"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 02-20-2009, 12:21 AM   #11
Sous Chef

Oh, yeah! Never forget the cornbread, or Johnnycake as it's know in parts Southern. A small helping of Knob Creek also works wonders...............

Old 02-20-2009, 01:03 AM   #12
Master Chef

Jabbur, I freeze my bean soups all the time and they thaw out just fine.

Here is the bean soup mix that I use. You can mix it up to make 5 portions that you can use later or you can use the amounts in parenthesis to make a single portion. I have also make this recipe in the slow cooker and it turns out perfect.

Basic Bean Soup Mix

Dried bean mix:

1 lb. dried kidney beans
1 lb. dried yellow lentils
1 lb. dried green split peas
1 lb. dried black beans
1 lb. dried black-eyed peas

or (1 lb. of mixed beans)*

To prepare dried bean mix, combine the first five ingredients in a large bowl. Divide the bean mixture into 5 equal portions (about 2 cups each), and place in airtight containers.

Spice mix:

5 teaspoons salt (1 tsp.)*
5 teaspoons dried basil (1 tsp.)
5 teaspoons dried rosemary (1 tsp.)
5 teaspoons dried thyme (1 tsp.)
2 teaspoons black pepper ( tsp.)
1 teaspoons crushed red pepper ( tsp.)
5 bay leaves (1 bay leaf)

To prepare spice mix, combine the salt and next 6 ingredients in a bowl. Divide spice mix into 5 equal portions. Place in small airtight containers.
*Amounts in parenthesis are for single portions of the recipe.

Additional soup ingredients for 1 packet of dried bean soup mix and 1 packet of spice mix:

6-8 cups water
1-2 smoked ham hocks (1/2 lb.)
1 cup chopped onion
1 (14.5 oz.) can no-salt added diced tomatoes, undrained

To prepare soup, sort and wash dried beans. Place in large pot. Cover with additional water 2” above beans; cover and let soak 8 hours. Drain. Combine drained bean mixture, 6-8 cups of water, and ham hock in large pot; bring to boil. Add packet of spice mix, onion, and tomatoes. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 2 hours. Uncover and cook for one hour. Discard bay leaf. Remove ham hock from soup. Remove meat from bone. Shred meat and return to soup. Makes 6 servings.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 07:28 AM   #13
Senior Cook

Uncle Bob's recipe/technique is much the same as mine, except no green pepper in mine. I like ham hocks with lima beans but any bean is fine.

My "secret" when cooking almost all dried beans is to add a tablespoon of so of vinegar towards the end of the cooking process. You don't taste the vinegar but it does wonders to bring out the flavor of the beans.

If interested, here's my cornbread recipe: http://www.mamas-southern-cooking.co...cornbread.html. This is a fairly dense cornbread that holds up well to soups, etc. I like to break it up into pieces and add it directly to the beans. If you prefer a lighter texture, increase the baking powder to 1 tablespoon.
"Im going to break one of the rules of the trade here. Im going to tell you some of the secrets of improvisation. Just remember its always a good idea to follow the directions exactly the first time you try a recipe. But from then on, youre on your own." - James Beard
FincaPerlitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 08:36 AM   #14
Head Chef

Since you have never made beans before, you may not know that you have to sort them before cooking--dump a few at a time into your hand or a bowl and pick out any little lumps of dirt or rocks. Then rinse the sorted beans in water to get rid of dust and dirt.

A rock in your beans will certainly spoil your dinner.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:37 AM   #15
Head Chef

OK..
Soak the beans for a few hours, or overnight.

Change the water, toss the ham hocks in along with a couple of bay leaves, quarter an onion, toss that in along with some salt and let the beans simmer...
Thats about it...

We used to server beans at our little restaurant every Monday. Thats what we did and they would flock in to get them.

When you server, have raw onion available along with ketchup and pickle relish(trust me on this). Just a dab of ketchup and pickle relish in the beans and onion on top... try it.. it's great!

oh.. when its done, shread the meat off the ham hocks and add back to the beans.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:48 AM   #16
Sous Chef

Adding a teaspoon of ground ginger per pot of beans is said to help eliminate the gas.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:22 AM   #17
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave the baker View Post
Adding a teaspoon of ground ginger per pot of beans is said to help eliminate the gas.
Why in the world would you want to eliminate the gas ? The simplest of life's pleasures in these tough times
Old 02-20-2009, 12:02 PM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugger View Post
Why in the world would you want to eliminate the gas ? The simplest of life's pleasures in these tough times
We are still fighting cold weather so you cannot sit next to the warm cozy fireplace!
Old 02-20-2009, 03:09 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
We are still fighting cold weather so you cannot sit next to the warm cozy fireplace!
roger that, don't want to read about any accidents on the news
Old 02-20-2009, 04:54 PM   #20
Head Chef

actually, the long overnight soak helps with the gas problem..

Tags
None