"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 11-01-2004, 02:13 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

How long do I cook pork tenderloin?

I have a marinaded 3.5 lb pork tenderloin. Approximately what time/temp do I bake it at?

Old 11-01-2004, 03:08 PM   #2
Head Chef

Welcome to the site, vess!

I am the absolute world's worst to answer this question, since I have YET to have one turn out less than arid, but I know that the resident wisdom will post soon.

Good to have you with us!

Old 11-01-2004, 03:17 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Try this one: roast at 350 for an hour or an hour and 15 minutes. This from a recipe for a rubbed rather than marinated tenderloin, but I believe it would work as well.

Oh, RAAAAAAAAAIIIIIINNNNNNEEEEE!! need your attention here.
Old 11-01-2004, 05:47 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Are you sure you have a 'tenderloin'? Or a 'pork loin'? Tenderloins don't usually wiegh out at 3.5 lbs!
Old 11-01-2004, 11:27 PM   #5

HMMM!

I''m surprised at the size of that hog, too!

Anyways, season and "rub" the meat, then brown it in a cast fry pan...

(Note I did a line on plyllo wrapped pork tenderloin a while ago that's really good...copied from Emeril with a couple tweaks)

You can transfer that back to the roasting pan, and put it in the oven at 325...for a "normal" sized pork tenderloin, I'd say 25-30 minutes, given the oven's fully heated up, but with a slice this big, plan for somewhere around an hour, and use the digital temp probe...

If you want it really good, don't overcook it...we have all been eating "dry as dust" pork roasts due to the so-called "fear" of Trycchuconosis, or whateve its called, where in fact not a single North American has died or been sickened by this in over 40 years...pork tastes really good if only done to "Medium" or even "medium rare" (try this out with thick cut pork chops on the grill!)...

I'd be tempted to be "stabbing" it and inserting garlic chunks, maybe pineapple pieces or apple slices, and/or slicing it up the middle and stuffing it with something sort of "wet" that would "leak" favourable flavours into the meat...and/or laying a few slices of fat over the "work" to keep the outsides from drying out...

Lifter
Old 11-02-2004, 09:16 AM   #6
Master Chef

I agree with Lifter (he know his way around a kitchen). Pork is now considered safe at 155 degrees F. Use a meat thermometer and bring the meat to a temperatre of about 150 degrees. REmove from the oven and let it rest. The meat will continue to cook, with the internal temperature rising about five more degrees.

I would salt all slides and place the tenderloin in a 450' oven for fifteen minutes, reduce the heat to 400, and finish it in the hot oven until its done. The meat will be browned nicely, especially any fat on the outside of the meat.

If the meat has sufficient fat, it will baste itself (make sure the fat side is up). It if is mostly fat free, again as lifter said, poke slitls in the meat and place fresh garlic cloves into half of them. Place lardoons in the other half of the slits.

What are lardoons? Pork used to be loaded with fat. The fat was prized for use in making lard, drippings, even soap. Our more health conscious society now prizes lean meat. This serves to make the meat drier, and more tricky to cook. Lardoons are simply pieces of raw fat, slice into almond-sized slivers, and stuffed into small slits in the meat. It is a French technique that has been used with pork for more years than I've been alive. It makes the meat more juicy and flavorful.

Though Emirell often drives me nuts with his schtik, he was a very serious chef before he became famous, and has a deep love of food. And as he says so often on his show, "It's a pork fat kind of thing". Pork fat does taste great (as does most cooked fat). You just have to use it sparingly, and for flavor rather than substance.

In the orient, and France, fat nets are used for the same purpose. I have never seen a fat net in a grocery store and have no idea where you dould get one. But you can find the occasonal roast with way more fat than is useful for that roast. I get one every now and again, cut the fat off, cut into the right-sized pices, and freeze it for later use as lardoons, flavoring for baked beans or bean soup, etc. It also enhances the flavor of food on the barbecue.

Try this techniqe to make your tenderloin more tender, juicy, and flavorful.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 05:42 PM   #7
Master Chef

I love pork tenderloin :D Such a simple piece of meat that marinates so well and is always tender and juicy. I cook mine at 350 degrees. I cook it 20 minutes per pound. My tenderloins are generally only 1 1/2 pounds though. When it gets to about 5 minutes before time is up I check to see what the temp of the meat is. I cook it till the themometer reads 155 degrees. I let my meat rest 5 minutes before slicing. The meat will continue to cook and the juices will redistribute through the meat. After all said and done the meats usually at 160 degrees when served. I don't like to see any pink when it comes to pork. It always comes out tender and juicy.
Old 11-07-2004, 06:54 PM   #8
Head Chef

Well, dadgummit! I have "leatherized" more pork tenderloins than Ellie Mae made biscuit ammunition for Uncle Jed! Obviously, I'm creamating the stuff (I usually STOP cooking around 160). I've thought about brining (of course!), but haven't forced myself to risk wasting a good piece of pork. After reading and re-reading you guys, I will!
Old 11-08-2004, 07:05 AM   #9
Assistant Cook

Hi I'm new to the forums and I just thought I would weigh in on this. I have been hearing lately that there are no more cases of trichinosis, and it's just not true. In fact there are a small number (very small) of cases in the United States each year. And there are cases of trichinosis every year worldwide. Since the early part of the last century there has been a great decrease in the number of infections due to a few important reasons. It's partly because of what they have been feeding the pigs, but mainly it's because people don't eat undercooked pork anymore.

Cooking pork safely is easy. Trichinella spiralis dies at about 137 degrees farhenheit. All you have to do is cook the pork to 150 and you have a great margin of error for having killed all the Trichinella spiralis. If you are eating your pork medium rare then it's not safe and you are at risk for infection. Freezing pork for several weeks in a very cold freezer also kills Trichinella spiralis but it's less reliable, especially for very thick cuts of pork.

It's easy to find information on this on the internet. Just do a google search for raw pork infection.

As for the original question? I don't think you have a tenderloin, I think you have a pork loin roast. A tenderloin is a lot smaller and leaner. Tenderloin is small enough that they can be grilled over charcoal. I like to sear them in a pan and then finish them in a hot oven for a few minutes. I have never cooked pork loin, but if I were going to I would roast at 350 until it reads 150 fahrenheit on my thermometer.
Old 11-08-2004, 10:31 AM   #10
Senior Cook

[quote="Goodweed of the North"]I agree with Lifter (he know his way around a kitchen). Pork is now considered safe at 155 degrees F. Use a meat thermometer and bring the meat to a temperatre of about 150 degrees. REmove from the oven and let it rest. The meat will continue to cook, with the internal temperature rising about five more degrees.
[quote]

I second the idea to use temp instead of time. I usually shoot for 140 to 145 though and let it raise to 145 to 150. Remember, 155 is lawyer safe .

Once upon a time my mom was making a tenderloin and I convinced her to go by temp instead of time - using the temp indicated by the recipe, it was ready more than 20min ahead of schedule and tasted perfect!

Tags
None