ISO Country rib information

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

legend_018

Head Chef
I might be making some Spicy Beer Brined Country Ribs today. It says to keep in brine for 6 hours, but I'm going to have to cut it down to 4 hours. I'm going to cook them in a shallow pan of water covered in foil at 275 for about 4 hours. Than I'm going to baste them with bbq sauce and put back in the oven uncovered for another hour.

what degrees should i have the oven on for the last hour? Same 275?

I also want to make corn bread and I'm nervous about taking the ribs out and baking the cornbread, possibly having to wait for oven to heat up more before putting corn bread in and waiting 20 minutes for the bread to be done. I'm nervous about the Country Ribs getting cold. Is that something I should be concerned about?

FYI: I'm only buying 1 package since it's for me and DH only.

I don't have time to have them cooking for 8 + hours if I do make them today. If I make them tomorrow, than I might have more time. So 4 hours plus another hour will have to cut it for today. I'm sure it will still come out good.

legend_018 said:
I also want to make corn bread and I'm nervous about taking the ribs out and baking the cornbread, possibly having to wait for oven to heat up more before putting corn bread in and waiting 20 minutes for the bread to be done. I'm nervous about the Country Ribs getting cold. Is that something I should be concerned about?

When you take the ribs out, cover them with foil and wrap it tightly around the edge of the pan. They should stay warm while the cornbread is cooking.

legend_018 said:
I might be making some Spicy Beer Brined Country Ribs today. It says to keep in brine for 6 hours, but I'm going to have to cut it down to 4 hours. I'm going to cook them in a shallow pan of water covered in foil at 275 for about 4 hours. Than I'm going to baste them with bbq sauce and put back in the oven uncovered for another hour.

what degrees should i have the oven on for the last hour? Same 275?

FYI: I'm only buying 1 package since it's for me and DH only.

I don't have time to have them cooking for 8 + hours if I do make them today. If I make them tomorrow, than I might have more time. So 4 hours plus another hour will have to cut it for today. I'm sure it will still come out good.

Legend_018 - Brining is a good thing in many cases as it pretty much ensures that flavoring and moisture will be infused. My concern is why you are using "water" to cook the meat in?? When you use water to braise or otherwise boil meat, you loose a good deal of flavor. If you want to braise, look into using broths, wines, or other techniques. Just using water will leech away the flavor.

Often times, a recipe will call for you to cook something either a long time and slow, or someother way, but if you do not post the actual recipe, it is difficult for others to make suggestions.

In my case, I would never use "water" to cook any meat in. Water is a component of anything we consume, but if you use H2O to cook in (in my opinion) it's either becasue you are cooking "root" vegitables, or pasta.

Regards,

Casper

When you wrap your ribs to stay warm, place them on top of the stove in the middle between the burners if possible. The heat from the oven and the pilot flames should help to keep them warm.

THanks for the help. Everything worked out great. The ribs were just a slight overcooked though, but still tasty and good. I never have much luck with them. My DH's crockpot method is a pretty TNT way. I had brined a small package of country style ribs and than cooked them at 275 from about 1:30pm until around 5pm. Than, which is where the mistake was I think, I slapped bbq sauce all over them and put them back in the oven. I than turned the oven up to 400 getting it ready for the cornbread. I left the ribs in there for a good 1/2 hour before taking them out.

I just put a very smidgy of water in the pan, but not when I put the BBQ sauce on. The recipe said to put water in the shallow pan. Actually I forgot about it and the water ended up evaporating anyways until I told my DH to put a little more in. :ohmy:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom