked brats from the butcher but, short of that, Johnsonville also makes uncooked brats - usually found in the frozen foods section.

The turn of this conversation has made me very hungry for brats...
Old 12-13-2014, 12:38 AM   #75
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

You are correct, Steve! MN and WI do have most excellent bratwursts. IA does a pretty good job as well.
Old 12-13-2014, 04:00 AM   #76
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Apple cider or apple juice. When I don't have beer, don't want to get a can, and want to cook pork "German style" I'll use apple cider or apple juice instead of beer.
I have plenty of apple cider. Will have to try them next month when I go shopping. I will also eat them with my sauerkraut. And Steve, Sorry but I will have to root for the Patriots. But I will use Gulden's as it is the only kind I buy.
Old 12-13-2014, 07:42 AM   #77
Senior Cook

Brats and beer are awsome. I boil in beer then finish off on the grill for a couple minutes.
Old 12-13-2014, 11:12 AM   #78
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Jon View Post
Brats and beer are awsome. I boil in beer then finish off on the grill for a couple minutes.
So I have heard. But I don't drink. So no beer in my house. It will have to be apple cider.

I do buy on occasion brackwurst. Those are those really fat hot dogs. But they are better than regular dogs. One of them makes a whole meal for me. I do like sauerkraut with them though. I like kraut with anything.
Old 12-13-2014, 12:10 PM   #79
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
People will always cook in goofy ways..it's fine with me as long they don't expect me to eat it.
I know somebody who boils her hamburger.
I have heard of rinsing ground beef after browning/frying, but never boiled. Sounds horrific and silly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Brats are meant to be cooked in beer at some point, then grilled. At least, that's how it was done in Wisconsin when I spent a few years there. Pork chops might also be good cooked in beer.
You mean people boil brats sometimes before grilling or frying them.
And I would not cook a pork chop in any liquid. I like to do them as I do a steak. Fast and hot. Medium.
Over cooking pork chops is not something I would do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I have never had Brats. Exactly what are they? And since I don't have or drink beer, how else would you cook them?
They are fresh or prepared sausages usually served with kraut or on a bun with good mustard. Very, very good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Forget the water! I sometimes start my Italian sausages off in wine. When it evaporates, they brown off nicely in the remaining fat.
For the health nuts: I'd rather be fat and happy than flat and snappy!
I also subscribe to your thinking Craig.
I have told my doctor on more than one occasion "shoot me now then" when he recommends changing my diet.
He has quit telling me how to eat. We actually discuss recipes now and again. You see he eats what he wanted me to stop eating.
He also told me to stop drinking beer. I do not plan, nor have I stopped drinking beer.
There is a line in the sand. He knows where it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Wisconsin boy here. Cooking brats gently in beer and onions is only the first step. Then you have to let them sit in the fridge overnight in the beer (or at least for a few hours). The final step is the most important. You put them on the grill just to crisp up the skin a little. A perfectly cooked brat should have a nice "snap" when you bite into it.

There's nothing better than a brat with spicy brown mustard (Gulden's was always my favorite) and lots of kraut. You'll also need a beer to wash everything down, and if there happens to be a Packers game on the tube... well, you'll think you died and went to heaven!
Sounds reasonable. When I think of brats in beer, I think of the brat "hot tub" featured in the commercial.
I for one expect a bite when i bite into a brat. Just like Italian sausage.
I would never boil Italian sausage in anything. If I did, it would be like you described.

Quote:
So I have heard. But I don't drink. So no beer in my house. It will have to be apple cider.

I do buy on occasion brackwurst. Those are those really fat hot dogs. But they are better than regular dogs. One of them makes a whole meal for me. I do like sauerkraut with them though. I like kraut with anything.
I think those are called knockwurst Addie?
Old 12-13-2014, 12:45 PM   #80
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Reuben Sandwiches on Rye bread. YUM! And no I have never had Brats.
I thought Reubens were made with corned beef or pastrami. What kind of sausage are you using for them?

Tags
cook, pork