ISO cooking pork shoulder/pulled pork w/crock-pot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I didn't intend to suggest that Memphis style pulled pork was the only variation worth making. I was simply offering a technique for achieving that style using a slow cooker, and finishing with smoke generated by fire and wood.

As far as the time in smoke is concerned, the pork is already pulled and sits in a large pan, which increases the exposed meat to the smoke. When the meat is then stirred, more meat surface is exposed to the smoke particles. This gives more of the meat that smokey goodness without drying it out.

I wholeheartedly support the idea of trying other means of cooking, and flavoring/enhancing the great flavor of pork, be it slow-roasting in a pit,in banana leaves, cooking Memphis style, or as carnival, Jersey pork, or whatever you want to try. It's all good.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I like anything porky and pulled. It doesn't matter how it is achieved, I'll eat it. Even bad pulled pork is good.

Speaking of pulled pork ...

004.JPG

This was on our menu rotation,
but I just couldn't find the time to make more, until today.
My version of Hawaiian-Style Pulled Pork,
Oven Kalua Pork, MMM!
DH saw this pan cooling on the kitchen back counter and asked if he could have some,
Me: Of course you can have some! Grab a fork and a small plate.
DH: How would someone on the mainland eat this do you think?
Me: On a Hawaiian Sweet Roll as they call it here, served like a slider is what I've seen.
DH: MMM! Can we try that too?
HA!

But ya know, I wish that American Pork Farmers would please
produce an animal with a bit more fat to it.
I thought that I had picked out the piece of
best marbled, porky-goodness, only to have
my final product on the dry side, very little "juice".

I like to go to the Asian Market down in Tucson to get my Pork Butt
for Kalua Pig, mainly because it has more fat...
the place I go to grows and butchers their on piggies,
very fresh meat indeed :yum:
The last time we had to go down there, I brought enough
for two rounds of Oven Kalua Pig.
So later this week I'll make some Lomi Lomi Salmon
and Ahi Poke (oh and of course some steamed white rice, natch) to go along side.
I'll divvy this 4 pound pan of meat up into manageable packets,
freeze it and use as needed for our small fix of home :w00t:

As far as the time in smoke is concerned, the pork is already pulled and sits in a large pan, which increases the exposed meat to the smoke. When the meat is then stirred, more meat surface is exposed to the smoke particles. This gives more of the meat that smokey goodness without drying it out.

Ah, that changes things. I've never tried it, but sounds logical.

I hate it that this program changed words that it thought I was trying to say. Carnival was supposed to be carnitas, and jersey was supposed to be jerked.

Being from Jersey, I wondered what "jersey" pork was. :LOL:

CD

I've smoked a bunch of pork shoulders (butts) and to be honest, the smoke only penetrates about a half inch into that dense cut of meat. The bigger the butt, the less smoke flavor you get in your pulled pork.

One of the things I like about pork butt is how many ways you can cook it, and still have it taste great.

CD

Yep. I just have a cheap electric smoker, but I can do a pork shoulder with only a minimum of attention and it always seems to come out great. My only caution is not to shred the meat into mush. It should by done fairly coarsely so that it retains texture and pork flavor, not just a homogeneous hash that tastes wholly of barbecue sauce.

I agree that each guest adding his own sauce to his personal sandwich is preferred, but if serving a large crowd it can be easier to apportion if it's presauced. The key is not to over sauce the meat. When properly seasoned, smoked pork really doesn't require being drowned in any sauce, no matter how good.

Back
Top Bottom