"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 08-10-2006, 07:24 PM   #11
Master Chef

I make what I call ham salad, in lieu of calling it what it really is: balogna spread. My kids were crazy about it, as are most of my friends now. While there is a lot of sodium in the balogna, it's diluted some by the other ingredients.
I promise your that Carson will like it, and you probably will too.

This recipe makes a big batch. You can cut it in half if you wish. You will need a meat grinder. For years, I used an old hand cranked cast iron one that screwed onto the counter. Now I have the Kitchen Aide.

2 lbs. good balogna
1 lb. mild cheddar cheese
8-10 hard-boiled eggs
Miracle Whip Lite
Mustard
Sweet Pickle relish

Put balogna, cheese and hard-boiled eggs through grinder into large bowl. Add about 5-6 heaping soup spoons of Miracle Whip, 4-5 heaping soups spoons of sweet pickle relish, undrained, and 1 heaping soup spoon of plain mustard. These amounts are approximate. Mix well and taste. You'l probably need more of everything, but better to add a little at a time.

Spread on plain or toasted bread, or crackers.

Of course, you can also make this with ham, but it tastes saltier. My mom also used to make it with leftover roast beef, and my dad and I loved it! You might give it a try. For that one, you may prefer to grind dill pickles into it, instead of using the sweet relish.

Old 08-10-2006, 08:04 PM   #12
Executive Chef

This was a lunch staple in our house. My Mother added a bit of mayo, some regular mustard, and a hefty dose of relish. The green stuff out of a jar. It made great sandwhiches.

Old 08-10-2006, 09:50 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
I make what I call ham salad, in lieu of calling it what it really is: balogna spread. My kids were crazy about it, as are most of my friends now. While there is a lot of sodium in the balogna, it's diluted some by the other ingredients.
I promise your that Carson will like it, and you probably will too.

This recipe makes a big batch. You can cut it in half if you wish. You will need a meat grinder. For years, I used an old hand cranked cast iron one that screwed onto the counter. Now I have the Kitchen Aide.

2 lbs. good balogna
1 lb. mild cheddar cheese
8-10 hard-boiled eggs
Miracle Whip Lite
Mustard
Sweet Pickle relish

Put balogna, cheese and hard-boiled eggs through grinder into large bowl. Add about 5-6 heaping soup spoons of Miracle Whip, 4-5 heaping soups spoons of sweet pickle relish, undrained, and 1 heaping soup spoon of plain mustard. These amounts are approximate. Mix well and taste. You'l probably need more of everything, but better to add a little at a time.

Spread on plain or toasted bread, or crackers.

Of course, you can also make this with ham, but it tastes saltier. My mom also used to make it with leftover roast beef, and my dad and I loved it! You might give it a try. For that one, you may prefer to grind dill pickles into it, instead of using the sweet relish.
Thanks Connie,
I'll give this one a try too. I'm sure I'll have to let DH hve some too and hope some is left for me to try
Thnks again
kadesma
Old 08-10-2006, 09:52 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loprraine
This was a lunch staple in our house. My Mother added a bit of mayo, some regular mustard, and a hefty dose of relish. The green stuff out of a jar. It made great sandwhiches.
Thanks Loprraine,
all the help i've gotten today is just great. That little one is set with all the new ideas.

kadesma
Old 08-10-2006, 09:54 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shunka
You're very welcome!! I know how frustrating it can be with fussy little eaters.
Shunka,
Carson was here this afternoon and he loved the deviled ham. We got a whole sandwich down him as well as some rice and beans and mashed avocado. Thank you again..And I wish you could have seen that little boy sitting there with half a sandwich just eating and eating and then he'd look up and smile..We have a winner

kadesma
Old 08-10-2006, 09:59 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgirl
Wow, I almost fell out of the chair when I saw ISO in the title of a post by you. LOL j/k!!
I don't care for the canned either, unless it goes in a recipe and the salt is covered by other flavors.
Thanks Shunka!!
Texas, I was desperate to get meat into Carson and my first thought was go ask at DC..I'm so glad I did As I expected, you all rallied around.. I like the taste of this deviled ham it's wonderful andI've already decided to for the adults of course , add some minced green onion, a little tabasco and use it on crackers or cucumbers YUM

kadesma
Old 08-10-2006, 10:03 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Baked
Kadesma,

My boys wouldn't eat anything that they had to chew alot either. I took them to the pediatrician and he said it was very common and the name of it was "Lazy Eater". They just don't like to chew until they can swallow it.

Thank goodness for cuisinarts.
Amen to that Jan, Carson has just gotten his molars and I know his little mouth is still rather sore.I'm hoping that he begins to enjoy small pieces of meat as he grows older.

kadesma
Old 08-10-2006, 10:05 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliveb
Dear me - here's a 54 yr old with the same problem!! I've never been able to chew meat, so I don't eat it.
For iron supplements, many green vegetables are rich in iron, as is guava fruit. I used to make a spěnach and Ham cocktail for my boys - all blended with a little chicken stock.
Of course, you could try vegemite...
Clive, the little guy loves veggies, but even though I can handle vegamite, I think he have a fit Now the spinach and ham sound good so I'll give that a try for him too. Thanks.

kadesma
Old 08-10-2006, 10:19 PM   #19
Head Chef

So glad to help!!!! Been there myself. Your ideas of add-ins will work perfectly!!!
Old 08-10-2006, 10:23 PM   #20
Senior Cook

I make my devilled ham with cubes of ham, mayo, sweet pickle relish and dijon mustard. Just process in the food processor. I just bought a ham today, and was thinking of baked ham with scalloped potatoes (it's getting cooler up here now, so time for the oven to come on), but once I have done that, a devilled ham sammie is on it's way.

Tags
None