"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 08-12-2007, 10:27 AM   #51
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom

btw, that super taster thing is crap. i think people try to convince themselves of that. everything else in life works in great ranges, with variation to the tester's method. supertasters have some special accuity in certain ranges?
Bucky, super tasters are real. They have a greater concentration of taste buds on their tongue. If memory serves, it was something like 4x the amount of taste buds as a non super taster. I watched a program on Nova hosted by Alan Alda in which they did studies on super tasters (Alda, it turns out, is one). There was a test in which they gave the subject a little piece of paper to put in their mouth. They did not say what should happen before the subjects tasted the paper. When a super taster put it on their tongue they instantly scrunched up their face as if they just bit into a lemon. They all said it was horribly bitter. The non super tasters had no reaction at all.

I am not a super taster, but I have no doubt that it is real. Personally, I could not be happier that I am not one. It seems that super tasters are more sensative to negative tastes and thus like less foods than non super tasters.

Old 08-12-2007, 10:30 AM   #52
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef
For those who don't like pork, sucks to be you and more for me.
I am with ya IC. I am Jewish and would love to keep kosher, but I know I would never be able to do it for the sole reason that I would not be able to give up eating pig, a wonderful, magical animal.

Old 08-12-2007, 10:44 AM   #53
Master Chef

It's a fact that some people have more taste buds than others. I can taste and smell things that my husband can't, even though I'm a smoker.

I love pork, but when we re-heat it, I can sometimes detect a "different" taste that one could describe as slightly gamey. The pork isn't spoiled...that's just the way it tastes. I've also noted that taste in bacon after it's been in the fridge a while. We have friends who slaughter their own pigs, and the bacon from their freezer alway seems to have that taste.

IMO, all raw meat has a certain odor, which varies depending on the kind of meat. Chicken can be really rank. This is when lemon juice is your friend. Just splash a little over the surface of the raw meat (the bottled stuff is fine for this), and the odor is gone, and you get a fresher, cleaner taste. That may help you with your pork, too. You might give it a try.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:57 PM   #54
Assistant Cook

Pork doesn't smell

Try this recipe and you may change your mind. It's simple and GREAT! I have eaten pork all my life and never had the sensation you describe. It could really be your imagination or perception since some folks say the pigs are "dirty". In reality, pigs are some of the cleanest barnyard animals!

TomSak

Pork Roast Dinner

3-4 lb pork shoulder roast
1 med onion
seasonings to taste
5-6 med size potatoes

Put the pork roast in crock pot and cover with water add onion and
seasonings, start the night before and let cook on low all night and all
day. Peel potatoes and boil until soft, mash. Drain the juice from the
pork roast from crock pot into pot and put on stove and add beef bouillion
to taste, then thicken with flour/water mixture. To serve cover meat and
mashed pototoes with gravy and serve. Vegetable of choice of course.

Tags
None