"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork
Old 02-09-2013, 09:32 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
How long can pork roast cook?

I am cooking a pork shoulder in a crook pot how long can I leave cooking and eat before it gets bad? I want to eat it all week?

nashwillis7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:07 PM   #2
Head Chef
If you mean you're thinking about leaving it cooking in the pot all week, don't do that. Just cook it according to the published recipes for crock pot pork roast. Break it down into meal size lots and refrigerate and heat one each night. What you want to avoid in such situations is repeatedly letting it spend time lukewarm. So break it down into meals.

Now, as to your safety/spoilage question. It won't be dangerous to leave it at normal cooking temperatures for a week, but it will suffer in texture, and any vegetables will turn to mush.

If you just meant to ask how long you could keep it after you cooked it, it will be okay refrigerated for a week, but again, break it down into meals, so it doesn't accumulate too much time at bacteria breeding temperatures.

"Kitchen duty is awarded only to those of manifest excellence..." - The Master, Dogen
GLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:09 PM   #3
Head Chef
When it's falling apart tender, it's done. It generally takes 5+ hours on High for mine, depending on the size.

We generally use ours up in four or five days. I don't reheat the entire thing over and over, I just pull out the portion we need and heat that up.

If there's too much to eat within a few days, it freezes just fine. I generally put it into about 1 cup portions in freezer bags and then use it within a couple months.

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:53 AM   #4
Head Chef
I cook it in the slow cooker or oven for up to six hours . After that its falling apart you really don't need any longer . As other have said, it can then be eaten for at least the next 4-5 days .
Gravy Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:58 AM   #5
Assistant Cook
I would leave in the refrigerator enough for two days. I would then divide the rest up into meal size (maybe one pound packages) place these in the freezer and you can use these packages for up to several months. When you want to prepare them just throw in microwave for quick use. Never leave food in the Crock pot and the refrigerated food is limited time.
Painless Cooking is offline   Reply With Quote

cook, pork, roast