ISO brats help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kadesma

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I'm going to be having brats this weekend. What do you feel is the best way to grill them. Should I simmer them in beer first? Not bother with beer and just grill. My s-i-l usually does this but will get here to late so I'm on my own,
kades

I've tried it both ways and now I just grill them. Actually, although I like brats from time to time, I like them better cold the next day.

Simmering first ensures they are cooked through, so you can just grill them to a nice
skin, without worrying if they are "done."
I do them both ways, depending on my mood.

Simmering first ensures they are cooked through, so you can just grill them to a nice
skin, without worrying if they are "done."
I do them both ways, depending on my mood.

Why are sausages the only thing, usually, that people do that with?

Here's what I do:

I build me fire on either end of the grill. Keep the ash pan a little low but not all the way down. Put a drip pan in the center and put a bottle or two of Strongbow in; you can use apple juice or another hard cider if Strongbow isn't available.

Next, drink a Strongbow. Put sausages on grill in the center. I stick a probe in one to watch the temps. Drink a Strongbow.

Once your sausage is to your happy zone temperaturewise I raise the coals up, slide the middle grates and turn the sausages a couple times to get a bit o crisp. Pull, cover, drink a Strongbow.

Eat.

Here's what I do:

I build me fire on either end of the grill. Keep the ash pan a little low but not all the way down. Put a drip pan in the center and put a bottle or two of Strongbow in; you can use apple juice or another hard cider if Strongbow isn't available.

Next, drink a Strongbow. Put sausages on grill in the center. I stick a probe in one to watch the temps. Drink a Strongbow.

Once your sausage is to your happy zone temperaturewise I raise the coals up, slide the middle grates and turn the sausages a couple times to get a bit o crisp. Pull, cover, drink a Strongbow.

Eat.
got it sounds like a plan. One question, who scoops up the cook?
kades:ROFLMAO:

:LOL:

Seriously though.. the hard cider leaves a nice apple undertone. And with the indirect grilling I have not had burst brats.

Here in brat-land (I'm w/i spitting distance of Wisconsin, land of the brats as America knows them) everyone I know steams them in beer, then finishes them on the grill. I grew up part of my life in Germany, and there, if I'm remembering correctly, they were always simply steamed.

Back
Top Bottom