"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 05-16-2014, 11:12 AM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

You might be able to ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bacon_seeds.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	21317  

Old 05-16-2014, 11:21 AM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Oh my, I certainly hope not!

Old 05-16-2014, 02:34 PM   #23
Master Chef

CW, if you ever develop a bacon plant I'll risk it to go across the border with some seeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
...How long would it keep in the refrigerator if I cooked several slices of bacon and then crumbled or chopped them up in little doggie tantalizing pieces?
It will be gone the next day. No matter HOW much you make, it will be gone the next day.
Old 05-16-2014, 05:30 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
If you cook the bacon crispy, it will keep in the fridge a long time. There's no moisture to speak of in it.
Old 05-17-2014, 10:49 AM   #25
Executive Chef

My doggie is now 16 and he sometimes gets a little picky eating dog food. My vet has warned me to not feed him table scraps although I suppose trimmed steak is okay.

I've noticed that sprinkling a few bits of bacon from my breakfast on his food enormously increases his interest. So I guess next time I have bacon for breakfast I'll add some extra just for him and save most of it for when I'm not having bacon.

Hey I occasionally have a meal with no bacon! Can't remember just right now when was last time though.......
Old 05-17-2014, 11:51 AM   #26
Master Chef

A bacon infused sweet treat; The Butterscotch with bacon cookie.

I have a friend who was having an art sail, of her own work at her home. She asked me if I would bake some cookies for the showing. I agreed to it, figuring that I would perform a little culinary artistry of my own. I made Toll House cookies, oatmeal raisin cookies, peanut butter cookies, and my own butterscotch bacon cookies. All of them were received well. But the butterscotch-bacon cookies piqued curiosities, and then elicited compliments from everyone who ate them. I was asked for the recipe numerous times. I didn't have it with me to give to them. But I have it for you.

First, butterscotch: I give your this site as the author does a wonderful job of describing the process, but with pictures. Very nice. Butterscotch Sauce Recipe, How to Make Butterscotch | Simply Recipes

Cookie Ingredients:

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 butterscotch sauce (room temperature)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
2 cups butterscotch morsels
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
1 cup crispy bacon bits

Cream together the sugar, butter, and vanilla. Combine the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a seperate bowl. Stir until well mixed. Whisk the egg into the the sugar mixture until smooth. Mix in the butterscotch. Add the flour mixture and stir until smooth. Finally, fold in the morsels, bacon bits, and nuts.

Drop two tablespoons of batter onto a parchment paper lined cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees F. for 9 minutes.

Enjoy.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 07:18 PM   #27
Master Chef

Have you ever wrapped a whole chicken in bacon and roasted it? The chicken is wonderful, and the juices for gravy are amazing. Here's how you do that.

Bring a whole chicken to room temperature, and dry completely with paper towels. Lay bacon strips from tail to neck to completely encase the top and sides of the chicken. place quartered potatoes and onions, and sliced mushrooms in the bottom of your roasting pan. Place the chicken on top and roast at 375'F for about 15 minutes per pound. Check the meat temperature with an instant read thermometer in the thickest part of the breast, with the tip nearly touching the thigh/body joint, but not touching the bone. When the temperature reads 145' F. Increase the oven temp to 425 and remove the bacon. Set aside. Roast the chicken until the skin is browned. Remove the bird when the thermometer place in the same place reads 155 to 160'F. Let rest for 15 minutes, then carve.

While the chicken is resting, remove the spuds and make pan gravy from the mushroom, bacon, and drippings.

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 05-18-2014, 09:02 PM   #28
Master Chef

We like pancakes/waffles with cooked crumbled bacon and corn niblets added to the batter. Mom made them when I was a kid and I have continued the tradition.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:03 AM   #29
Head Chef

Bacon bowl,hollowed out tom w/onion,sasuage,cheese & egg.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:01 PM   #30
Master Chef

A deconstructed BLT is always great, as is a BLT. Use rye bread for a great flavor. I always order my BLT's on rye bread since I tried it. Great flavor combination.

For the deconstructed version, simple tear up some green, or red-leaf lettuce, add chopped, ripe tomato, and toasted bread cubes. Dress it with a little mayo, or Miracle Whip salad dressing, or a little ranch dressing. Chopped onion works in the salad as well, but then it's a deconstructed BOLT (bacon-onion-lettuce & tomato)

Tags
bacon