I am looking for some bacon Ideas.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You might be able to ...

Attachments

• bacon_seeds.jpg
    bacon_seeds.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 648
CW, if you ever develop a bacon plant I'll risk it to go across the border with some seeds. ;)

...How long would it keep in the refrigerator if I cooked several slices of bacon and then crumbled or chopped them up in little doggie tantalizing pieces?
It will be gone the next day. No matter HOW much you make, it will be gone the next day. :yum:

My doggie is now 16 and he sometimes gets a little picky eating dog food. My vet has warned me to not feed him table scraps although I suppose trimmed steak is okay.

I've noticed that sprinkling a few bits of bacon from my breakfast on his food enormously increases his interest. :) So I guess next time I have bacon for breakfast I'll add some extra just for him and save most of it for when I'm not having bacon.

Hey I occasionally have a meal with no bacon! :D Can't remember just right now when was last time though....... ;)

A bacon infused sweet treat; The Butterscotch with bacon cookie.

I have a friend who was having an art sail, of her own work at her home. She asked me if I would bake some cookies for the showing. I agreed to it, figuring that I would perform a little culinary artistry of my own. I made Toll House cookies, oatmeal raisin cookies, peanut butter cookies, and my own butterscotch bacon cookies. All of them were received well. But the butterscotch-bacon cookies piqued curiosities, and then elicited compliments from everyone who ate them. I was asked for the recipe numerous times. I didn't have it with me to give to them. But I have it for you.

First, butterscotch: I give your this site as the author does a wonderful job of describing the process, but with pictures. Very nice. Butterscotch Sauce Recipe, How to Make Butterscotch | Simply Recipes

Cookie Ingredients:

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 butterscotch sauce (room temperature)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
2 cups butterscotch morsels
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
1 cup crispy bacon bits

Cream together the sugar, butter, and vanilla. Combine the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a seperate bowl. Stir until well mixed. Whisk the egg into the the sugar mixture until smooth. Mix in the butterscotch. Add the flour mixture and stir until smooth. Finally, fold in the morsels, bacon bits, and nuts.

Drop two tablespoons of batter onto a parchment paper lined cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees F. for 9 minutes.

Enjoy.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Have you ever wrapped a whole chicken in bacon and roasted it? The chicken is wonderful, and the juices for gravy are amazing. Here's how you do that.

Bring a whole chicken to room temperature, and dry completely with paper towels. Lay bacon strips from tail to neck to completely encase the top and sides of the chicken. place quartered potatoes and onions, and sliced mushrooms in the bottom of your roasting pan. Place the chicken on top and roast at 375'F for about 15 minutes per pound. Check the meat temperature with an instant read thermometer in the thickest part of the breast, with the tip nearly touching the thigh/body joint, but not touching the bone. When the temperature reads 145' F. Increase the oven temp to 425 and remove the bacon. Set aside. Roast the chicken until the skin is browned. Remove the bird when the thermometer place in the same place reads 155 to 160'F. Let rest for 15 minutes, then carve.

While the chicken is resting, remove the spuds and make pan gravy from the mushroom, bacon, and drippings.

We like pancakes/waffles with cooked crumbled bacon and corn niblets added to the batter. Mom made them when I was a kid and I have continued the tradition.

A deconstructed BLT is always great, as is a BLT. Use rye bread for a great flavor. I always order my BLT's on rye bread since I tried it. Great flavor combination.

For the deconstructed version, simple tear up some green, or red-leaf lettuce, add chopped, ripe tomato, and toasted bread cubes. Dress it with a little mayo, or Miracle Whip salad dressing, or a little ranch dressing. Chopped onion works in the salad as well, but then it's a deconstructed BOLT (bacon-onion-lettuce & tomato;))

For Sunday brunch, DH makes bacon and then cooks our hash browns and my fried eggs in the fat. I like to mix the crumbled bacon in with the potatoes.

When I make twice-baked potatoes, I mix crumbled bacon, minced onion, shredded cheddar and chopped parsley into the mashed-potato filling.

Pre-cooked bacon is also good in a grilled cheese sandwich.

For Sunday brunch, DH makes bacon and then cooks our hash browns and my fried eggs in the fat. I like to mix the crumbled bacon in with the potatoes.

When I make twice-baked potatoes, I mix crumbled bacon, minced onion, shredded cheddar and chopped parsley into the mashed-potato filling.

Pre-cooked bacon is also good in a grilled cheese sandwich.

Your statement made me think; "Of course it would have to be pre-cooked bacon. You certainly wouldn't eat it raw," Then I remembered: I once had almost raw bacon. It was just barely warmed. I was in Boy Scouts at the time, as a 12 year old. I woke late that day, and barely had time to throw a couple of eggs and a few strips of bacon into my mess kit, and put it on the fire before we left. I didn't have time to cook the bacon through. I ate it as it was and had no ill effects, thankfully. Oh, and I wouldn't recommend anyone else trying this. I've always had this uniquely cast-iron stomach.;)

Last edited:
Your statement made me think; "Of course it would have to be pre-cooked bacon. You certainly wouldn't eat it raw," Then I remembered: I once had almost raw bacon. It was just barely warmed. I was in Boy Scouts at the time, as a 12 year old. I woke late that day, and barely had time to throw a couple of eggs and a few strips of bacon into my mess kit, and put it on the fire before we left. I didn't have time to cook the bacon through. I ate it as it was and had no ill effects, thankfully. Oh, and I wouldn't recommend anyone else trying this. I've always had this uniquely cast-iron stomach.;)

Reading your posts in the present time, are you sure you had no ill effects???? ;)

I like your idea of the deconstructed BLT. I often reconstruct/deconstruct Asian recipes, and it makes total sense.

I may have brain damage too. How would you know if it was your brain making the decision of whether your brain is deconstructed? Anyway mine works well enough to feed myself and post on forums. Unless I'm imagining the part about posting. If so then you are imagining you're reading this, in which case you should get your brain checked.

Back
Top Bottom