"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 01-09-2005, 07:01 PM   #1
Senior Cook

I have stopped eating pork

I have stopped eating pork because the meat always has an ever-so-faint flavor of stockyard, that is to say manure, almost indiscernable but present nonetheless. There are a couple of sources of homegrown pork not too far from here but it's almost impossible for me to get to them so I'm sticking to cheese and homegrown eggs, with the occasional dish of beef. sigh :(

Old 01-09-2005, 09:27 PM   #2

Consider trying ham, or brined/cured cuts...

If you taste any "stockyard" in that, you will know its "in your head", as opposed "in the meat"...

Old 01-09-2005, 11:21 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

Leigh:

What do you think makes the pork smell like that and what would be different about the local stuff?? It would be a shame to give up such a versatile and flavorful meat.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:06 AM   #4
Senior Cook

Lifter: Guess I didn't make myself very clear - I'm talking about fresh pork. I can't eat ham because of all the salt. Though if I ever get my mitts on a decent hunk of pork shoulder, I'll have a go at curing it.

Andy: It isn't a smell, it's a very faint aftertaste, and I think is caused by the pigs being crowded into "finishing" pens which are hosed down only periodically throughout the day; thus the pigs have to wallow in their own excrement part of the time. The home-grown pigs I'm talking about are either free range or are kept in pens which are big enough to give everybody in them room to roam, eat, socialize, etc. without having to wade through dung to do so. The minute I find the right kind of pork, my freezer is going to be a whole lot more crowded than it is right now.

Thanks for asking. :D
Old 01-10-2005, 12:26 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

pigs have been a' wallowin' in their own excrement way before modern farming practices, so maybe there's something else wrong with your meat supplier leigh. maybe the way in which they are slaughtered, and the meat is processed.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 12:57 AM   #6

HMMMM!

Interesting, Leigh!

I live in Canada, so its a different country and different "governance" on standards for "kill and process" plants...

Naturally, there's "no way" that "manure" is being present in the same places as "hanging meat", and, of course, the "surface exposure" of meat is quite limited, compared with the meat muscle mass...(ie if you dug out a "cube" or "scoop" from within a loin or ham or shoulder, its plainly impossible for this to have been in contact with any form of anilmal excrement!) ("inside slices of pork roast, for instance!)

So if you can "rationalise" to that point, "wash" the "outside pieces" of your pork thoroughly before freezing and you are past the point of your objection....

You might also consider that the USA has no "quota" system...whoever produces the most, the cheapest, "wins", down there, so there's no "proof" that the pork you buy at your local A+P or Wynn Dixie or whatever is coming from the neighbourhood "stinky" plant...

The North American "appetite" for pork "ribs" is almost limitless, and yet the Danes consider this part of the pork carcass to be "inedible" (dunno why, but lets encourage them!) and therefor, the Chef that gave me a few classes advised that a "lot" of what we got was "frozen Danish ribs"...notice any "aftertaste" there? (of course, you cannot...the ribs are beneath the skin, as are the chops, loin roasts etc)

If you did, again, its in your "head"...or there'd be a simply MASSIVE die-off of people from e-coli bacteria in place and process...

Have you considered this, or "re-locating" your residence to get around this "problem"?

Lifter
Old 01-10-2005, 10:17 AM   #7
Executive Chef

I find it hard to believe that any smell or taste could/would penetrate thru the skin into the meat. If this were so, wouldn't poultry and beef have the same problem, as they are lept in the smae kinds of pens.

Having lived in the country and having neighbors who raised livestock, from what I remember their pigs wallered in their own stuff most of the time.
Old 01-10-2005, 09:25 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifter
HMMMM!

Naturally, there's "no way" that "manure" is being present in the same places as "hanging meat", and, of course, the "surface exposure" of meat is quite limited, compared with the meat muscle mass...(ie if you dug out a "cube" or "scoop" from within a loin or ham or shoulder, its plainly impossible for this to have been in contact with any form of anilmal excrement!) ("inside slices of pork roast, for instance!)

So if you can "rationalise" to that point, "wash" the "outside pieces" of your pork thoroughly before freezing and you are past the point of your objection....

You might also consider that the USA has no "quota" system...whoever produces the most, the cheapest, "wins", down there, so there's no "proof" that the pork you buy at your local A+P or Wynn Dixie or whatever is coming from the neighbourhood "stinky" plant...

The North American "appetite" for pork "ribs" is almost limitless, and yet the Danes consider this part of the pork carcass to be "inedible" (dunno why, but lets encourage them!) and therefor, the Chef that gave me a few classes advised that a "lot" of what we got was "frozen Danish ribs"...notice any "aftertaste" there? (of course, you cannot...the ribs are beneath the skin, as are the chops, loin roasts etc)

If you did, again, its in your "head"...or there'd be a simply MASSIVE die-off of people from e-coli bacteria in place and process...

Have you considered this, or "re-locating" your residence to get around this "problem"?

Lifter
Of course there's no manure present during the butchering and hanging! That is not what I am talking about at all. Noxious--and beneficial--substances can be and are absorbed through the skin and then transported throughout the body--as witness the many medications for us humans in the form of skin patches. (The most well known of these is of course the nicotine patch, but there are many others.) I am NOT talking about bacterial contamination, whether e. coli or any of the any other dozens of bacteria, but the FLAVOR that is left behind by the manure that is absorbed through the animal's skin and processed by its body. Ever try mixing up a cake in a bowl that's been rubbed with a garlic clove? Same difference.

btw, I really don't appreciate your condescending attitude. I'm perfectly willing to agree to disagree, but I am NOT willing to be told that my perceptions are "all in my head"!
Old 01-10-2005, 09:44 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainee
I find it hard to believe that any smell or taste could/would penetrate thru the skin into the meat. If this were so, wouldn't poultry and beef have the same problem, as they are lept in the smae kinds of pens.

Having lived in the country and having neighbors who raised livestock, from what I remember their pigs wallered in their own stuff most of the time.
It is hard to believe, Rainee, but it's true, cross my heart. Whatever is absorbed through the skin is circulated throughout the body and processed by the body, doesn't matter where that body happens to be on the food chain . . . this can be a very good thing at times; for example, medication patches.

Poultry and beef wouldn't have the same problem because chickens and cattle don't roll around on the ground--if they ever did, somebody had better get them out of there right quick, because something is drastically wrong!

We raised pigs, but they always had enough room that their wallows and their latrines were in separate areas of the pen. We also had chickens and goats until my youngest brother outgrew his cows' milk allergy; then we swapped the goats for a dairy herd of Ayrshires, still kept pigs and chickens and a couple of horses, and one memorable summer my dad and I raised 50 ducks. There was a plague of miller moths that year and those ducks thought they'd died and gone to heaven when we'd dump another dishpanful of millers into their pond. For a long time my dad also had a donkey that he got a lot of fun out of.

Anyway, I haven't given up altogether on pork: I'm still hunting and tasting . . . :)
Old 01-10-2005, 10:58 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

i'm gonna have to give this a test, leigh. well, once my nose clears up. i eat a lot of pork, but it is usually served spiced or in a sauce that might hide what you are talking about. what cuts of pork and how do you prepare it that you experience the bad taste?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None