"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 04-07-2009, 11:24 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to kellyk
How do you make a good tender juicy ham?

Hello to All. This is my first time on here so bare with me as I learn to use this site. I love to cook first off. I am wanting to bake a ham, but in the past I've had bad luck, not sure if was the ham or me. How do you bake a nice tender juicy ham? What all do y' all use to baste with or bake in? Pls help?

Old 04-15-2009, 01:33 PM   #2
Senior Cook

Kelly, I purchased a Mash's Brown Sugar Ham, and I wrapped it in heavy duty foil and baked it at 325 degrees for 18-20 minutes per pound. It turned out wonderful, but the ham was a good quality ham, too. I did not baste the hame and it was very moist.

Old 04-15-2009, 03:12 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

We usually purchase the Smithfield Hardwood Smoked Ham.
These are 1/2 hams. We try to get the butt portion but the shank portion is generally easier to find.
The directions on the back of the label produce very good results.
Pre heat oven to 325. Place the ham, cut side down, on a rack in a roasting pan. Put a half inch to one inch of water in the pan. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 18-20 minutes per pound.
I am certain that you will be pleased with the results.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:13 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

By the way, Kelly, Welcome to DC!
Old 04-15-2009, 03:35 PM   #5
Head Chef

I just follow the directions as the others have said, but sometimes I remove the foil 1/2 hour before the ham is done to allow for glazing.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:16 PM   #6
Master Chef

Ham is made from lean pork. And as with all meat, be it pork, beef, lamb, even poultry, final meat temperature decides the quality of the meat. If you cook it much above a final temperature of 165'F, it toughens and dries out. The secret to moist meat is to use a thermometer, preferably something that has an alarm to alert you when you are close to your target temperature. Time will vary depending on how the meat was butchered, aged, cured, by size, and cooking temperature. But if you gauge by meat temperature, then you can't go wrong.

Basting doesn't make for a juicier anything. It does deposit flavor particles from the basting juice to enhance the skin flavor. Injecting a flavored soution does the same thing, only inside the meat. Covering with foil traps the steam and keeps you from forming a nice outer crust.

Lardoons will help keep the meat moist by melting fat into the muscle tissue as the meat roasts, replacing some of the water with liquid fat (I know, it sound gross, but really makes for a great roast).

This is important enough to re-state. Final meat temperature determines the moisture content of the meat. After that, use some deductive reasoning. If you cook at a higher temperature, it will dry the outer skin more, creating a nice crust (not always needed, depending on the meal). Cooking at a lower temperature will increase the time required to bring the inner meat to temperature. And so, you can tailor the end result to what you want it to be y remembering the final desired temperature, using a meat thermometer to attain that temperature, and adjust the cooking procedure to get the results you desire.

Good luck, and happy roasting.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the north

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
None