ISO Bacon Replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

battleangela

Assistant Cook
Hi

I am preparing a cream cheese filled chicken wraped in bacon. Normally I use regular bacon for the purpose capturing the salt and flavor in the baking process. With my fiancee, she is jewish. So I want to make the wrap for her but need to know of any alternative meats that are similar or non meats that can do the same?

Thanks for the help :chef:

If you just wanted to add it to a sauce or something like that I would suggest smoked tofu (don't knock it till you've tried it;) ). but for wrapping around something I think that KatieE's suggestion is a good one.:chef:

Well for the sauce, I normally use a sour cream mixed with spinach and garlic cloves but I am going to go with a mango puree with a little bit of salt, lemo, pepper, and cilantro. Any thoughts ?

I am confused about what her being Jewish has to do with it. If she keeps kosher then having the cream cheese with the chicken is just as bad as having bacon.

GB, as usual, is spot on.

Kosher dietary laws are far more extensive than just avoiding the meat of the pig.

Probably the most commonly observed are the bans against pork and mixing meat and dairy.

But there are many others that extend from the manner in which the animal is slaughtered to the dishes upon which the food is served.

It might be helpful if you and your fiance had a discussion regarding what kosher restrictions she observes.

Just a thought, good luck.

My suggestion? Go with open faced bagels with cream cheese, lox, a thick slice of tomato, a thick slice of bermuda onion, and a sprinkling of capers. Oh, and use paper plates!

Caine said:
My suggestion? Go with open faced bagels with cream cheese, lox, a thick slice of tomato, a thick slice of bermuda onion, and a sprinkling of capers. Oh, and use paper plates!

That sounds delish.:LOL:

Caine said:
Jews do eat more than bagels and lox ya know.

thanks for the advice

Also I mentioned I won't be using the cream cheese but a mango mix instead

Caine said:
Yeah, but he's already got the cream cheese, and if he can afford lox, she'll be impressed!
As a Jew myself, I would not be impressed. I would almost say I would be almost insulted.

Well, if you are concerned with the chicken drying out, you could brine the breasts for a bit before you stuff them. Good for adding salty flavor, too.

Also, you might sprinkle the top with parm cheese.

I've never had good luck with turkey bacon. Too dry, tough and chewy. Are you SURE she doesn't eat pork?

I LOVE the sound of your regular sauce .... not so much the alternative.

Lee

QSis said:
Well, if you are concerned with the chicken drying out, you could brine the breasts for a bit before you stuff them. Good for adding salty flavor, too.

Also, you might sprinkle the top with parm cheese.

I've never had good luck with turkey bacon. Too dry, tough and chewy. Are you SURE she doesn't eat pork?

I LOVE the sound of your regular sauce .... not so much the alternative.

Lee

Brine is nice but to long of a process for me

Also can't use cheese since to be kosher, you can't mix dairy and meats.

hmm, any alternative to turkey bacon then ?

thanks though ^_^

Brining breasts only takes two hours. It is not an overnight type of thing.

Don't they make a tofu bacon type product? I think I have heard of that. I am not sure how it tastes though.

GB said:
Brining breasts only takes two hours. It is not an overnight type of thing.

Don't they make a tofu bacon type product? I think I have heard of that. I am not sure how it tastes though.

I though brining take 24 hours ?

Then how do you brine ?:huh:

You are probably thinking of marinading.

To brine your breasts, mix up some salt water. Enough so that you can fully submerge your breasts. I never measure the amounts, but it should taste about as salty as the ocean (maybe a little less actually). Just let the breasts soak in that for 2 hours in the fridge. That is all there is to it. It will make a huge difference in flavor and moistness.

You can make much more elaborate brines, but just a simple salt water is the most basic and easiest.

Back
Top Bottom