"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork
Click Here to Login

Old 12-31-2016, 01:30 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

How long to cook a whole pork loin roast?

I picked up a whole boneless pork loin roast and i'm not sure how long to cook it. I had my butcher cut it in half so I could fit it in my roasting pan, so now I have two 5 lbs roasts. The guidelines for this are all over the map. Anywhere from 8 to 30 minutes a pound at 350 degrees. It's very confusing. I'm having a large group over on New Years and so i'd like to be able to plan when this will be done. Any insight here would be helpful.

Old 12-31-2016, 02:16 AM   #2
Master Chef

Hi dicken, welcome to DC! ~ Do you have a cooking thermometer, either instant-read or stick-it-in-the-roast-and-put-it-in-the-oven type? A thermometer will make cooking your pork to perfection so much easier.

You need the internal temperature to reach 145 degrees. If you were to remove the roast from the oven when it reaches 135, then tent it with foil while it rests (so that the meat juices are sucked back into the roast, and not a puddle on the platter), it will reach 145.

Here is a bit more about cooking pork: The Right Internal Temperature for Cooked Pork

If you don't have a thermometer, and you aren't inclined to run to the store to buy one on New Year's Eve day, you should be safe if the center of the roast is a very pale shade of light pink. Anything darker, back into the oven for a few. Good luck, and good eating.

"A dream is a festival of lights within your mind."~~~Joan Walsh Anglund
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 06:05 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

I do have a meat thermometer but I would still like to know approximate time so i can plan out when to put in the oven.
Old 12-31-2016, 06:59 AM   #4
Sous Chef

I think it usually gives aproximant cooking times per pound on the back of the package?

Eric.
Old 12-31-2016, 08:34 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

This recipe, originally from Cooks Illustrated, says to plan for 1 hour and 45 minutes of cooking time: http://ninainthekitchen.com/2012/07/...ded-pork-loin/
Old 12-31-2016, 10:03 AM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

I think 1 hour 45 minutes is a bit long for a loin roast. It's OK for planning purposes but I'd check the internal temperature after an hour.
Old 12-31-2016, 10:08 AM   #7
Wine Guy

I'm going the other direction. I would actually plan on about 3 hours from the time you put the roast into the oven, until the time you serve it. Don't forget that it will need about a half hour to rest - give or take - before slicing.

A large roast is pretty flexible. If it's cooking more quickly or slowly than expected, you can always turn the oven temp up or down a bit to compensate. I usually start roasts at around 325F. You can also extend the resting time if need be. I made a 5 lb. lamb roast for Christmas dinner. We were still opening gifts when the roast came out of the oven and it ended up sitting under a foil tent for almost an hour. Guess what? The meat was still perfectly warm when I cut into it.

Enjoy your guests and your party and don't sweat it too much.
Old 12-31-2016, 10:41 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I think 1 hour 45 minutes is a bit long for a loin roast. It's OK for planning purposes but I'd check the internal temperature after an hour.
It's an interesting technique: they say to roast at high heat for 30 minutes, then take it out to rest for 30 minutes; reduce the temperature and then finish roasting. I haven't done it, but I don't make large roasts very much.
Old 12-31-2016, 11:12 AM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
It's an interesting technique: they say to roast at high heat for 30 minutes, then take it out to rest for 30 minutes; reduce the temperature and then finish roasting. I haven't done it, but I don't make large roasts very much.
It's kind of a reverse, reverse sear.
Old 12-31-2016, 11:25 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
It's kind of a reverse, reverse sear.

Tags
cook, other, pork, pork loin, roast