ISO Help Improve This Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StirBlue

Head Chef
I am not trying to save anything. I used the following ingredients in a dish:

long grain white rice
cubed ham
can of sliced tomatoes
can of golden hominy
can of black beans (rinsed)
oregano, basil, fennel, msg., and curry powder

The dish had beautiful color and tasted good. We ate it for dinner. But it is missing something and I am not sure what. (it contained about 4 servings of rice, 2 cups ham....the seasonings were probably 1 tsp and 1/2 of msg)

I would add chopped onions and/or green chiles to that. Some cheese might be good.

I'm with urmaniac here - first thing I thought of was fresh cilantro and I also thought of fresh lime juice. Some caramelized onions would also be the ticket like turtledove mentioned. With that in mind you've almost got some hoppin' john!!! ...or at least my version anyway!

This may also take a bit more salt than you are used to using because of all the rice. Also a little bit of cumin.

I see you are using oregano, basil, fennel, msg., and curry powder. I would eliminate these things if you are going to change it to what we have already suggested.

A can of Ro-Tel would also be the ticket - especially the one with the lime, onion, and cilantro already in there! If you don't want heat in this dish then be sure and get the mild version.

turtledove said:
I would add chopped onions and/or green chiles to that. Some cheese might be good.
Turtledove,
now, that sound like the ticket...

kadesma:)

kitchenelf said:
I'm with urmaniac here - first thing I thought of was fresh cilantro and I also thought of fresh lime juice. Some caramelized onions would also be the ticket like turtledove mentioned. With that in mind you've almost got some hoppin' john!!! ...or at least my version anyway!

This may also take a bit more salt than you are used to using because of all the rice. Also a little bit of cumin.

I see you are using oregano, basil, fennel, msg., and curry powder. I would eliminate these things if you are going to change it to what we have already suggested.

A can of Ro-Tel would also be the ticket - especially the one with the lime, onion, and cilantro already in there! If you don't want heat in this dish then be sure and get the mild version.

I have another recipe similar to this one that I am going to make in a few days. I bought a can of the Ro-Tel and of course will omit the previous spices. (mixing in to many spices is like mixing all of your food dyes together and making brown.....but in this case it would be paste! :sick: )

StirBlue said:
ingredients in a dish:

long grain white rice
cubed ham
can of sliced tomatoes
can of golden hominy
can of black beans (rinsed)
oregano, basil, fennel, msg., and curry powder

Hello StirBlue:)
If this is a hot dish, I would leave out the oregano, basil and fennel.
I would add some lemon juice, salt, oil, garlic sugar and onion.
If cold, I would leave out the curry powder, and add onion, lemon juice, salt sugar and oil.

By the way, what is hominy?

Mel

Thanks. Hominy is puffed whole kernel corn that comes in a can. There are two kinds, white & golden. Another use for it would be in a Mexican soup recipe called Posole (chicken or pork with chilies).

Like several of the folks around here, I would go with caramelized onions and garlic.

If you leave out the seasonings from the first, original post, as well as the hominy, you also have a good start on a nice batch of Jambalaya. Add some Cajun or Creole seasoning, maybe some andouille or keilbasa, and you're good to go!

Back
Top Bottom