"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-18-2007, 05:03 PM   #1
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Illinois/USA
Posts: 1,343
ISO Help Improve This Recipe

I am not trying to save anything. I used the following ingredients in a dish:

long grain white rice
cubed ham
can of sliced tomatoes
can of golden hominy
can of black beans (rinsed)
oregano, basil, fennel, msg., and curry powder

The dish had beautiful color and tasted good. We ate it for dinner. But it is missing something and I am not sure what. (it contained about 4 servings of rice, 2 cups ham....the seasonings were probably 1 tsp and 1/2 of msg)

__________________

__________________
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." --- Thomas Edison
StirBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 05:07 PM   #2
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 4,764
Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
chopped fresh coriander leaves?
__________________

__________________
urmaniac13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 05:29 PM   #3
Senior Cook
 
turtledove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 128
I would add chopped onions and/or green chiles to that. Some cheese might be good.
__________________
turtledove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 05:33 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
 
kitchenelf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 19,725
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I'm with urmaniac here - first thing I thought of was fresh cilantro and I also thought of fresh lime juice. Some caramelized onions would also be the ticket like turtledove mentioned. With that in mind you've almost got some hoppin' john!!! ...or at least my version anyway!

This may also take a bit more salt than you are used to using because of all the rice. Also a little bit of cumin.

I see you are using oregano, basil, fennel, msg., and curry powder. I would eliminate these things if you are going to change it to what we have already suggested.

A can of Ro-Tel would also be the ticket - especially the one with the lime, onion, and cilantro already in there! If you don't want heat in this dish then be sure and get the mild version.
__________________
kitchenelf

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 05:42 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
 
kadesma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: california
Posts: 21,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtledove
I would add chopped onions and/or green chiles to that. Some cheese might be good.
Turtledove,
now, that sound like the ticket...

kadesma
__________________
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 07:16 PM   #6
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Boston area
Posts: 2,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma
Turtledove,
now, that sound like the ticket...

kadesma
Ditto!

Lee
__________________
QSis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 10:02 PM   #7
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Illinois/USA
Posts: 1,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
I'm with urmaniac here - first thing I thought of was fresh cilantro and I also thought of fresh lime juice. Some caramelized onions would also be the ticket like turtledove mentioned. With that in mind you've almost got some hoppin' john!!! ...or at least my version anyway!

This may also take a bit more salt than you are used to using because of all the rice. Also a little bit of cumin.

I see you are using oregano, basil, fennel, msg., and curry powder. I would eliminate these things if you are going to change it to what we have already suggested.

A can of Ro-Tel would also be the ticket - especially the one with the lime, onion, and cilantro already in there! If you don't want heat in this dish then be sure and get the mild version.
I have another recipe similar to this one that I am going to make in a few days. I bought a can of the Ro-Tel and of course will omit the previous spices. (mixing in to many spices is like mixing all of your food dyes together and making brown.....but in this case it would be paste! )
__________________
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." --- Thomas Edison
StirBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 11:20 PM   #8
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Raton,NM, USA
Posts: 4,573
Onions and garlic?
__________________
jpmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 12:50 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
 
kitchenelf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 19,725
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by StirBlue
but in this case it would be paste! )
Double and ewwwwwwwww
__________________
kitchenelf

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 04:51 AM   #10
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by StirBlue
ingredients in a dish:

long grain white rice
cubed ham
can of sliced tomatoes
can of golden hominy
can of black beans (rinsed)
oregano, basil, fennel, msg., and curry powder
Hello StirBlue
If this is a hot dish, I would leave out the oregano, basil and fennel.
I would add some lemon juice, salt, oil, garlic sugar and onion.
If cold, I would leave out the curry powder, and add onion, lemon juice, salt sugar and oil.

By the way, what is hominy?

Mel
__________________

__________________
Mel! is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.