How long do I cook pork tenderloin?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi All

I realize this is an old thread but thought I would post for any new people. I'm a pork farmers wife and I can tell you that it's easy to get a 3.5lb tenderloin. It came from a sow instead of a market pig. Market pigs are about 260lb whereas sows are 400lbs+...Paula

Hi, Paula. Welcome to DC.

I'd love to get my hands on a tenderloin that big! Unfortunately, store bought tenderloins are only ever 1.0-1.5 pounds. I'd bet the OP really had a piece of pork loin.

Does the meat from a 400 pound sow taste any different from the meat from a market pig?

Hi Andy

Sows really don't taste any different, but they are less tender. Usually sows are used for tenderloin and sausage (or ground pork), not actual cuts. Needless to say you get a lot of sausage from a sow :) Uncastrated boars on the other hand are just about inedible. Their meat gets a 'tainted' taste when they mature and there is only one processing plant that will take them -a place in Chicago that makes jerky.

i have one thawed in fridge. that i will cook tomorrow. first will lay down two big onions sliced , season them with salt pepper paprika. roast on top . then am going to add a can of apple pie filling. i slice up the apples into smaller pieces. then let er rip for about three to four hours on high, or five on low. the onion get really delicious when slow cooker. the apple mixture imparts a bit of spice and sweet. we love it.

i have one thawed in fridge. that i will cook tomorrow. first will lay down two big onions sliced , season them with salt pepper paprika. roast on top . then am going to add a can of apple pie filling. i slice up the apples into smaller pieces. then let er rip for about three to four hours on high, or five on low. the onion get really delicious when slow cooker. the apple mixture imparts a bit of spice and sweet. we love it.

I wish I had seen this last night Babe...making notes for next time.
I did a pork tenderloin for dinner last night. I browned it off in my CI skillet with lots of spices, and finished it in the oven to 160 degrees. Just succulent, sliced thin. It was very good, but I'll do it your way next time.
I think many people confuse a pork loin for pork tenderloin.........big difference. Pork tenderloin is the Fillet Mignon of the piggy.

I think lean pork is one of the most difficult things to get right - especially without a thermometer!

Personally, I like 145ºF. I find it quickly gets dry and seizes up (toughens) as you approach 155ºF - a tight window! If I happen to miss my thermometer alarm and hit 155ºF+, I cut the tenderloin into chunks and braise it for an extra hour or so in an improvised pan-sauce... :LOL:

Last edited:
I think lean pork is one of the most difficult things to get right - especially without a thermometer!

Personally, I like 145ºF. I find it quickly gets dry and seizes up (toughens) as you approach 155ºF - a tight window! If I happen to miss my thermometer alarm and hit 155ºF+, I cut the tenderloin into chunks and braise it for an extra hour or so in an improvised pan-sauce... :LOL:

I agree.

I find pork tenderloin to be more forgiving than pork loin. The pig industry has successfully bred all fat out of this cut so it's almost always dry. I won't cook a loin unless I brine it first.

I think many people confuse a pork loin for pork tenderloin.........big difference. Pork tenderloin is the Fillet Mignon of the piggy.

Exactly. And that's why you shouldn't overcook it or filet mignon, like in a crockpot or braising.

It is very lean and tender and meant to be cooked quickly at pretty high heat.

How long do I cook Pork Loin For?

All meats should be at the temperature of 165 degrees to be safe to eat. You want to take your meat out at about 155-160 degrees internally. Let it sit for about 15 minutes on the counter. The meat will still be cooking. If you want, take a towel or something to cover the meat with to keep it warm if you're finishing last minute dishes, sauces, or setting the table, do that job while you let meat rest. The reason to let meat rest is so that the juices will remain in the meat.
The oven temp. should be set at 350 degrees, cover with foil to begin with, then take foil off after about 1/2 hour for meat to get browned. Cooking time always varies on pound per meat, so say if you are having pork loin, it's 20-22 minutes per pound.

Pork Loin is a great cut of meat and can be used in so many ways!

Lyndsay5

All meats should be at the temperature of 165 degrees to be safe to eat...

Hi Lyndsay, welcome to DC.

I have to disagree with your statement. 165F is not valid for all meats. I'd never cook a filet mignon or prime rib to that temperature. They are much better at 120-130 F. Pork roasts are excellent at 140-145 F. Your statement is true for chicken and turkey.

I prefer to cook lean meats at a higher temperature. I do roast chickens and pork roasts at 400 F.

You will be happy to know that the packers have finally realized this and are asking for more fat/marble. We grow the pigs the way the public want, it would be easier/cheaper to grow them less lean.

Cooking Pork Loin

Cooking any meat should have an internal temperature of about 165 degrees, ham is 140.

Pork loin should be cooked in a 350 degree oven and the cooking time is 20-22minutes per pound. You'll want to put the meat in and have it covered with foil. Then after about 1/2 hour, take foil off so that the meat gets browned. Pork loin is great when you keep pouring the juices that have dripped in the pan back onto the meat.

When the internal temperature hits about 155-160 degrees, you can take the meat out of the oven. It will still cook if left in same pan. But that's your choice on when you look at the meat. Take the meat and let it set for about 15 minutes. You'll want to do this for all meats. It just keeps the juices inside.

In those 15 minutes, you can finish any last minute dishes, set the table or, have an early glass of wine.

Pork loin is one of the most versatile dishes to make, and usually one of the most affordable cuts of meat. Have fun and happy eating!

Hi Lyndsay, welcome to DC.

I have to disagree with your statement. 165F is not valid for all meats. I'd never cook a filet mignon or prime rib to that temperature. They are much better at 120-130 F. Pork roasts are excellent at 140-145 F. Your statement is true for chicken and turkey.

I prefer to cook lean meats at a higher temperature. I do roast chickens and pork roasts at 400 F.

I agree with you Andy.

Cooking any meat should have an internal temperature of about 165 degrees, ham is 140.

Ham is meat.

I'm with Andy and taxlady in disagreeing with this blanket statement.

You should never cook many cuts of beef to that temp or you'll ruin them.

Pork also needn't be cooked to 165.

165 is the temp that kills of salmonella, which is why that temp is associated withe the safe cooking of poultry.

165 is for poultry

beef lamb pork is 155 -160 for well done

beef and lamb is 145 for medium rare.

Rare beef is in the range of I think 130 - 135

Remember roasting is a function of internal temperature, not time. Any the food should be removed at @ 10 degrees lower than wanted and left to rest, loosely covered, to redistribute the juices and finish cooking.

I finally got a roasting pan with a rack. I'll elect for more braised food.

I love the way I could take a little piece of beef, with no marbling and a ropy grain, and braise it into submission - shredded meat, tender as can be.:chef:

the pork center cut loin that i cooked today got to 150 in about 3 to 31/2 hours on high in crockpot. it had lots of nice liquid from the apple pie filling and the onions. it was delicious. after resting for awhile it sliced beautifully. i really should use the probe and will next time. i think 145 is just fine. the cooker has a probe setting and i just read up on how to use it. it is a new method for me. used my instant read one this time.

This is Lyndsay5, and everyone else is right on the pork. I was trying to figure out how to make a reply, not thinking, being excited, I instantly typed what the safe temperatures I had learned in class years ago. Again, I apologize. I would have never survived years doing that.
Thank you!

This is Lyndsay5, and everyone else is right on the pork. I was trying to figure out how to make a reply, not thinking, being excited, I instantly typed what the safe temperatures I had learned in class years ago. Again, I apologize. I would have never survived years doing that.
Thank you!

You're not the first to make a mistake here. We all do it from time to time.

Back
Top Bottom