"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-15-2012, 12:25 AM   #61
Executive Chef
 
Timothy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: St. Augustine, Florida
Posts: 2,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolk View Post
Have you tried bacon wrapped dates? They have become my new go to treat for special occasions. Easy yet unusual, at least around here and just oh so yummy.
What a cool combination of flavors that would be! The bacon fat would also help with the stickiness of the date and make it more easily chewed.

MMmmmmmmm, I can almost taste it.
__________________

__________________
Confirmed Sushi Addict
Timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:45 AM   #62
Cupcake
 
Kathleen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Mid-Atlantic, USA
Posts: 2,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolk View Post
Have you tried bacon wrapped dates? They have become my new go to treat for special occaisions. Easy yet unusual, at least around here and just oh so yummy.
Those are wonderful! My mother would make them when she had people over around the holidays. I'd almost forgotten about them!
__________________

__________________
A little bit Ginger. A little bit Mary Ann.
Kathleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:52 AM   #63
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Galena, IL
Posts: 7,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I love bacon. But for the most part have given it up do to the fall bladder problem. I have really tried to cut back on my fat intake. When I had my gall bladder attack last year, the doctors told me that 95% of all gall bladder attacks are caused by people who have just eaten Chinese food. They cook almost all their food in fat. And I had just eaten some fried rice. Right now, even though I am not hungry, I would love a BLT.
The Chinese food thing cracks me up. One time I took my parents to a place called "The Great Wok of China" in the Royal Hawaiian shopping complex in Waikiki. Much like a Japanese steak house, they cooked on woks over a roaring fire, right in front of you. We loved it! BUT -- none of us realized how much oil was used in these stir-fries. Tons of the stuff. I already knew about that with real fried rice (a lot of Chinese places I've been to around the country simply toss in some frozen vegs to some steamed rice, add some soy, and call it fried rice. Ironically, it's probably healthier than the real deal). In fact,the Chinese people I've known are inclined to take a dollop of the stir fry, or a bit of meat, or something like that, then put it on a bowl of rice (or noodles), and make most of their meal the starch, not the meat or even vegs.
__________________
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:01 AM   #64
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: va by way of upstate ny
Posts: 4,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
Those are wonderful! My mother would make them when she had people over around the holidays. I'd almost forgotten about them!

bacon-wrapped dates--sounds wonderful. i wonder why it is that the only time i see fresh dates in the supermarkets is holiday-time....
__________________
vitauta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:32 AM   #65
Executive Chef
 
Timothy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: St. Augustine, Florida
Posts: 2,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
The Chinese food thing cracks me up. One time I took my parents to a place called "The Great Wok of China" in the Royal Hawaiian shopping complex in Waikiki. Much like a Japanese steak house, they cooked on woks over a roaring fire, right in front of you. We loved it! BUT -- none of us realized how much oil was used in these stir-fries. Tons of the stuff. I already knew about that with real fried rice (a lot of Chinese places I've been to around the country simply toss in some frozen vegs to some steamed rice, add some soy, and call it fried rice. Ironically, it's probably healthier than the real deal). In fact,the Chinese people I've known are inclined to take a dollop of the stir fry, or a bit of meat, or something like that, then put it on a bowl of rice (or noodles), and make most of their meal the starch, not the meat or even vegs.
To properly cook stir-fry, only one or two tablespoons of oil should be used while rapidly turning the food into the hot oil to coat. The oil is heated first, to alter it's viscosity to a very thin state. Then the food is added adn moved about very rapidly to coat it with the thinned, super hot oil.

If you've seen someone using "Tons" of oil, they aren't cooking traditional Chinese stir-fry. The places like KFC, BugerKing and the like use 100 times the oil that Stir-Fry should use.
__________________
Confirmed Sushi Addict
Timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:45 AM   #66
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,882
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolk View Post
Have you tried bacon wrapped dates? They have become my new go to treat for special occaisions. Easy yet unusual, at least around here and just oh so yummy.
A friend of mine had a "bacon explosion" party recently. Somebody brought bacon wrapped dates, stuffed with almonds. I only had one and it was interesting. I have to try some more of those. DH really liked them.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:34 AM   #67
Cupcake
 
Kathleen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Mid-Atlantic, USA
Posts: 2,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
A friend of mine had a "bacon explosion" party recently. Somebody brought bacon wrapped dates, stuffed with almonds. I only had one and it was interesting. I have to try some more of those. DH really liked them.
What a fun idea! Maybe we should have a "Baconomy" party on Tax Day this year! (Your name along with the post gave me this idea, you know! )
__________________
A little bit Ginger. A little bit Mary Ann.
Kathleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 12:00 PM   #68
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: va by way of upstate ny
Posts: 4,442
...or call it Bacon poundHog day, and we could celebrate it next month already....:)
__________________
vitauta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 12:07 PM   #69
Master Chef
 
FrankZ's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chesapeake Bay
Posts: 9,633
Why choose? There is plenty of room for lots of bacon ideas.
__________________
"First you start with a pound of bologna..."
-My Grandmother on how to make ham salad.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 12:13 PM   #70
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: va by way of upstate ny
Posts: 4,442
when you're right, you're right.(pig smile)
__________________

__________________
vitauta is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bacon, recipe

I got BACON! For Christmas Kathleen got me a bacon of the month club. [SIZE=4][COLOR=Red] :pig:I GOT BACON![/COLOR][/SIZE]:pig: Now I have to figure out what to do with it. There is: Hickory smoked x 2. Applewood smoked. Maplewood smoked. Sun dried tomato. Seasoning end pieces and two hocks. [SIZE=4][COLOR=Red]:pig:I GOT BACON![/COLOR][/SIZE]:pig: 3 stars 1 reviews
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.