I got BACON!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Have you tried bacon wrapped dates? They have become my new go to treat for special occasions. Easy yet unusual, at least around here and just oh so yummy.

What a cool combination of flavors that would be! The bacon fat would also help with the stickiness of the date and make it more easily chewed.

MMmmmmmmm, I can almost taste it.

Have you tried bacon wrapped dates? They have become my new go to treat for special occaisions. Easy yet unusual, at least around here and just oh so yummy.

Those are wonderful! My mother would make them when she had people over around the holidays. I'd almost forgotten about them!

I love bacon. But for the most part have given it up do to the fall bladder problem. I have really tried to cut back on my fat intake. When I had my gall bladder attack last year, the doctors told me that 95% of all gall bladder attacks are caused by people who have just eaten Chinese food. They cook almost all their food in fat. And I had just eaten some fried rice. Right now, even though I am not hungry, I would love a BLT. :yum:

The Chinese food thing cracks me up. One time I took my parents to a place called "The Great Wok of China" in the Royal Hawaiian shopping complex in Waikiki. Much like a Japanese steak house, they cooked on woks over a roaring fire, right in front of you. We loved it! BUT -- none of us realized how much oil was used in these stir-fries. Tons of the stuff. I already knew about that with real fried rice (a lot of Chinese places I've been to around the country simply toss in some frozen vegs to some steamed rice, add some soy, and call it fried rice. Ironically, it's probably healthier than the real deal). In fact,the Chinese people I've known are inclined to take a dollop of the stir fry, or a bit of meat, or something like that, then put it on a bowl of rice (or noodles), and make most of their meal the starch, not the meat or even vegs.

Those are wonderful! My mother would make them when she had people over around the holidays. I'd almost forgotten about them!

bacon-wrapped dates--sounds wonderful. i wonder why it is that the only time i see fresh dates in the supermarkets is holiday-time....

Last edited:
The Chinese food thing cracks me up. One time I took my parents to a place called "The Great Wok of China" in the Royal Hawaiian shopping complex in Waikiki. Much like a Japanese steak house, they cooked on woks over a roaring fire, right in front of you. We loved it! BUT -- none of us realized how much oil was used in these stir-fries. Tons of the stuff. I already knew about that with real fried rice (a lot of Chinese places I've been to around the country simply toss in some frozen vegs to some steamed rice, add some soy, and call it fried rice. Ironically, it's probably healthier than the real deal). In fact,the Chinese people I've known are inclined to take a dollop of the stir fry, or a bit of meat, or something like that, then put it on a bowl of rice (or noodles), and make most of their meal the starch, not the meat or even vegs.

To properly cook stir-fry, only one or two tablespoons of oil should be used while rapidly turning the food into the hot oil to coat. The oil is heated first, to alter it's viscosity to a very thin state. Then the food is added adn moved about very rapidly to coat it with the thinned, super hot oil.

If you've seen someone using "Tons" of oil, they aren't cooking traditional Chinese stir-fry. The places like KFC, BugerKing and the like use 100 times the oil that Stir-Fry should use.

Have you tried bacon wrapped dates? They have become my new go to treat for special occaisions. Easy yet unusual, at least around here and just oh so yummy.

A friend of mine had a "bacon explosion" party recently. Somebody brought bacon wrapped dates, stuffed with almonds. I only had one and it was interesting. I have to try some more of those. DH really liked them.

A friend of mine had a "bacon explosion" party recently. Somebody brought bacon wrapped dates, stuffed with almonds. I only had one and it was interesting. I have to try some more of those. DH really liked them.

What a fun idea! Maybe we should have a "Baconomy" party on Tax Day this year! (Your name along with the post gave me this idea, you know! :))

Given the location, the place was geared to tourists, I'm sure. But the cooks and such were definitely Chinese. I think they were out of the "friendship" store. It was before "normalization" of relations between the U.S. and China. Maybe they were trying to poison us with too much oil; heaven knows we've gotten a lot of stuff from China these days that is less than healthy!

When I say "tons" of oil, I just mean a heck of a lot more than Yan or any recipe I've seen. Not as much as you'd see in a deep fryer. Just, say, more like a third a cup rather than a couple of tablespoons. It was very, very delicious, just more oil than we expected.

We tried the maplewood smoked this morning on breakfast sandwiches.

Seemed less salty than the hickory smoked from the other day. Very nice it was.
Ut Oh it turned you into Yoda!!

Back
Top Bottom