"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 03-16-2009, 01:54 AM   #1
Senior Cook

ISO Best Spiral Ham

Hello Ham Lovers,

Is there a retail brand of spiral ham that you like very much? I purchased a Smithfield ham last year, and I was not pleased with it all. Do you have any recommendations?

Old 03-16-2009, 02:35 AM   #2
Master Chef

Yep - you might try one from HoneyBaked Ham ... don't know where you live but if they don't have a store near you they ship. Dad got one for Christmas one year that had a lot of girstle - he took the remaining half back and they replaced it with one that was even bigger than the one he originally purchased - no questions asked.

Old 03-16-2009, 06:05 AM   #3
Head Chef

Honeybaked brand is excellent but very pricey. At this past Christmas, I economized and bought an $18 Hillshire Farms brand spiral sliced ham instead of a $75 Honeybaked ham. I made my own glazea and it was quite good. I usually splurge at xmas and get the Honeybaked but this year I couldn't justify spending $75 for ham. Another brand I like in ham is Cooks. I've not tried their spiral sliced ham but the regular bone in ham is very good.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:00 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

I would be curious why you were not pleased with the Smithfield?

I've used both the Smithfield, HoneyBaked (Over Priced IMO) and a Bryan's (I think) all were pretty good for what they are...

A little more trouble, but well worth the effort IMO is to buy an whole bone-in ham..or a butt portion. Cook (225*-250*) on your BBQ Pit/Grill.. set up for indirect heat until you get between 135*140*...Pull, double foil, and let it rest for an hour or more....Slice to your desired thickness...Scraps, bone etc. can be frozen and saved for later use as seasoning meat in vegetables, soups etc. The bone itself is a gimme to make a ham stock for Red Beans & Rice....Some people call this method of cooking..."Double Smoked"

Enjoy!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:09 AM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

We have found the Carando spiral sliced ham to be very similar in taste to the Honey Baked brand and very tasty. Visit Carando.com . Their specialty is Italian but their hams are traditional.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:31 AM   #6
Executive Chef

I cannot stand ham in general. I don't eat it but if I'm going to Easter dinner and want to keep the peace, I bring a HoneyBaked ham. Basically three years ago there was a huge fight in my family when, pre-warned 3 weeks in advance, I refused to eat the generic "honey baked spiral" ham from Walmart. To avoid the fight in the future, I have taken to bringing the real thing, straight from the store. So, coming from someone who despises ham, I enjoy HoneyBaked.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:10 AM   #7
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
I would be curious why you were not pleased with the Smithfield?

I've used both the Smithfield, HoneyBaked (Over Priced IMO) and a Bryan's (I think) all were pretty good for what they are...

A little more trouble, but well worth the effort IMO is to buy an whole bone-in ham..or a butt portion. Cook (225*-250*) on your BBQ Pit/Grill.. set up for indirect heat until you get between 135*140*...Pull, double foil, and let it rest for an hour or more....Slice to your desired thickness...Scraps, bone etc. can be frozen and saved for later use as seasoning meat in vegetables, soups etc. The bone itself is a gimme to make a ham stock for Red Beans & Rice....Some people call this method of cooking..."Double Smoked"

Enjoy!
Uncle Bob,

It was the texture of the ham that disappointed me. It was moist, and I brought it up to temperature slowly, but the pig that the ham came from must have been fed a diet of rubber tires. The meat was tough.

I have had Honey Baked before, and they do make a very good ham. They cost so much, though.

I heard about a company called Schaul's that has a tasty ham that was rated very good at the New York Food and Wine Show. The price isn't bad. If I get it, I promise to report back to you.

I have looked for the Cooks Hams in the stores in my neighborhood, and can't find them.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:33 AM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by toni1948 View Post
Uncle Bob,

It was the texture of the ham that disappointed me. It was moist, and I brought it up to temperature slowly, but the pig that the ham came from must have been fed a diet of rubber tires. The meat was tough.

I have had Honey Baked before, and they do make a very good ham. They cost so much, though.

I heard about a company called Schaul's that has a tasty ham that was rated very good at the New York Food and Wine Show. The price isn't bad. If I get it, I promise to report back to you.

I have looked for the Cooks Hams in the stores in my neighborhood, and can't find them.
Exactly why I don't like or buy Spiral Cut Ham. I go for the "old fashion" ham. Sometimes I glaze it with Apricot/Mustard glaze, most times not.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:16 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by toni1948 View Post
Uncle Bob,

I know what you mean about the meat being tough (chewy) --- On a rare occasion or two I have run across that problem...It can be disappointing -- However I wouldn't give up on Smithfield...Their products are normally very good...As are the (Over priced IMO) Honey Baked...In my area the Cooks hams or mostly used around Holidays as "Promotional Hams" --- Front page, low price leader --- In store obvioiusly they have other pricer (better?) hams. I've never heard of the Schaul's, but I look forward to your report should you choose that route...I used to be able to buy a Bryan's Ham locally that was awesome -- Whole, Bone in, etc, that I would "double smoke" It gave me a somewhat more dense texture..Still moist and tender, but not that "mushy" "spongy" texture that some of the Water(added) Cured hams can have at times. I have enjoyed the Spirial Cut hams, but at the end of the day I"m like Miss Patty1 -- Give me the "Old Fashion" whole, bone-in ham...

Enjoy!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:30 AM   #10
Executive Chef

We buy Smithfield. We've only been disappointed with it once, that was when his cousin overcooked it.

Tags
None