How do you cook your pork chops?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Exactly right GG. Even if it was your mom in your kitchen. ;) There's no kitchen in the world big enough for two grown women.

Love that quote, Kay, use it often. I'll never forget the Thanksgivings as a young wife when both my mom and my MIL hovered over me in the kitchen. Creeped me out big time. Yes, I cooked the giblets as instructed, then when nobody was watching, I carefully threw them in the garbage.

Brats are meant to be cooked in beer at some point, then grilled. At least, that's how it was done in Wisconsin when I spent a few years there. Pork chops might also be good cooked in beer.

Last edited:
Yup, I'm a Michgander through and through, and a Yooper to boot. I've never boiled a prok chop in my life, not has, to my knowledge, any member of my family. I have fried, added a touch of Sherry wine, and covered, and cooked chops until barely pink in the middle. I've also braised pork chops under sour kraut.

There are so very many techniques to cook everything, and that are enjoyed by those that use them, that I won't call many of them wrong. The only couple I can think of is to make a natural sourdough poolish and use that to make pancakes, and to use baking soda as a meat tenderizor, leaving the baking soda on the steaks as they cook. Those were two terible taste sensations that I had the misfortune of eating at other people's homes.

Seeeeeeyal; Chief Longwind of the North

Thanks Chief. I have some sausages in the freezer. And a large container of sauerkraut in the fridge. The two are just waiting for a marriage to take place. :angel:

Love that quote, Kay, use it often. I'll never forget the Thanksgivings as a young wife when both my mom and my MIL hovered over me in the kitchen. Creeped me out big time. Yes, I cooked the giblets as instructed, then when nobody was watching, I carefully threw them in the garbage.

Brats are meant to be cooked in beer at some point, then grilled. At least, that's how it was done in Wisconsin when I spent a few years there. Pork chops might also be good cooked in beer.

Now that's funny!! :LOL: At least you got them out of the paper pouch hidden in the neck.
Yes, Brats are meant to be cooked in beer at MY house too. ;)

Now that's funny!! :LOL: At least you got them out of the paper pouch hidden in the neck.
Yes, Brats are meant to be cooked in beer at MY house too. ;)

I have never had Brats. Exactly what are they? And since I don't have or drink beer, how else would you cook them? :angel:

Forget the water! I sometimes start my Italian sausages off in wine. When it evaporates, they brown off nicely in the remaining fat.:yum:

For the health nuts: I'd rather be fat and happy than flat and snappy!:ohmy:

Most things improve in flavor if cooked in beer. The cook improves when "marinated" in beer too. ;)

I have never had Brats. Exactly what are they? And since I don't have or drink beer, how else would you cook them? :angel:
Apple cider or apple juice. When I don't have beer, don't want to get a can, and want to cook pork "German style" I'll use apple cider or apple juice instead of beer.

Wisconsin boy here. :chef:

Cooking brats gently in beer and onions is only the first step. Then you have to let them sit in the fridge overnight in the beer (or at least for a few hours). The final step is the most important. You put them on the grill just to crisp up the skin a little. A perfectly cooked brat should have a nice "snap" when you bite into it.

There's nothing better than a brat with spicy brown mustard (Gulden's was always my favorite) and lots of kraut. You'll also need a beer to wash everything down, and if there happens to be a Packers game on the tube... well, you'll think you died and went to heaven!

Last edited:
Addie, they're a type of thick, fatty spiced sausage. Hormel or Johnsonville make some good ones. They're already fully cooked, it's just traditional to boil them in beer.

Last edited:
DL, some are not precooked. We've always bought fresh uncooked brats from the butcher but, short of that, Johnsonville also makes uncooked brats - usually found in the frozen foods section.

The turn of this conversation has made me very hungry for brats...

Last edited by a moderator:
You are correct, Steve! MN and WI do have most excellent bratwursts. IA does a pretty good job as well.

Apple cider or apple juice. When I don't have beer, don't want to get a can, and want to cook pork "German style" I'll use apple cider or apple juice instead of beer.

I have plenty of apple cider. Will have to try them next month when I go shopping. I will also eat them with my sauerkraut. And Steve, Sorry but I will have to root for the Patriots. But I will use Gulden's as it is the only kind I buy. :angel:

Brats and beer are awsome. I boil in beer then finish off on the grill for a couple minutes.

So I have heard. But I don't drink. So no beer in my house. It will have to be apple cider.

I do buy on occasion brackwurst. Those are those really fat hot dogs. But they are better than regular dogs. One of them makes a whole meal for me. I do like sauerkraut with them though. I like kraut with anything. :angel:

People will always cook in goofy ways..it's fine with me as long they don't expect me to eat it.
I know somebody who boils her hamburger. :sick:

I have heard of rinsing ground beef after browning/frying, but never boiled. Sounds horrific and silly! :ermm:

You mean people boil brats sometimes before grilling or frying them.
And I would not cook a pork chop in any liquid. I like to do them as I do a steak. Fast and hot. Medium.
Over cooking pork chops is not something I would do.

They are fresh or prepared sausages usually served with kraut or on a bun with good mustard. Very, very good.

Forget the water! I sometimes start my Italian sausages off in wine. When it evaporates, they brown off nicely in the remaining fat.:yum:
For the health nuts: I'd rather be fat and happy than flat and snappy!:ohmy:

I also subscribe to your thinking Craig.
I have told my doctor on more than one occasion "shoot me now then" when he recommends changing my diet.
He has quit telling me how to eat. We actually discuss recipes now and again. You see he eats what he wanted me to stop eating.
He also told me to stop drinking beer. I do not plan, nor have I stopped drinking beer.
There is a line in the sand. He knows where it is.

Wisconsin boy here. :chef:Cooking brats gently in beer and onions is only the first step. Then you have to let them sit in the fridge overnight in the beer (or at least for a few hours). The final step is the most important. You put them on the grill just to crisp up the skin a little. A perfectly cooked brat should have a nice "snap" when you bite into it.

There's nothing better than a brat with spicy brown mustard (Gulden's was always my favorite) and lots of kraut. You'll also need a beer to wash everything down, and if there happens to be a Packers game on the tube... well, you'll think you died and went to heaven!

Sounds reasonable. When I think of brats in beer, I think of the brat "hot tub" featured in the commercial.
I for one expect a bite when i bite into a brat. Just like Italian sausage.
I would never boil Italian sausage in anything. If I did, it would be like you described.

So I have heard. But I don't drink. So no beer in my house. It will have to be apple cider.

I do buy on occasion brackwurst. Those are those really fat hot dogs. But they are better than regular dogs. One of them makes a whole meal for me. I do like sauerkraut with them though. I like kraut with anything. :angel:

I think those are called knockwurst Addie?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom