"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 04-06-2009, 12:42 AM   #21
Assistant Cook

I know that i am a lil bit late on this one, but if you havent got this issue resolved, take some chop sticks and lay them across a baking tray drape your bacon across them and stick it in the toaster oven. Cooks your bacon and keeps it out of the grease

Old 04-06-2009, 01:24 AM   #22
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCGayTranslator View Post
In America I cooked bacon in the microwave and in the oven at 400, but I have qualms about using newspaper with no paper towels, and I don't know how to catch the grease in a small toaster oven.
Newspapers here seem the same as in America at first glance, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were something nasty in the ink that I might not want to ingest.
I'm only saying that because I've gotten food poisoning too many times to mention in my short time here. For example, most restaurant toilets have no sink, so I know the staff aren't washing their hands.
and you keep eating in the resturants? they must have running water in the kitchen, right? or else how do they cook or wash the dishes and pans?

Old 04-06-2009, 07:58 PM   #23
Executive Chef

I think bacon tastes better cooked in a frying pan and draining the fat off. I've cooked it several different ways, but this is my favorite - not the way I do it always because it takes a while cooking at medium heat.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:16 PM   #24
Senior Cook

I use a groved Panini cooks fast and flat
Old 07-02-2009, 04:13 PM   #25
Head Chef

I just use my high sided cast iron skillet,(to help with the grease splatter) over medium heat. I turn the bacon often and pull it out of the pan just before it looks like it's done.
Old 07-02-2009, 04:42 PM   #26
Certified Pretend Chef

I cook bacon a pound at a time.

I did some bacon this afternoon. I used a half sheet pan and placed the bacon on the sheet pan with a slight overlap. Overlap so the lean edge of the bacon is under the overlapping slice. That way the fat is exposed and cooks off while the lean doesn't dry out as much.

I set the oven to 425 F the go get the bacon ready. When I'm done I put the pan in the oven even though it's not up to temperature yet. It's not a critical thing.

When it's done I take the pan out and move the bacon to paper towels to absorb excess fat. What we aren't eating just then I roll up in paper towels, stick the roll in a Ziplock freezer bag and toss it into the freezer.

You can take as many slices as you need from the roll and zap them in the microwave for 10 seconds or so and they are as good as if you had just cooked them.

I used to use a rack in the pan but decided the rack was too hard to clean so I just lay the bacon in the pan. After cooking I leave the pan and fat to cool a bit. When it's cool enough to handle, I pour off the fat to a container to save it if needed or right into the trash can for disposal.

To clean the sheet pan I rinse off any remaining fat then squirt some soap into the pan, add hot tap water ans leave it to soak for a couple of hours. It cleans up easily from there.
Old 07-02-2009, 05:05 PM   #27
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnL View Post
I just use my high sided cast iron skillet,(to help with the grease splatter) over medium heat. I turn the bacon often and pull it out of the pan just before it looks like it's done.

My very procedure except I cook mine a bit more crisp. The taste is better than any I've had.
Old 07-02-2009, 05:47 PM   #28
Assistant Cook

Send a message via ICQ to R Hill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I cook bacon a pound at a time.

I did some bacon this afternoon. I used a half sheet pan and placed the bacon on the sheet pan with a slight overlap. Overlap so the lean edge of the bacon is under the overlapping slice. That way the fat is exposed and cooks off while the lean doesn't dry out as much.

I set the oven to 425 F the go get the bacon ready. When I'm done I put the pan in the oven even though it's not up to temperature yet. It's not a critical thing.

When it's done I take the pan out and move the bacon to paper towels to absorb excess fat. What we aren't eating just then I roll up in paper towels, stick the roll in a Ziplock freezer bag and toss it into the freezer.

You can take as many slices as you need from the roll and zap them in the microwave for 10 seconds or so and they are as good as if you had just cooked them.

I used to use a rack in the pan but decided the rack was too hard to clean so I just lay the bacon in the pan. After cooking I leave the pan and fat to cool a bit. When it's cool enough to handle, I pour off the fat to a container to save it if needed or right into the trash can for disposal.

To clean the sheet pan I rinse off any remaining fat then squirt some soap into the pan, add hot tap water ans leave it to soak for a couple of hours. It cleans up easily from there.

I agree with Andy ... I too cook bacon by the pound but instead of using paper towels I just put the whole pound on two slices of bread slap on some mayo, tomatoes and lettuce. Pour a ice cold beer turn on the tube
Old 07-02-2009, 05:48 PM   #29
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Hill View Post
I agree with Andy ... I too cook bacon by the pound but instead of using paper towels I just put the whole pound on two slices of bread slap on some mayo, tomatoes and lettuce. Pour a ice cold beer turn on the tube

Sounds good to me.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:09 AM   #30
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Sounds good to me.
ditto i would love a monster BLT right now!!

Tags
None