"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 12-04-2006, 01:58 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Send a message via ICQ to Billdolfski Send a message via AIM to Billdolfski Send a message via MSN to Billdolfski Send a message via Yahoo to Billdolfski
Ideas for pancetta

I was at the store recently and though I didn't have any plans for it, I don't usually see it around here so I picked some up.

Any ideas of what I could do with it, any recipes? I'm sure I could use in a sauce or something, but it on a sandwich. Do I cook it or use as is?

Any suggestions are welcome.

Old 12-04-2006, 02:12 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billdolfski
I was at the store recently and though I didn't have any plans for it, I don't usually see it around here so I picked some up.

Any ideas of what I could do with it, any recipes? I'm sure I could use in a sauce or something, but it on a sandwich. Do I cook it or use as is?

Any suggestions are welcome.
You will need to cook the pancetta. Try a BLT using pancetta instead of our smokey bacon..Wonderful.
I sometimes buy it in a chunk instead of thin slices, cut it into cubes, fry to crisp and blend it into polenta along with parmesan,any white cheese that melts well ( not cheddar tho) some butter,salt and pepper. Or take those same cubes of crisp pancetta and toss them into a salad.. I also add pancetta to some of my pasta sauces. Hope this will help a little.

kadesma

Old 12-04-2006, 02:15 PM   #3
Head Chef

A well known chef is doing an advert or a UK supermarket at the moment, with a recipe I have given to DH to adapt as its simple but gorgeous after work, here is our version:

Cubed pumpkin/squash (he is using kabocha), strips of pancetta, whole peeled chestnuts, a little evoo, and sage, all tossed in evoo and roasted. Near the end he puts a little Gorgonzola in to just melt over some of it and he is having this twice a week at the moment...
Old 12-04-2006, 02:16 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
if it`s Very thinly sliced, then if you get some Chicken or even turkey breast and cut that into strips about 1.5cms around, get a chili pepper like Jalapeno and cut that into strips too.
then lay the peper strip ontop of the poulty strip and wrap in the pancetta slice and pin it with a toothpick.

lightly oil a baking tray with olive oil and arrange them on there so that they fit nicely with even spacing.
and then cook for 15-20 mins on medium to high heat (depending on the ovens efficiency).

these are nice served with a salad or even a simple dip, but please take the toothpicks out 1`st :P

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 02:55 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

I use it as a fat source and flavor enhancer for tomato sauce, soups, stews, etc.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:10 PM   #6
Sous Chef

Funny you should mention it -- we're just about to eat some!

We use pancetta (and other fat-streaked pork like from the neck area) in what we call a 'lemonato' which pretty obviously means lemon cooking.

We brown the pork in some olive oil and then pour over it the juice of a couple of lemons and a bit of water, salt, and plenty of coarsely-ground black pepper (and/or whole peppercorns). Cover and let simmer on a fairly low heat for 30 or 40 minutes, topping up the liquid as needed (with more water).

The result is just meltingly tender with a wonderful, wonderful flavor. Very simple and a great favorite of everyone in the family.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:20 PM   #7
Sous Chef

Take thin strips of pancetta, dates and Stilton.
Remove the pit from the date, stuff with Stilton, wrap with pancetta, bake in the oven 10 - 15 minutes until crispy. Mmmm..
Old 12-04-2006, 10:18 PM   #8
Senior Cook

gotta have it for spaghetti ala carbonara
Old 12-04-2006, 11:12 PM   #9
Head Chef

Render fat of pancetta and add the bits when making bolognese sauce for spaghetti or lasagna.
Old 12-05-2006, 05:11 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
it`s also nice wrapped around Asparagus spears too, I seem to rem a Jamie Oliver recipe that did exactly that.

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None