How to cook bacon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know that i am a lil bit late on this one, but if you havent got this issue resolved, take some chop sticks and lay them across a baking tray drape your bacon across them and stick it in the toaster oven. Cooks your bacon and keeps it out of the grease:mrgreen:

In America I cooked bacon in the microwave and in the oven at 400, but I have qualms about using newspaper with no paper towels, and I don't know how to catch the grease in a small toaster oven.
Newspapers here seem the same as in America at first glance, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were something nasty in the ink that I might not want to ingest.
I'm only saying that because I've gotten food poisoning too many times to mention in my short time here. For example, most restaurant toilets have no sink, so I know the staff aren't washing their hands.
:ermm: and you keep eating in the resturants? they must have running water in the kitchen, right? or else how do they cook or wash the dishes and pans? :unsure:

I think bacon tastes better cooked in a frying pan and draining the fat off. I've cooked it several different ways, but this is my favorite - not the way I do it always because it takes a while cooking at medium heat.

I just use my high sided cast iron skillet,(to help with the grease splatter) over medium heat. I turn the bacon often and pull it out of the pan just before it looks like it's done.

I cook bacon a pound at a time.

I did some bacon this afternoon. I used a half sheet pan and placed the bacon on the sheet pan with a slight overlap. Overlap so the lean edge of the bacon is under the overlapping slice. That way the fat is exposed and cooks off while the lean doesn't dry out as much.

I set the oven to 425 F the go get the bacon ready. When I'm done I put the pan in the oven even though it's not up to temperature yet. It's not a critical thing.

When it's done I take the pan out and move the bacon to paper towels to absorb excess fat. What we aren't eating just then I roll up in paper towels, stick the roll in a Ziplock freezer bag and toss it into the freezer.

You can take as many slices as you need from the roll and zap them in the microwave for 10 seconds or so and they are as good as if you had just cooked them.

I used to use a rack in the pan but decided the rack was too hard to clean so I just lay the bacon in the pan. After cooking I leave the pan and fat to cool a bit. When it's cool enough to handle, I pour off the fat to a container to save it if needed or right into the trash can for disposal.

To clean the sheet pan I rinse off any remaining fat then squirt some soap into the pan, add hot tap water ans leave it to soak for a couple of hours. It cleans up easily from there.

I just use my high sided cast iron skillet,(to help with the grease splatter) over medium heat. I turn the bacon often and pull it out of the pan just before it looks like it's done.

My very procedure except I cook mine a bit more crisp. The taste is better than any I've had.

I cook bacon a pound at a time.

I did some bacon this afternoon. I used a half sheet pan and placed the bacon on the sheet pan with a slight overlap. Overlap so the lean edge of the bacon is under the overlapping slice. That way the fat is exposed and cooks off while the lean doesn't dry out as much.

I set the oven to 425 F the go get the bacon ready. When I'm done I put the pan in the oven even though it's not up to temperature yet. It's not a critical thing.

When it's done I take the pan out and move the bacon to paper towels to absorb excess fat. What we aren't eating just then I roll up in paper towels, stick the roll in a Ziplock freezer bag and toss it into the freezer.

You can take as many slices as you need from the roll and zap them in the microwave for 10 seconds or so and they are as good as if you had just cooked them.

I used to use a rack in the pan but decided the rack was too hard to clean so I just lay the bacon in the pan. After cooking I leave the pan and fat to cool a bit. When it's cool enough to handle, I pour off the fat to a container to save it if needed or right into the trash can for disposal.

To clean the sheet pan I rinse off any remaining fat then squirt some soap into the pan, add hot tap water ans leave it to soak for a couple of hours. It cleans up easily from there.

I agree with Andy ... I too cook bacon by the pound but instead of using paper towels I just put the whole pound on two slices of bread slap on some mayo, tomatoes and lettuce. Pour a ice cold beer turn on the tube:LOL:

I agree with Andy ... I too cook bacon by the pound but instead of using paper towels I just put the whole pound on two slices of bread slap on some mayo, tomatoes and lettuce. Pour a ice cold beer turn on the tube:LOL:

:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO: Sounds good to me.

Small amount in a skillet (with splatter screen. Large amounts in the oven on a rack.

But the secret is far enough away from the moochers of the world so you have enough left for your purposes.

Bob

Depends on the outside temp. In a skillet during the winter, in the microwave oven (no kitchen A/C) in the summer. Mom used to use brown paper grocery bags to drain the bacon.

Small amount in a skillet (with splatter screen. Large amounts in the oven on a rack.

But the secret is far enough away from the moochers of the world so you have enough left for your purposes.

Bob
:LOL::LOL: i think i have picked up the scent!! i'll will be right over for bacon!!

:LOL::LOL: i think i have picked up the scent!! i'll will be right over for bacon!!

Guilty as charged, but you would have been disappointed :) Was in the mood for savory this morning so I just made fried taters, onions, and green pepper fried in the fridge'd bacon grease (blanched the taters first), On the last flip, ease an egg over the top, couple of squirts of tabasco, fresh ground pepper, and covered till the white's perfectly set, but the yolk just reaching hot. :-p

Bob

Guilty as charged, but you would have been disappointed :) Was in the mood for savory this morning so I just made fried taters, onions, and green pepper fried in the fridge'd bacon grease (blanched the taters first), On the last flip, ease an egg over the top, couple of squirts of tabasco, fresh ground pepper, and covered till the white's perfectly set, but the yolk just reaching hot. :-p

Bob
img_833603_0_c759fcc28b62d2a1ec4ebcdc32cc833d.gif

There are no paper bags in China. You even have to pay 30 cents for every plastic bag, at any store in the country.
:ROFLMAO:

Now wait a minute here Mr. NYCGayTranslator "No Paper Bags" ..:neutral: Just go outside stand in the street and flag down one of those rickshaw's carts and lay your bacon on top of the shaded top and take a ride until your bacon dryed to perfection;)

Back
Top Bottom