"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 02-19-2009, 02:23 PM   #1
Master Chef

ISO Ham Hocks and Beans recipe TNT

I've been wanting to make some beans and ham but have never done it before. I picked up a package of 4 smoked ham hocks and 2 1-lb bags of beans, (1 navy, 1 great northern). I've google recipes and searched forums so I have a good idea of the process but the amounts of the onion, garlic and other ingredients are so widely varied! Also not sure which bean would be the better choice since most recipes just say "beans" and don't specify type. I plan on soaking the beans overnight on Friday and cooking them on Sat. Any recipe or tips you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-19-2009, 03:13 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Some tips/ideas I would offer.....Either bean will work for you --- 1 lb of dried beans makes a lot of beans!! You may wanna consider using less...Say 1/2 to 2/3 of the bag will yield plenty for two or three people...with left overs possible.--- 2 Avg size hocks should be enough for that amount of beans --- Cook/simmer them, along with a couple of bay leaves to render all the flavor/fat etc --- Take the hocks out..cool...remove any meat, and reserve for later -- The "stock" from the hocks is what you wanna cook the beans in after soaking --- Seasonings can be as simple or complex as you want -- Salt. pepper, garlic, a pinch or two of thyme would be basic for me --- Onion (1 Cup) bell pepper (1/2 cup) would fall within the basics for me --- I like to add all seasonings towards the end of cooking so as not to totally over cook them ---- Sometimes throwing in a little chopped green onion, and parsley at the very end before service can be very good...Say 1/4 cup of each more or less....Add any meat from the hock at the very end...just long enough to heat through....A side of Smoked sausage (4" or 5" link or more) per person is yummy! Some rice completes the meal...along with French bread....Wine etc...

Have Fun and Enjoy!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 03:28 PM   #3
Master Chef

Thanks Uncle Bob. Knew you would have some advice for me. Funny you didn't mention which whiskey goes well with this meal! I was thinking of making some corn bread to go with since that is what Mom always did. Unfortunately she died several years ago before imparting her method. Some of her recipes are just a list of ingredients! Her cooked mayo recipe gives measurements for the sugar and flour and milk but everything else is a chunk of this a squirt of that a bit of something else! Fortunately she had make those recipes while she was still around to eyeball my chunks!

Another question - Can you freeze this after cooking like soup?
Old 02-19-2009, 03:44 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Yep, what UB said!!! I've never done green pepper in my beans - will have to try that. Also, I have cubed a potato in the mix. This will thicken the liquid for some mighty good soppin'!!!

I'll add what UB forgot

Cornbread works wonders with beans and ham hocks. We usually like to add some small diced raw onions to our individual bowl and if there is some hot chowchow available, that goes on too - yummy!

Oh, and BROWN whiskey goes best!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 03:51 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Agreeing with UB -
You might consider removing all the meat from the hocks and
returning the bones to the beans while they cook.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:20 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Another question - Can you freeze this after cooking like soup?
I've never frozen beans that were cooked by this method...My guess is they wouldn't be too sporty once thawed...Pureed into a soup of sorts??.. Maybe yes....

Mashing a few of the soft beans against the side of the pot will cause them to thicken to your desired consistency....

An excellent Kentucky Bourbon of at least 100 Octane would make an delicious cocktail...

Have Fun!

Old 02-19-2009, 05:11 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Well, I freeze beans all the time in chili so I don't know why you couldn't freeze these.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:09 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchenelf
I've never done green pepper in my beans
You most go there....It's a good thing!

In fact a little Trinity is fairly common in Red Beans down here..I normally just go 2/3 of the way---leaving out the 'Sel-Ree'

Old 02-19-2009, 10:58 PM   #9
Master Chef

Thanks for all the tips. I know I'd like the green peppers but DH wouldn't so those will be left out. I'll post here again Sat. evening and let you know how they came out. I'm looking forward to this! Seems like since the kids are out of the house and DH is gone most evenings, all my cooking happens on Sat!
Old 02-20-2009, 12:13 AM   #10
Head Chef

No recipe for beans...just throw them in a pan...with your hamhocks...or ham, cover with water and cook until they're the doneness you want. The only thing I have to do is set a timer so I can remember to add more water as they cook..(otherwise I'll let them go dry)...then when they start to get the softness you want...quit adding water and let them cook until they're as done and thick as you want. I agree with the poster that said smash a few of the beans! In the last bit of cooking add any other ingredients you want.

Tags
None