I have stopped eating pork

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
we love pork at home...and i have to admit i sometimes note a 'gamey' quality at the end of pork.

to me it just takes like, well, pork. that's just what pork tastes like.

Yo buckytom, sadly if you love hot food you may not be a super taster. You will always be SUPER though! ;)

i think 'm one, and that's why sweet food is so overwhelming to me. i just think it's so cloying.

cafeandy said:
we love pork at home...and i have to admit i sometimes note a 'gamey' quality at the end of pork.

to me it just takes like, well, pork. that's just what pork tastes like.

of course i'm not real fond of lamb because it has a little 'something' that reminds me of wet wool...in fact i don't eat it.

Try some simple cooking ideas cook with apples, make a sauce/gravy with a touch of yellow mustard, capers, minced dill pickles, a pinch of cloves
this will not cover the taste of pork but inhance it , I eat pork most of the time and have never noticed any after taste

dave, thanks for digging deep. you're resurrecting some good old threads.

i've thought a lot about this thread over the last two years or so. lol, some things just stick in your mind. i have noticed that there IS a slight smell that could be considered similar to a pig wallow in certain cuts of pork. not always, tho.

i haven't been able to identify the cause, but it seems to disappear when cooked. imo, anyway.

btw, that super taster thing is crap. i think people try to convince themselves of that. everything else in life works in great ranges, with variation to the tester's method. supertasters have some special accuity in certain ranges?

"(2) Odor.
(a) Fresh raw meat usually has an odor reminiscent of commercial lactic acid.
This odor is stronger in more mature animals than in younger animals of the same species. Meat from
mature uncastrated male animals is often characterized as having an ammonia or staggy odor. A
“piggy” odor of unknown origin is sometimes noted in pork. “Fishy” odors may be detected when an
animal has been fed rations high in fish products. Other terms such as “gamey” or “aged” are used to
describe meat stored unfrozen. Prolonged storage, particularly under unfavorable conditions, may
cause the development of proteolytic or putrid odors from protein decomposition, “sour” or “tainted”
odors from microbial growth, and rancid odors from fat oxidation. These rancid odors are described as
tallowy for beef; muttony for mutton; and stale, cheesy, acrylic, fishy or oily for pork. The receiving clerk
should keep in mind that the first evidence of spoilage for beef is noted on the surface of the product.
Discoloration, dried, sticky or slimy surfaces are clues to mishandled product which may be unfit for
human consumption. Pork, however, first deteriorates inside the cut near the bone. Odors are easily
detected by inserting a knife bone-deep in the flesh and then sniffing the tip of the knife."

taken from: http://www.dcf.state.fl.us/publications/policies/045-7.pdf

Based on my experience consuming self caught and butchered wild game (deer, pheasant, grouse waterfowl, rabbit, and squirrel) –
The greatest influence on their flavor is what they have been eating and the promptness with which they have been killed, carefully butchered / cleaned and cooled.
With respect to deer and pheasant I prefer the flavor and texture of the buck and cock.
Since hogs are omnivorous, I’d speculate that their diet would be a major factor in the taste of their meat.

buckytom said:
btw, that super taster thing is crap. i think people try to convince themselves of that. everything else in life works in great ranges, with variation to the tester's method. supertasters have some special accuity in certain ranges?
Bucky, super tasters are real. They have a greater concentration of taste buds on their tongue. If memory serves, it was something like 4x the amount of taste buds as a non super taster. I watched a program on Nova hosted by Alan Alda in which they did studies on super tasters (Alda, it turns out, is one). There was a test in which they gave the subject a little piece of paper to put in their mouth. They did not say what should happen before the subjects tasted the paper. When a super taster put it on their tongue they instantly scrunched up their face as if they just bit into a lemon. They all said it was horribly bitter. The non super tasters had no reaction at all.

I am not a super taster, but I have no doubt that it is real. Personally, I could not be happier that I am not one. It seems that super tasters are more sensative to negative tastes and thus like less foods than non super tasters.

ironchef said:
For those who don't like pork, sucks to be you and more for me. :pig:
I am with ya IC. I am Jewish and would love to keep kosher, but I know I would never be able to do it for the sole reason that I would not be able to give up eating pig, a wonderful, magical animal.

It's a fact that some people have more taste buds than others. I can taste and smell things that my husband can't, even though I'm a smoker.

I love pork, but when we re-heat it, I can sometimes detect a "different" taste that one could describe as slightly gamey. The pork isn't spoiled...that's just the way it tastes. I've also noted that taste in bacon after it's been in the fridge a while. We have friends who slaughter their own pigs, and the bacon from their freezer alway seems to have that taste.

IMO, all raw meat has a certain odor, which varies depending on the kind of meat. Chicken can be really rank. This is when lemon juice is your friend. Just splash a little over the surface of the raw meat (the bottled stuff is fine for this), and the odor is gone, and you get a fresher, cleaner taste. That may help you with your pork, too. You might give it a try.

Pork doesn't smell

Try this recipe and you may change your mind. It's simple and GREAT! I have eaten pork all my life and never had the sensation you describe. It could really be your imagination or perception since some folks say the pigs are "dirty". In reality, pigs are some of the cleanest barnyard animals!

TomSak

Pork Roast Dinner

3-4 lb pork shoulder roast
1 med onion
seasonings to taste
5-6 med size potatoes

Put the pork roast in crock pot and cover with water add onion and
seasonings, start the night before and let cook on low all night and all
day. Peel potatoes and boil until soft, mash. Drain the juice from the
pork roast from crock pot into pot and put on stove and add beef bouillion
to taste, then thicken with flour/water mixture. To serve cover meat and
mashed pototoes with gravy and serve. Vegetable of choice of course.

Back
Top Bottom