How long do I cook pork tenderloin?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Balsamic Tenderloin

We had our neigbours over for supper last night. I made Balsamic Tenderloin. Cooking them at 350F took only about 35 min, by 60 min it would have been dust. It's a super easy recipe:

2 -2lb tenderloin -drizzle with 4 Tbsp (each) balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Cut slits in pork and stuff in 8 cracked cloves of garlic. Sprinkle with steak seasoning/rosemary/thyme. Roast 350F for 35min or until done to your taste.

Leftovers make good sandwiches. I make my husband very happy when I make tenderloin this way.

The recipes all sound good. This thread has reminded me I haven't made porcetta for awhile...I don't use the tenderloin for this--boneless roast, cut open like a book, I suppose you could. My BF from HS's Italian granny made the best porcetta...(and bread-and-butter pickles). I'll dig out the porcetta recipe later. Porcetta is a Northern Minnesota "thing" thanks to all the Italian immigrants that settled up on the iron range. Weddings, funerals, family reunions, always porcetta. If you don't like fennel, you won't like "Jo's Granny's" porcetta...but I love it. I usually make enough to feed 6...have yet to feed more than two (we can't stop eating it when I make it, and my DH is not a "meat eater." But porcetta, he devours.) Sometimes there is enough for lunch the next day for one. I serve it as a "rolled" roast, not on the buns with the pan drippings poured on top. And, the house smells "mouthwatering" while it cooks...ummm...gotta thaw some pork...

The recipes all sound good. This thread has reminded me I haven't made porcetta for awhile...I don't use the tenderloin for this--boneless roast, cut open like a book, I suppose you could. My BF from HS's Italian granny made the best porcetta...(and bread-and-butter pickles). I'll dig out the porcetta recipe later. Porcetta is a Northern Minnesota "thing" thanks to all the Italian immigrants that settled up on the iron range. Weddings, funerals, family reunions, always porcetta. If you don't like fennel, you won't like "Jo's Granny's" porcetta...but I love it. I usually make enough to feed 6...have yet to feed more than two (we can't stop eating it when I make it, and my DH is not a "meat eater." But porcetta, he devours.) Sometimes there is enough for lunch the next day for one. I serve it as a "rolled" roast, not on the buns with the pan drippings poured on top. And, the house smells "mouthwatering" while it cooks...ummm...gotta thaw some pork...

What is porcetta? I did a quick web search and it seems like it could be a pork roulade or roast shoulder.

What is porcetta? I did a quick web search and it seems like it could be a pork roulade or roast shoulder.

I see Jo misspelt it--or maybe her granny did is Porchetta. What makes the MN version different from the NY or Italian versions is the fennel--the greens and grated part of the bulb. I can't put my hands on Jo's Granny's recipe right now...but, you split the pork loin/roast like a book. Make a rub of dried garlic, oregano, dill seed, dried onion, rosemary, salt, pepper and fresh fennel (you can add fennel seeds as well). You smear this inside the roast, tie it, and then smear the outside with the same. I usually stab a few garlic cloves in as well. Then you put it in a roaster pan, add water, and cook as usual for a pork roast. It is ready when it starts to fall apart. You spoon the pan drippings over it when you serve it. I can't write any more about this...my mouth is watering. In a crockpot it takes about 5-6 hours.

Another great way to cook a pork roast is to put it in a pan with about 2 qt of milk, rosemary (fresh--put the sprigs on top), thyme, salt, pepper and crushed garlic. You cook in a dutch oven for about 1-1/2 hours and then you flip it and let it finish cooking.
K.

this is a great thread from start to finish. i'm glad it was bumped.

i miss lifter. the guy was amazing, and little tolerance was shown him way back when the site was young. to this day i maintain a lesson can be learned from it (he did, afterall, apologize for his ill temper).

but all of the questions and replies were great!

i have 2 tenderloins, the little ones, looking for a recipe. i think i'll try the balsamic one, and a plain one, hopefully on the grill.

this is a great thread from start to finish. i'm glad it was bumped.

i miss lifter. the guy was amazing, and little tolerance was shown him way back when the site was young. to this day i maintain a lesson can be learned from it (he did, afterall, apologize for his ill temper).

but all of the questions and replies were great!

i have 2 tenderloins, the little ones, looking for a recipe. i think i'll try the balsamic one, and a plain one, hopefully on the grill.

If you have the time and inclination, you could try my favourite way to cook pork tenderloin: http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f49/mushroom-stuffed-pork-tenderloin-71328.html#post986653

oh man, taxy, that looks good!

i'm out shopping for dw's birthday, so i didn't get a chance to make the tenderloins. we love shrooms, so if dw doesn't want a lobster and crab boil tomorrow, this is a good possibility. thanks very much.

i still plan to try lifter's fat and garlic studded loin roast someday.

My go to method for cooking pork loins and pork tenderloins is: preheat oven to 500 degrees F, cook pork for 5 1/2 minutes per pound and then shut off oven and leave the door closed for 1 hour(no peeking). They come out juicy and tender every time.

I love pork tenderloins, but find that cooking them on the grill or in the oven ... well, overcook them every time. I put them in a skillet that has a cover. Season and flour, then brown at high heat until thoroughly browned. Cover, take off the heat, then make the rest of the meal. They are so small that they will be done and ready to slice by the time your starch and vegs are done. Never had a miss. They are great for "pork wellingtons" as well.

When I have made pork tenderloin I have done them on the grill, indirect heat. Stick a probe in and pull at 160F to rest.

I did brine with an apple juice brine first.

I have a hard time stomaching pork for some reason. I don't know what it is.. maybe the texture. Because of this I need to have my pork tenderloin stuffed, and sauced.

Yes, I agree on about 30 minutes in the oven and to approximately 145 degrees. It will still be a little pink but you want it to rest for 10 to 15 minutes before slicing so the juices will go back into it. After setting to rest it will be just about the perfect temperature and so juicy and tender.

When I have made pork tenderloin I have done them on the grill, indirect heat. Stick a probe in and pull at 160F to rest.

I did brine with an apple juice brine first.
Z with your cold smoker you should try Lachsschinken or the French filet de saxe.

Z with your cold smoker you should try Lachsschinken or the French filet de saxe.

That stuff is really yummy. I had never heard the German or French terms, just the Danish one. I have got to get a cold smoker and a working meat slicer. I'm sure a lot of my friends wouldn't touch it. "I'm not going to eat raw pork." :LOL:

Tax mate given a choice between smoked salmon and lachsshinken I would pick the lachsshinken every time. Have you ever tried those tins of cold smoked saithe in oil its fab.:)

Tax mate given a choice between smoked salmon and lachsshinken I would pick the lachsshinken every time. Have you ever tried those tins of cold smoked saithe in oil its fab.:)

No, I haven't. I didn't know anyone but Scandihoovians made that sort of thing. But now that I know the name, I will keep an eye out for it.

pork tenderloin

Pork tenderloins usually weigh in at less than 2 pounds. It is unlikely that you have a tenderloin and not a boneless pork loin. Because the product you have is very lean and tender a quick browning of the outside is recommended to lock in juices. Sear all sides in 400 degree oven Lower oven temp to 350 and cook approximately 20 minutes to the pound. Due to the tapering shape of the tenderloin take into consideration to test the middle of the thickest part for doneness. Remove from oven a few degrees (155) under fully cooked (160). let rest before carving for juices to be reabsorbed. Slice diagonally across grain for best and most appealing slices.

Uncle Bob said:
This is one of the oldest Myths in the book, and still gets repeated—by many highly respected cookbook authors and chefs!—to this day. It's been conclusively proven false many times ...Check out Myth Number 4 As well as any others....

Great article, Uncle Bob! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom