"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 08-16-2007, 04:25 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Question I'm going to cook my first whole pig! Help?

I'm sorry I haven't ben around very much lately. I have been rediculously swamped with work, work, family, work, housework, work, family, work, etc...

Anyways, it's my turn to cook for our 7th anual block party. I was deemed head chef in charge of cooking a whole pig The pig will be about 60 to 75 pounds. I'd like to stuff it with fragrant fruits like apples, oranges, limes, etc. as well as plenty of herbs & spices (GARLIC). I will be using a rotissirie over charcoal. Of course the skin needs to be super delicious and crisp and the inside needs to be nothing short of perfect.

Any ideas on prep, cooking time & temp, favorite recipes, or any other hints & ideas to help me along. Oh, the party is next Saturday so time is definitely NOT on my side right now LOL.

Old 08-16-2007, 04:42 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Take photos.

Old 08-16-2007, 05:04 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

On a spit, eh? My parents had my mom's company party at our house once, when I was about 12, and they cooked a whole pig, which I actually witnessed ... never mind, but we lived in the country at the time, and the pig came from our neighbor two doors over.

Anyway, as I recall, they dug a hole in the backyard and started a charcoal fire in the hole. They put the whole pig in there, covered it up, and cooked it for a day or two. The day of the party, or maybe the day before, they took it out and put it on the rotisserie to crisp the skin. I'll give my dad a call and find out what they actually did - I'm sure my memory is not great, since I wasn't into cooking at the time
Old 08-16-2007, 05:10 PM   #4
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
I've never made a whole pig, but if I were going to do that, I would be googling all over for a recipe for "Lechon," which is the roast pig, Filipino style. It is SO delicious. I know that's how I'd like to do it....
Old 08-16-2007, 05:18 PM   #5
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
I cooked a whole one once with my brother at his place last year for the fourth. We built a cinder block pit and a pig holder. We butterflied the pig and cooked it that way. We got the idea from this site. It worked well and is fairly easy to do.

I take it you’re using a large rotisserie over a fire pit? This site gives some good pointers. One of the most important tips being that you have to truss the whole pig well. As it cooks and gets tender, it will pull away from the bone and can fall off the spit. The site talks about how you’ll need to secure the backbone to the spit, tie the legs and head to the spit and sew up the body cavity. Good info.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:04 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Yea, we're cooking it over charcoal with a rotisserie. We already have the rotisserie lined up so changing plans isn't really possible unless we spend the money to rent a flat grill.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:56 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

It must be emphasized. Secure it well to a heavy duty rotisserie!Have Fun & Good Luck!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 11:27 PM   #8
Head Chef

I have seen a whole pig roasted on a spit and the wrapped it in chicken wire and tied it with wire (baling wire) so nothing fell out and the skin was crisp
LOof luck A meat thermometer is vary handi to have 160*F is about right in the thickest part of the hog.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:58 AM   #9
Senior Cook

Yea, I heard the chicken wire pulls the skin off. The skin is either the best part or the second best part of the pig. I don't want to damage that. Plus, it kinda makes for a poor looking presentation whileit's rotating on the spit. I know it will be covered and all but when you have to open the cover to baste I want to see this beautiful golden tan carcass glistening with skin so perfect.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:24 AM   #10
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
I've never seen one done with chicken wire. and if you have the deepest part done to 160, the entire remainder of the pig will be stringy and dried out! I'd use a digital thermometer and set it for 150. The pig will continue to cook for quite some time after it's removed from the spit, and will easily reach 160 inside.

Check the Pork Council's web site if you have questions.

Tags
None