ISO Ham Hocks and Beans recipe TNT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay, I soaked the beans overnight. This morning I drained and rinsed, put them in a pot with 2 ham hocks and 8 cups water. I figured I make the whole pound since I wanted to mash some up to thicken it. I guess this was all done by 9:00am. I let it cook all morning. Stirred occasionally. About an hour to hour and a half before I wanted to serve them I added chopped onions, garlic and pepper. Half and hour before serving I baked the cornbread. Oh I forgot, before adding the onions I took out the hocks, cooled them while chopping the onion. Removed the meat and added it back in. All in all I think they came out good. I think next time I will use a little less water and a little less garlic. (I added 1 tbs minced). I used the navy beans this time since it was the first bag I came to in the pantry. I think I will add more meat next time too. Thanks everyone for all your tips. This was definitely an easy meal to fix.

Just to let you know, DH LOVED the beans!!! I don't know how many times he went back for more and I only have half a soup bowl left! I figured we'd be eating beans for the week but I guess not!:huh:

Jabbur said:
I think I will add more meat next time too.

I usually have extra cubed ham, saved for beans, in the freezer...A good hand full is good eats! Don't forget to try the sausage idea too...Sliced and quartered smoked sausage..browned off, and added towards the end is good. A good size link cooked and served on the plate is a nice addition...Hot sauce on the table is a plus...Cornbread is over-the-top good, but the Red Wine, French bread, Side Salad approach is delicious too!!!
Bananas Foster for dessert???:chef:

Enjoy!

I've never done beans this way but it sure sounds good. Ham hocks are usually used for pea soup in our house. Since I'm the only one who will eat that now I think I might have to try the beans thing. Thanks all.

UB, green onion a better flavour then just plain old chopped onion as a garnish?

Its warming up here and this sounds like a cold weather meal but I think I might have to give it a try. You know what? I sort of wish I'd seen this before our annual chili cookoff. I think I'd have brought this instead to see how it went over.

Pugger: I apologize; I was remiss in suggesting ginger to cut down on the "Bean Effect". Indeed, much has been written, sung and said about the salubrious result of consuming that most nobel of the legume family. A poem comes to mind that will remind everyone of the joy of this glorious dish:

Ode to the Bean

Beans, Beans, the musical fruit,

The more you eat the more you toot,

The more you toot the better you feel,

So let's have Beans for every meal!

Need I say more?

Thought I'd revive this as I have a pot of beans and ham bones on right now. I picked over, rinsed and soaked overnight. I have them simmering with a ham bone now. These are white beans, should I add some "stuff" to flavor them near the end? Molasses, tomato paste? I'm going to add some bacon, as I don't think there is much meat left on this ham bone. Got some onion in there now, and some green onion ready to go in later. No peppers here as no one here likes them cooked. Other suggestions?

Do I need to add anything "sweet"? All the beans I've had are sweeter than I suspect this will be.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom