How do you do your pulled pork?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

letscook

Head Chef
Im just curious how everyone does their pulled pork.

I love pulled pork, especially when it just falls apart on its own.
I could just keep picking at it without putting in a roll.
I just do a rub and bake in the oven in my cast dutch oven pot.
I went to a wedding reception where they had it barbque and then in a sauce called chavette bq sauce (spelling?) that was really good,

I just bought two bone-in Boston Butts for pulled pork. I use a home-made rub on the exterior. Wrap them in plastic wrap and let them sit in the fridge 24-36 hours.

You can then smoke them in a grill or smoker or slow roast them in the oven, or a combination of the two. In either case, you can choose to mop them periodically with a mopping liquid. When the internal temperature reaches 200º F, they're done. Cool and pull. Serve with BBQ sauce.

I prefer dry heat cooking methods to slow cookers or dutch ovens as I like the crust that forms with a dry cooking method.

I do two butts at a time as that doesn't take any longer to cook and I have pulled pork for months to come. I wrap the meat in 4 ounce packages and freeze them.

We had pulled pork for dinner tonight. I used a bone in boston butt and cooked it very low in a dutch oven on top of the stove. I used a mixture of spices as a rub and we added sauce at the table. The butt was about 4 lbs and will do the two of us for several meals. The meat is so rich that neither of us can eat much at the time.

I also rub mine and smoke it. I shoot for 195F, then pull it out of the smoker, wrap it in plastic wrap and a towel and let rest in a cooler for an hour. Then I have at it with two salad forks. Sometimes I will sprinkle more rub on it after it's pulled, sometimes not. I always serve the sauce on the side, but I know some folks toss the meat with sauce.

i do both ends of the spectrum: one in the smoker, one in the crock pot.

both start with a dry rub, wrapped in plastic overnight, then they go their seperate ways.

either can be made bbq style by mixing bbq sauce into the pork as it's pulled, or carolina style by mixing the pork with a vinegar and mustard concoction.

the smoker version lends itself better to the bbq style and the crock pot carolina style, but they can be interchanged and either combo is good.

Last edited:
lol having lots of time to think while working alone ( for the most part), i realized that my spectrum was a bit short.
i do both ends of what i can do, which is a gas smoker to a crock pot.

but to extend the banwidth, pulled pork made from a fire of hardwood smoke is more extreme. or maybe the roots of barbacoa, pit bbq with leaves or seaweed.

i hope this appeases the q people. :chef:

We had the best PP from Casey's, a local gas station, yesterday. Big strings and chunks, like burnt ends. Excellent. Added a bit of Sweet Baby Ray's.

I normally do mine in the CP and add the sauce at the last moment.

Pretty straight forward on the BBQ pit....Long time...Low heat....Moderate blue smoke.....
I like em in the 195*-200* range after resting.....

Back
Top Bottom