ISO Brown Bacon Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs. Cuillo

Sous Chef
So I made DH some bacon about three days ago but obviously did not make the whole pound. (Though he has eaten that much in one sitting before.) The remainder I put in a Ziploc bag and threw it in the fridge. Well...I went to use it tonight on something and it has turned a brown color. It's almost like the blood from the bacon had dried a little. Is that what happened or is it the affects of the air getting to it or is it just bad?

I can't imagine it's bad. It's salted and somked to preserve it. If the bacon is nitrite free the color will change.

I'm with Andy. It doesn't make sense that it is 'bad" I seriously doubt blood is an issue at all. If the Zip Lock failed in some way you might see some discoloration and drying. How does it smell? Is it just ordinary, everyday bacon?

Uncle Bob said:
I'm with Andy. It doesn't make sense that it is 'bad" I seriously doubt blood is an issue at all. If the Zip Lock failed in some way you might see some discoloration and drying. How does it smell? Is it just ordinary, everyday bacon?

It smells fine...the color just made me worry a little bit. :ermm:

At least a week. For me, I cook the whole pound
and put it in a ziploc to use whenever. I like it
in salads, in scrambled eggs or nuke it for a few
seconds to rewarm. I don't have bacon that often
so it would probably waste if I didn't cook it all.
Also its just one mess.

We often use only a few slices of bacon, seal the remainder, and use it for at least a month (don't use bacon all that often).

Can't imagine most bacons not containing nitrite/nitrates. Don't have any bacon in the fridge but looked at packages of franks, chorizo, kielbasa and Genoa and they all listed nitrites and or nitrates.

Why the color change I don't know but if it smells OK I'll bet it just fine.

Well thank you everyone...I appreciate your help with all of this. I knewI went to the right place to get my answer!!

much of the red color of meat is from a neutral gas preservative. As oxygen surounds the meat, it turns more of a brown color if salted, purplish if not. Your bacon is fine if it smells fine. If it were "bad" it would smell sour and rotten. I buy loose bacon in the butcher's case...and it is brown. It is also double applewood smoked and incredibly yummy!

Back
Top Bottom