ISO good sausage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jabbur

Master Chef
I'm not into making my own! My family likes Bob Evans brand but they stopped shipping it to my area. Can't find a store within 50 miles that carries it! Anybody have another favorite that I may try? I know I can get some when we go visit my in-laws in Ann Arbor but I'd like to have something for in the meantime.

Do you mean for breakfast sausage? I like Jimmy Dean. For kielbasa, we usually get Johnsonville.

I thought Walmart carried Bob Evans products. Have you checked there?

Yeah, Jimmy Dean is pretty much the same thing in the regular flavor for breakfast sausages. Whether it's linked or in the roll.

Our WalMart carries the patties and links which is fine but I also like to get the roll sausage for sausage gravy and biscuits, pizza, chili, spaghetti sauce etc. and use it like hamburger to change the recipe flavors on occasion. I guess I need to talk with the managers and see if they would be willing to order some for me. I'll give Jimmy Dean's a try first.

I really like the "no-name" sausage one of our little grocery stores makes. They sell it in bulk. You might check with your butcher, they might have "no-name" too.

Old Folks brand isn't too bad, as I recall. It's been awhile.

Last edited:
I like Jones breakfast sausage. Simple and straight-forward. Ingredients = pork, water, salt, spices, sugar.

When we first moved to VA from OH (Bob Evans home state) I tried several different ones that were "local" companies and we hated them all. Then Bob Evans started shipping to VA. YAY! Have been very happy for the last 20 years. Now all of a sudden they've stopped shipping it. Boo! Next time I'm at the store I'll get 1 pkg of Jimmy Deans. We like his frozen sausage biscuits so maybe the roll will be okay.

SO found a local sausage shop near her work and brought home a package of breakfast sausage. I was excited that it would be better than what we had been getting. It wasn't, flavor was seriously lacking. She then bought some of their Chinese sausage and it's fantastic! I guess the only real solution is to just keep trying.

You know I'm just across the river from Smithfield VA famous for their hams so you would think we could get good sausage locally but they were all really fatty and either too strong or no flavor. One was so peppery we couldn't eat it. The blend of flavors in Bob Evans is just right and it's fairly lean. I usually have to add either bacon grease or butter to make the gravy since there's little fat from browning the sausage.

I'm lucky. There is a place in Kalispell that makes it's own and is very good. It's distributed to all of western MT.

One alternative to purchasing ready-made "breakfast" sausage is buying fresh ground pork and adding your own spices. I've been doing this for a couple years just because it was such a painless way to remove one more source of questionable ingredients from the table.

For each pound of pork add:
1 1/2 T sage
1 t rosemary
1/2 t crushed red pepper
several grinds of black pepper
3/4 t sea salt

You can then make patties and freeze them. Or you can cook the patties and then freeze them to re-heat later.

I don't remember where I got this recipe though, somewhere off the internet, so I can't give proper credit, but whose ever it is THANK YOU!

One alternative to purchasing ready-made "breakfast" sausage is buying fresh ground pork and adding your own spices. I've been doing this for a couple years just because it was such a painless way to remove one more source of questionable ingredients from the table.

1 1/2 T sage
1 t rosemary
1/2 t crushed red pepper
3/4 t sea salt

You can then make patties and freeze them. Or you can cook the patties and then freeze them to re-heat later.

I don't remember where I got this recipe though, somewhere off the internet, so I can't give proper credit, but whose ever it is THANK YOU!

Sounds good. Do you use fresh or dried sage and rosemary?

I use dried, only because it's always around. If I did use fresh sage, I'd probably use about half the amount. For some reason I don't purchase that fresh except around the holidays ... I think I need to get some to add to my little collection of herbs out on the patio. =)

Thanks. I have both in my herb garden. At the end of the summer, I cut back my herbs and dry enough to refill the bottles in the kitchen.

1 1/2 T sage
1 t rosemary
1/2 t crushed red pepper
3/4 t sea salt

I really like this idea, Zereh. I, too, grow my own herbs and have lots of fresh and dried. Thanks!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom